PDA

View Full Version : I kicked ass and got back my domain!

aruna
07-06-2007, 08:03 PM
If you don't know the story read my sig, if you know, then let those champagne corks fly!
Here's the mail I just got:

Type Qty ExtAmt Description / Status
================================================== =============================
1 $0.00 sharonmaas.com / Successful

TOTAL BILLED: $0.00 USD to your

Thanks again for using eNom for your online services. If you have any questions regarding this order please visit our support center on our web site at http://www.enomcentral.com/help/.

I can't believe it...

The_Grand_Duchess
07-06-2007, 08:05 PM
Yay!

MidnightMuse
07-06-2007, 08:08 PM
WooHoo! You GO girl ! :D

aruna
07-06-2007, 08:20 PM
hmm. But the ad site is still up. I better bark some more!

cray
07-06-2007, 08:32 PM
you are master of your domain

aruna
07-06-2007, 08:34 PM
Gimme a whip!

benbradley
07-06-2007, 08:40 PM
If you don't know the story read my sig, if you know, then let those champagne corks fly!

I can't believe it... big ole nasty enom, gave me back my domain!
Hot damn!

You mean this isn't YOUR picture?
http://sharonmaas.com/images/template/Large-Square/0012_female_student.jpg

you are master of your domain
Yes, where's the host? I dunno how exactly a domain gets tied to webhosting (and I HAVE a domain name...), but it may be a simple matter of logging in and changing that. They may leave it there by default until you change it.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
07-06-2007, 08:50 PM
w00t!!!!!!! Wonderful news!

auntybug
07-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Congrats! I love a happy ending:D

Way to kick booty!

Pat~
07-06-2007, 08:54 PM
Way to go, aruna! :D

san_remo_ave
07-06-2007, 10:02 PM
Awesomeness! Congrats!

maestrowork
07-06-2007, 10:06 PM
I love a strong woman who kicks asses.

benbradley
07-06-2007, 10:13 PM
It's gone now! Did you do something, or did it just "go away" on its own?

aadams73
07-06-2007, 10:17 PM
Fab!

Maryn
07-06-2007, 10:17 PM
Will the host site be flaying the domain usurpers alive? Because we all want to watch.

Maryn, big fan of justice

September skies
07-06-2007, 10:41 PM

(and from sig story)...The domain came up for renewal. I was notified under the old address, but of course I did not receive the mails. After several reminders. the domain expired, and the website went offline. I contacted the provider; they told me that the domain name was now in a special status where it was due to expire, but could be manually reinstated if I pay $100. I thought, hell no (money is short right now), I'll just let it expire and then buy it again...It had a month to go, after which there would be 5 extra days before it became available again. I waited, checking in every day to see if it was available. ...The other day I checked in - and found it was taken! Apparently there are folk who trawl the net for expired domains and then snap them up so as to resell them - and profit from the acquired traffic!

Same thing happened to me! I didn't fight. I didn't know I could do anything. I had a wonderful website for 10 years
www dot classof76 dot com
and I knew it was coming up for renewal but I no longer had the email I had signed up with for at least two years (I always signed up for two years in a row) and I contacted them - many times - finally I was told to wait for it to expire and buy it right back. Me, being naiive, never imagined it would be snatched. I checked every day. Not available, not available -- then next day, taken!
I panicked and contacted the place and they said they would sell it to me for $10,000 -- WHAT????
I lost it. After 10 years and lots of traffic - I lost my wonderful site.

I now have classof76 dot u.s. (currently on hiatus)

but I am still mad over them stealing my original site. This was about four years ago. They still haven't sold the site. But the fee has gone down.
It is only $2,688 if I want it back.

Oh :snoopy: -- so happy for you!

dclary
07-06-2007, 10:54 PM
Same thing happened to me! I didn't fight. I didn't know I could do anything. I had a wonderful website for 10 years
and I knew it was coming up for renewal but I no longer had the email I had signed up with for at least two years (I always signed up for two years in a row) and I contacted them - many times - finally I was told to wait for it to expire and buy it right back. Me, being naiive, never imagined it would be snatched. I checked every day. Not available, not available -- then next day, taken!
I panicked and contacted the place and they said they would sell it to me for $10,000 -- WHAT????
I lost it. After 10 years and lots of traffic - I lost my wonderful site.

I now have classof76 dot u.s. (currently on hiatus)

but I am still mad over them stealing my original site. This was about four years ago. They still haven't sold the site. But the fee has gone down.
It is only $2,688 if I want it back.

Oh :snoopy: -- so happy for you!
I had a great website name "playmore.com." But I got lazy, stupid, and broke all about the same time, and I let it lapse. It got bought by a new company...

MICROSOFT.

Yeah, fat chance I'll ever get THAT one again. For a while it forwarded to their X-Box site. Now it doesn't do anything, but they still own it.

aruna
07-07-2007, 02:14 AM
It's gone now! Did you do something, or did it just "go away" on its own?

I did something. I told them to take it off, and an hour later they wrote back to say it was gone.

OK, I know that all this proves is that my domain was too worthless for them to fight for, but it really feels good!

And now it's off to bed for me - yawn. I'm not usually up this late.

aruna
07-07-2007, 02:17 AM

It really rankles, doesn't it! Even after I put my new site up the very fact that they'd swiped it was a thorn in my side. Sorry you lost yours - but there's no way of telling if fighting would have helped.

Cath
07-07-2007, 02:53 AM
:e2woo:

Fabulous news, Aruna.

Soccer Mom
07-07-2007, 05:37 AM
:whip: All right, Sharon! You go, girl!

September skies
07-07-2007, 05:44 AM
It really rankles, doesn't it! Even after I put my new site up the very fact that they'd swiped it was a thorn in my side. Sorry you lost yours - but there's no way of telling if fighting would have helped.

Thanks. and No. I doubt it would have helped had i fought.
You had an excellent case and it was your name and your work.
I'm so glad it worked out for you. :)

ATP
07-07-2007, 06:28 AM
I seem to recall reading an article about this swiping activity by these companies. I think that there was some overseeing industry organisation one could appeal to. Also, this organisation ruled that swiping such as happened with Sharon's site (personal) for blatant commercial purposes was not allowed. Or something like this. Was it ICANN? Sorry, I can't remember. A little bit of work on Google should clarify the matter. I believe that this may have something to do with the reason Sharon got her domain name back as quick as she did.

Medievalist
07-07-2007, 06:31 AM
Aruna you need to change the DNS record; ask your ISP for help.

Ali B
07-07-2007, 06:35 AM
YAYAYAY You go Girl!!!

Sean D. Schaffer
07-07-2007, 06:46 AM

I can't believe it... big ole nasty enom, gave me back my domain!

Right on, Aruna! That's some awesome news, considering the stuff I read about your dilemma in the Roundtable.

Sincere congratulations to you!

:hooray:

ChunkyC
07-07-2007, 06:18 PM
Congrats, Aruna!

Aruna you need to change the DNS record; ask your ISP for help.
Yup. The records that list where your domain actually lives was still pointing at the computer hosting their site, it just needs to be changed to point at yours.

aruna
07-07-2007, 07:13 PM
yes - <Mike Coombes is looking into it right now. I have no idea how to do these things....nor even what you mean!

Perks
07-07-2007, 07:38 PM
That's the way to do it. Good job!

aruna
07-08-2007, 04:31 PM
Mike has fixed it so that .com clicks right through to .co.uk.

Pamster
07-08-2007, 09:51 PM
That is just awesome Aruna! Way to go getting your domain back. That is definitely awesome news! Thanks for sharing with us, I did read the other thread but I lurked. ;)

Carrie in PA
07-09-2007, 03:21 PM
Yay!