Mother, Mum, Mom, ma, m...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DracoMerest

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.iinet.net.au
When I read 'mom', it can throw me a little until I become accustomed to the form. I much prefer ‘mum’ as I have always been taught and it feels better. Writing mother all over the place looks way too formal and cannot, sensibly, be used in dialogue.

‘Mom’ looks like the contraction of Mother while ‘mum’ sounds like the contraction. Unless I am mistaken, everyone pronounces the word as ‘muther’ or, here in Oz, ‘mutha[r]’

Are they any undocumented rules? Or common consensus? Preferences?

Draco…
[o]

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mom (or one of the other choices) is used in the US, mum in the UK. Mum is always never used by a native US speaker.

If the setting is England, Australia, etc. then it's fine to use mum, even if the book is aimed at a US audience. If the setting is the US, or the character is from the US, then use mom.

I'm not sure about Canada. Oi, proabably. :) Just being silly; I really don't know what's more commonly used there.

Reaction score
Oh my. A negative rep point. "Comedy is the lowest form of communication," apparently. No-one tell a joke - it makes you stupid!

DracoMerest

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.iinet.net.au
Good point Alleycat. Hmmm, what's the Anglicize version used in Japan I wonder? Perhaps I'll go with 'mom' as I believe that to be the case and the ratio of US people here to others is far greater.

Thanks.

Reaction score
I wonder if I can get three neg-reps in the same thread. Whadaya say, huh? Or you could just get over yourself?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another small point, "mother" is sometime used in dialogue and as a direct address by some Americans, especially in certain families. It would be more common in upper-class families.

"Mother, what shall we serve for brunch?"

"It was so difficult living with mother."

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Mama is also common in the US, although there may be regional preferences. And it is a common usage for young children, like it's counterpart, Daddy.

Mommy is also very common usage for young children.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just to answer the earlier question ... it's usually "mom" in Canada too. :)

notpc

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I though MAMA only went with "ooh mama, that's the spot!"

They realy don't understand MUM here, US. A MUM is a plant. I misspelled it in the third grade when I moved from London to Seattle.

Last edited:

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
It seems there's a private battle going on between Scarlet and Draco?

Scarlet, this is not Office Party or TIO. Please confine the more urbane humor to forums where it is more appropriate. I will not tolerate poking at individuals just for the sake of poking or this retaliatory posting you seem to be engaging in.

Draco, it is not your responsibility to "reprimand" other members, nor is that the purpose of negative rep points. Rather than repeated negative repping another individual, you should have used the reported post function much sooner.

If the two of you are not able to play nicely with one another, I suggest you place each other on ignore.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
When I read 'mom', it can throw me a little until I become accustomed to the form. I much prefer ‘mum’ as I have always been taught and it feels better. Writing mother all over the place looks way too formal and cannot, sensibly, be used in dialogue.

‘Mom’ looks like the contraction of Mother while ‘mum’ sounds like the contraction. Unless I am mistaken, everyone pronounces the word as ‘muther’ or, here in Oz, ‘mutha[r]’

I call my female parent mom or mother, and I do not pronounce the former mum or the latter muther.

My use of the two terms depends on the situation and the context. Growing up, my mother did not wish us to call her 'mom', although she did not chastise or correct us when we picked up the term from pour playmates. Hence, the two became interchangeable, except difference in tone, rhythm, body language, and context also add meaning to both terms.

Is 'mother' more formal? Well, yes, often, but not always. It can mean, "You're embarrassing me" or "I'm really mad at you right now" or any number of things. Again, it depends on the delivery. It can be used in dialogue, and quite sensibly, too, if that's what the character would call their female parent or if the situation warrants it.

Are they any undocumented rules? Or common consensus?

The rules, as others have indicated, are dependent on socio-economic background and what part of the English-speaking world the character is from. You just have to make it believable for the characters you are writing.

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
Well, I'm British and I use Ma and Mama (with the emphasis on the last syllable) just to confuse the situation - but yes, Mum is more common in the UK. Mom is almost unheard of.

DracoMerest

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.iinet.net.au
Thanks for all the input. I think I'll go with 'mom' for the Japanese girl. However, I'll not change the form for other characters from countries with alternate preferences who may refer to their own parent. Consistancy is something I strive for so 'mom' it is; keep the MC in control.

And I think I'll read it again with an eye for any unwarranted negative uses of 'mother' (implied or otherwise) [thanks Birol]

Draco...
[o]

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I used to use mama, as in . . .

"Mama, I promise I'll never do it again!"

(I was lying.)

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
I've actually never said mom to my...female parent. I call her mommy, mama (the spanish way), maman (french way), mum (when I'm being british), and sometimes mother, but not usually.

I like to keep it international....

but, anyway, in Japan they call moms "haha" which would be awkward in any English book...so I'd go with mom because I think they teach american english there, so that'd be the form taught instead of mum

but i could be wrong about that...

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
I say Mom when I'm talking to her, but when I'm speaking about her to someone else, it's my mother. When she's on my last nerve, I call her Mother. I was raised in New England.

My husband says Mother both when speaking to or about her, and once in awhile will refer to her as Mom, but never to her. He was raised in Texas.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I think "Mom" should always be paired with the word "Soccer."

In the American south, Mama is common. Mommy connates a young child. Mom as the child grows older. Mother (accompanied by eye roll) is for when you embarass said older child.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
My mother is "mum" to me, or "ma" in a pinch. "Mother" gets me a slap around the ears :D

My husband works with one of those pussy-men who's heart belongs to mommy and no one else. This pussy-man always answers his phone "Hello Mother!"

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's possible different sections of the US use the term differently. I know I use Mom, when talking to her, but Mother when referencing her to others. As in:

My Mother does that, too.

I use Dad, and Father the same way.

I only say Mum when being silly (not that Mum is silly, but when it's not your norm, you use it that way)

But when it comes to Ma and/or Pa, I know people do use those, but no one I know does. Oh, but one thing that gives me shivers is when a man refers to his wife as "Mother." That's just . . . wrong.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
but, anyway, in Japan they call moms "haha" which would be awkward in any English book...so I'd go with mom because I think they teach american english there, so that'd be the form taught instead of mum

but i could be wrong about that...

The Japanese have also borrowed "mama" and "papa" and use these terms in addition to native ones. So, I'd use "mama."

Status
Not open for further replies.