Portfolio question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SecretScribe

Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately I didn't keep a lot of the reports that I have written in past jobs, so I don't have those bits for my portfolio. But the question is - if and when I do get more stuff written, can it be put into a portfolio? The problem is that most of the things I have written (e.g. research reports) are proprietary information and should not be handed to other companies. So how do you show a potential employer your skills if you can't show them the work you have done in the past?

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
I handle this in two ways:

It's OK to let people know that I worked with Foo Company preparing research reports for new product development. In the resume, I tell what the general topic of the report was and then state "Corporate confidential". I'm careful to not let the resume info give away more info about the research than one might find in the industry gossip ... I never give enough info to identify a product unless it's been formally announced.

Ask the employer if I can show the reports if the proprietary sections are obfuscated (replace all indentifying and quantitative data with XXXX or fake names), and if thge answer is yes, I obfuscate one version and save it as a PDF, being careful to strip all metadata that might give away info.

pattyh

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freelancewritingriches.com
You can also address this issue by asking the client to write a testimonial about your work when the "clip" is proprietary. If you can't show the actual writing sample, a great reference is the next best thing!

Good Word

still crazy after all these years
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wordmountain.com
All good suggestions above, and hopefully here's one more:

If you are talking about an in-person meeting, there may be some cases where you can bring the document to an interview and let the potential client/employer see it, but not keep a copy. The doc doesn't leave your sight. Sometimes people just want to see what you've worked on, hold it in their hands and flip through it, but they don't feel the need to read every word. They don't even want to. They just want proof that you've done something, and it's perfectly acceptable to black out the most confidential information.

Edited to Add: I do think it's a good idea to demonstrate your carefulness about showing work that you did elsewhere. It will give the potential client some assurance that you will also treat their company information with the same level of respect and confidentiality.

Last edited:

shawnrohrbach

Registered
Reaction score
Portfolio

I wrote some articles several years ago (wel 30 yeas ago) or a mountaineering magazine and then about 20 ears ago for an investment magazine. When I contacted them, they had e-versions from micofishe and sent them to me. I have also maintained an extensive electronic portfolio whereby I can easily print out any scanned copy of printed article if n editor or publishers ass or it. I tried to save tear sheets, but living n the Pacific Northwest, no mater what I did, the moisture always won and they lasted maybe ten years. I find the portfolio useful when I am trying to score some business or technical writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.