Girls with Boys' names (Necro Thread Alert)

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
No offense to anyone who fits the bill, but I'm really getting tired of all these girls turning up with traditionally male names.

I mean, there's always been Bobby and Jo and Nicki and Phil short for Phyllis, etc. But I think the latest trend started with Sam short for Samantha. Now I think there's probably girls named Samuel too. Then there was Sydney.

Now I just read the lead female character on a hot upcoming TV show is going to be named Chuck.

Chuck!

I mean, Alice Cooper aside, you don't see men wanting to be called Jennifer (not unless they also prefer women's clothes) or Jane or Helen or Mary, do you?

But once Chuck goes over to the other side, who's next? Marvin? Saul? Fletcher? Hubert?

Just had to get this off my chest. (Don't get me started about tattoos).

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
Heheh :D How about Jayne in Firefly? He's a man with a girl's name (or at least sounding like a girl's name).

Personally, I like Charlie and Sam for a girl but I have to admit that Chuck's a bit much X-P I suppose 20 years from now we'll all find it perfectly normal...

Also, I know two guys named Kelley which we think of as a girl's name although I'm sure it wasn't originally. It's all about trends and what people consider manly/womanly sounding. Who knows, maybe 50 years from now Mary will have become a boy's name...

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
There's a certain LadyJay who might pound me into oblivion if I suggested Jay was a man's name (my name, in fact). I try to fly below her radar so she doesn't declare Jay to be strictly a female name.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Biker chicks with tattoos rock, especially when they have names like Grub, Vomit, Ooze and Scabies. I'm just saying.

-Derek

Reaction score
I hate being called Nicky - it sounds like a little girl's name. I'd rather be all manly. Call me Nick.

And if anyone objects to women having male nicknames - perhaps you could petition for a ban on so many female names being derived from male ones? Roberta, Davina, Nigella, Nichola...

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are a lot of names that were traditionally for one sex that is now for both. Carol was a man's name, and I've known of two males named Renee. And a male called Rachel. Go figure that one out. I think it is fine. My grandma was named Georgia because he dad wanted a boy. Not so sure about that as a motivating factor in naming, but from how she talked I knew she was well loved by her dad. Don't forget the Boy Named Sue.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I hate being called Nicky - it sounds like a little girl's name. I'd rather be all manly. Call me Nick.

And if anyone objects to women having male nicknames - perhaps you could petition for a ban on so many female names being derived from male ones? Roberta, Davina, Nigella, Nichola...

No problem, Nickels.

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com

Isn't having Nick for a Nickname redundant?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Girls called Sean is too weird for me

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
Biker chicks with tattoos rock, especially when they have names like Grub, Vomit, Ooze and Scabies-Derek

I didn't know the Spice Girls reunited.
Actually, I think they did reunite.
You must be referring to the Pussycat Dolls.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
There's a certain LadyJay who might pound me into oblivion if I suggested Jay was a man's name (my name, in fact). I try to fly below her radar so she doesn't declare Jay to be strictly a female name.

Consider yourself reported.

:D

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score

I have a real big problem with adults who use cutesy-wutesy versions of them name. Like grown men called "Bobby," or "Tommy. It gives me the willies.

I use "Alex" as the shortened version of my name, although once or twice someone has tried to pin "Lexie" on me. So I killed them( or maybe not--but I wanted to.)

Last edited:

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I read somewhere most dog's names end in ey or ie.

Some boy's names are cute on girls, I think...Stevie, Charley... Billie :)

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I was having this conversation the other day with my husband. It was provoked when we ran across a couple who had just named their daughter "Thompson." We objected mainly because the name actually contains the word "son." IE, literally "Son of Tom."

That aside, we started thinking about girl vs. boy names, and then surnames becoming first names. It seemed to us that the trend goes from surname to male name to girl name. I mean, a large majority of accepted girl names today started off as boy names, and a lot of those boy names started off as surnames. Kelly is one that pops to mind immediately.

And as someone else said, a LOT of female names are just feminized versions of traditionally male names. Why not just use the male name and get it over with? I don't like derivatives.

Also one thing that really annoys me is that it seems like most girl names mean things like "beautiful" or "flower" or, you know, girly things. Grace, light, love, etc. etc. And boy names mean "strong" or "bold" or whatever. What if I want to give my daughter a strong, bold name? Something that inspires confidence? For these reasons, I honestly would consider using a "boy" name for my (hypothetical) daughter.

Besides, somebody has to do it first, right? I mean, someone had to be the first one to name their daughter Francis or Kelly or Nicky or Dana or Tracy or... you get the point.

Ali B

Just Hanging Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alinabradford.com
Hmm...Let's see...My dad, my brother, and my cousin (boy) are all named Kelly. My daughter's nicknamed Sam, so is my aunt. My brother-in-law's middle name is Gale, as well as my nephew. I've been called Al...I guess my whole family are poster children for this thread.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I processed an application for a girl named Logan.

I had to call one of our issuing agents and verify that, yes, I had an application to process for Mom's Name Jr. and Mom's Name Sr. JUNIOR AND SENIOR, PEOPLE! Jeebus Crisp, Junior and Senior are fecking stupid enough when you have fathers naming their sons after themselves (CAN YOU TELL I'M A JR.?! DOES IT SHOW?! DIDN'T THINK SO!), and don't get me started on the whole "so, does II or III come after Jr.?" jazz.

*screaming tackle at cameraman*
*static*

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Reminds me of the scene in My Big Fat Greek Wedding, where Gus was introducing all the members of his family: "Over there, let's see, we have Nick, Nick, Nick, Nickie, Nick, Nikie, Nick, Nick..."

Foinah

Smoking Monkey Smart Arse
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.foinahjameson.com
Our friend asked if he could name our baby as a birthday present to himself. We jokingly agreed thinking we were humoring him. He told us, straight-faced, that he wanted to name our daughter Frank Ruth.
Ummmm, no. That's what he calls her anyway.
Her real name is wacky though : 1st: Solas, 2nd: Nialidhe, Second 2nd: Tyr. Maybe she would have preferred Frank.

Mom'sWrite

Service with a smile
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.returnengagement.blogspot.com
Carol is a boy/girl name. My mother dearly hoped that I would hook up with my cousin's cousin's cousin, a sweet guy with the last name of Carroll. If we had married (which we didn't) and if I had changed my last name to his (which I wouldn't) I would have been Carol Carroll.

My mother is demented.

Fingers

My cat Toby
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in the woods around Portland Oregon
My fathers mothers name was (1st) Jim (middle) Betty (last) Shirley. My son is named Linnley Kenneth. My daughter is Toni Marie. Both are step kids but I raised them since they were both wee young uns. A name is a name.

yer pal Brian

ccarver30

Nicole Castro
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com

This is why I go by Nico. I hate Nicky. Bleh!!!!