Requierying Agents

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
I feel like I've read things about this before, but I can't really remember. And I tried searching for it, but I couldn't find anything...so if someone's asked this sorry!

Okay, the question.

How long do I have to wait before querying an agent with a different work? Do I wait different amounts of time if they rejected the query right away vs. asked for a partial/full?

Any info would be great! TIA! :)

giftedrhonda

Gifted Goofball
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think there's a time limit. I've seen a guy query a couple of weeks later (first time had a requested full), and he got another request for a full. I think go with your gut, really.

I probably wouldn't do it the next day or anything, but maybe a month or so should be nice...?

One thing to consider--if you got an R, make sure your new work doesn't have the same elements that were rejected in the other one...

Just my thoughts! :D Good luck!!

Rhonda

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks giftedrhonda :) A month's definitely shorter than what I'd thought/feared

Yeah, the topics are really different. The one that I've been querying the most seems to be really iffy for a lot of agents, but none of them seem to dislike my actual writing so I'm thinking I'll query my other stuff, none of which deals with the one iffy topic.

jordijoy

In pursuit!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandrafoy.blogspot.com
I worry about querying the same agent, also. But like Reekam, my two ms are total opposites. One's an 1890s western the other's a comtemporary fiction. One's first person the second's third person. Still, I worry that the agent I queried before might reject my next work out of hand. Then again, they get so much stuff pitched at them I don't think they would remember me. Unless they thought my first effort was so bad they couldn't forget it. Like I said, I worry.

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
WOW

i just realized that I spelled requerying wrong...which was why I couldn't find it in any searches or anything....

so I'm going to go over there now *points* and learn how to spell...everyone can just ignore this because I bet I'll find some stuff, now that I've removed the "i"

:gone: