The more you write the less you read

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanessa99

Does anyone here find that the more into writing they get, the less reading you do? Not because you don't have time to read, you just don't want to as much. Or if you do read when your working on a novel the book you read inspires you to start an entirley new story? Reading prevents me from finishing novels quickly, or at all. Anyone else have this problem? If so how do you keep yourself motivated to finish the story you were working on and not start another? Can you separate the realms of writing and reading from one another?

macalicious731

I find I'm reading less not because of writing, but because I'm finding less and less novels I enjoy reading. When I find a good book, I can spend the entire day reading it until I've finished. I spent last summer doing exactly this, and finished close to 50 novels.

I suppose it's the college scene that's cutting into my reading (and writing time) but I'm awaiting a stash from Amazon I hope will pull back into a good book.

Jamesaritchie

I think steady reading is essential to good writing. I just don't think one can be done without the other.

No, reading doesn't make a novel take any longer to write. Why should it? Whether I read or not, I'm still going to spend the same hours on the novel. Same time, same place every day. There are reading hours, and there are writing hours. I use the reading hours for reading, and the writing hours for writing.

As for finishing what I was writing, doing so is simply a decision. You decide to finish something, or you decide not to finsih something. Finishing what you start is one of the best habits any writer can develop. It's what stops a great many amateurs from joining the ranks of the pros.

If you start something, you finish it. Once this is a habit, there's no problem. Writing should be a habit, reading should be a habit, and finishing what you start should be a habit.

Eowyn Eomer

Just watching a movie can inspire me and distract from the story I'm writing. When I feel distracted like that because other ideas are coming into my head, I try to avoid writing for awhile to allow my mind to clear and refocus.

Now when it comes to reading, I like reading and I find that it's important for me as a writer. I find that I write better after I've been reading. I've been reading professional writing and so grammar and form and all of that are fresh in my mind, so when I start to write, I find myself structuring sentences better and all of that. I find that if I don't read for awhile, my writing skills seem to slack off. So I find it critical for myself to read to help keep my writing skills sharp.

If I get any ideas, I try to think of if they'll work with what I'm trying to write at the moment, if they do, I'll try to incorporate the idea somehow. If not, then I let the idea go. I really should keep a journal.

I find that I don't read as much simply if I busy myself with other things, like playing on the internet. :p

novelator

James,

I am like you. I write during my writing time, I read during my reading time. I finish what I start.

Three very good habits I got into right out of the gate.

I don't see how reading can slow the writing of a novel down. If anything it's a good break, a good mental refresher. But I can't buy the argument that there's not much out there to read. You learn as much from reading bad fiction as you do best-sellers--in some cases, maybe more.

YMMV

Mari

Writing Again

I don't have a "time" to do anything.

Once I get started writing I tend to keep writing. If I get stalled on one story I jump to another. I take a breather and check out the boards, grab a cup of coffee, go back. This is why I do not dare write in the morning before I got to work. I'd get fired quick. The same is often true when I start after work. I'll look up because the alarm is going off telling me to go to work...And I've gotten no sleep.

Reading is very similar, except I will fall asleep reading more often than when I'm writing.

Writing does interfere with my reading. If a book is not as interesting as what I'm writing, then I find myself putting the book down and starting to write.

I spend time on these boards I would otherwise spend on reading. It does not seem to cut into my writing much though.

As for ideas, I always have a half dozen or more running around in my head. By the time I've finished with one project I've usually decided on the next one up. I also tend to have several projects going at the same time. Right now I'm working on my novel, and a screenplay.

arainsb123

Does anyone here find that the more into writing they get, the less reading you do?

Not at all! Ever since NaNoWriMo began, I've been reading a lot more.

JuliePgh

I find myself reading more now. I don't have a set time for reading, but on the whole, I'm more inspired and eager to read than ever before. Part of this stems from my own writing, and the lessons I learn as I write. I then want to reread "old" novels or read new ones with a writer's eyes.

What I've found incredible is my sudden desire to do research and the fact that it doesn't seem like a chore as it did in college. I'm beginning to appreciate my library more and more these days! I only wish I had more time to devote to reading. I have my set time for writing, and have no problem sticking to it, as this is a passion I look forward to each night. Even now, squinting at the screen with a full blown migraine, I should be in bed, but I can't tear myself away! Break's over, have to get back to "work"!

mr mistook

I suspect I'm more like WritingAgain. Free time is writing time, period. Between work, and all the household chores, time is at a premium, and if I'm to ever finish what I've started, all free time goes to the novel.

"What are you doing out here, then?" You might ask.

Interacting with other aspiring and accomplished novelists as I have out here is drastically improving my writing, in my opinion. Therefore it's saving me time.

I've read and read and read, for years. Now it's time to write. Right now, the main benefit of reading is *the act of being a reader* which breaks me out of *writer* mode long enough to understand the audience. If anybody has time for reading... I'd strongly suggest the "share your work" section of the Water Cooler, where the effort can directly help the cause. :)

SRHowen

I read at the dinner table, and in the tub. Only time I can get it in and I do love to read. Often if I am at a wall in one of my stories I'll pick up one of my fav authors books and it helps my brain shift gears away from my story so that when i go back to it I can move on.

Shawn

alinasandor

I totally see how you say that you write less when you read. I do that, too. When I read (or watch a good movie) I start to write like the author or stray into that genre. Since I read everything I can get my hands on, that can be a problem. I try to only read the genre I am writing at the moment.
I know this probably is confusing to those of you who don't have this problem. I guess I sort-of have a sponge-like brain at times. The only problem is that it doesn' t ring out when I'm ready to write. :grin

Writing Again

I have increased my "reading" time by getting books on tape and or cd from the library and listening to them as I drive to and from work, etc.

And I always have a book with me. To me standing in line at the bank, post office, whatever, is reading time.

preyer

alin, i'm more like you in that i take in outside influences. however, i love that. music is my 'worst' influence.

i really don't read much fiction anymore, not like i used to. more often than not, it's a magazine like 'smithsonian' or 'archaeology today'. i have a decent library of reference material to go through just for fun. i watch the history channel a lot, things that i can't imagine many people other than myself being interested in.

for the non-professional, it can be a hairy balance. between work, chores, a spouse and kids, it's easy to see why it takes some people years to write a novel. reading *and* writing on top of that? jeesh! lol. even if you're passionate about reading and writing, life demands you prioritize responsibly.

want to hear something ironic? my wife recently got laid-off, and now reads an entire novel almost on a daily basis. i wish i had that much time! pisses me off, lol.

veingloree

I think I read less when I write more becaiuse writing fills a similar 'story-telling' need for me -- it's just me telling me the story instead of somebody else.

arrowqueen

I'm of the 'write when it's writing time and read when it's not' school, too (in between the mundane stuff like housework, cooking, and taking care of elderly relatives.)

What I have found is that I read less since I discovered the internet. I used to get through 6/7 books a week, now it's down to just 4/5.

So it's all your fault!

;)
aq

Jamesaritchie

I'll also add this. I find that if I don't read regularly and widely I soon forget what good writing is, what good storytelling is. And believe me, it doesn't take long to have a serious impact on the quality of my own writing.

Trying to write fiction without reading regularly and widely is like trying to swim without water in the pool. You can lie on the bottom of the pool and go through the motions, but you won't get anywhere, and you'll look pretty silly in the attempt.

stormie267

For me, it's about the same as it was five years ago. Only now when I read, I read more slowly to see how the author wrote a scene, or developed a character.

katdad

I do less recreational reading the more I've been seriously writing, and yes I regret this.

I put my casual reading aside and get to writing the novel.

Maybe when I'm rich and famous I'll sit back, cigar & brandy at my side, and read more stuff.

HollyB

I've had a life-long passion for reading, and I can't imagine sacrificing my time reading for time writing. Especially since they're so mutually beneficial. I write when my mind is fresh and clear (mornings and early afternoons) and read when I'm tired or need to recharge (afternoons and evenings).

I do find that I read differently now. I pick apart scenes, analyze characters, find plot holes, etc. For me, the mark of a really good book is when I put all that analysis aside and just enjoy the story.

Jamesaritchie

I've never known a successful writer who wasn't first and foremost an avid reader. Reading isn't something writers make time for. Reading is something writers simply do. They make time for everything else.

tjosban

It seems the exact opposite of writing more reading less for me. I have read just about everything I could get my hands on for as long as I can remember.

I recently began to really pursue my interest in writing again, and I had been reading less because of school and my 2 jobs.

As I continue to write and work on multiple projects, I read more and more. I am re-reading books I own and getting new books. I think it's time for a trip to the library because I can't afford to buy books all the time. The desire to read as well as write is overwhelming.

Just my two little pennies.

mr mistook

I've never known a successful writer who wasn't first and foremost an avid reader. Reading isn't something writers make time for. Reading is something writers simply do. They make time for everything else.

Well I guess I'm just a hopeless, deluded hack then. Sheesh! :b

eclectic wench

I don't think there's anything that could stop me reading.

The difference, as far as I can see, is that when I'm writing I tend to read books of a much higher quality. When I'm not writing, I'll read a mixture of stuff, everything from classics through beach reads. When I'm writing, I only want the really, really good stuff - and I think it does my own writing good. I guess it's like needing healthy food, not junk food, if you're running a marathon...

zerohour21

For me, reading can sometimes help the writing process. Other than that, there isn't much of a correlation here. I read when I want and write when I want. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.