Thundarr The Barbarian

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone else remember this cartoon? I thought of it out of the blue the other day, and I have been watching it on youtube at work ever since.

The year: 1994. From out of space comes a runaway planet, hurtling between the Earth and the Moon, unleashing cosmic destruction! Man's civilization is cast in ruin!
Two thousand years later, Earth is reborn...

A strange new world rises from the old: a world of savagery, super science, and sorcery. But one man bursts his bonds to fight for justice! With his companions Ookla the Mok and Princess Ariel, he pits his strength, his courage, and his fabulous Sunsword against the forces of evil.
He is Thundarr, the Barbarian!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kIIc4tvtF0

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Thundarr was AWESOME. Images I remember off the top of my head:

The cracked-in-half moon
The way the princess would slide up the ass-end of the horse. It was very subliminally erotic for the 12-year-old boy I was.

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
I was thrown out of my high school history class for yelling out, "I AM THUNDARR THE BAAAAAAAAAAAAAARBARIAN!" when we covered neaderthals.

Good times. Good times.

Ookla ROCKS.

MDavis

The Brunette She-Ra
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not really, but Thundarr (THUN-DARRR) reminds me of a Twisted Toyfare comic...

Spiderman is accidentally sucked into Eternia, world of He-Man, Skeletor, Evil-Lyn and others. They approach him and after much discussion announce:

"We will call you Spi-Dor."

(finished hijacking :))

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I was thrown out of my high school history class for yelling out, "I AM THUNDARR THE BAAAAAAAAAAAAAARBARIAN!" when we covered neaderthals.

I can't believe they threw you out for that! That was so on point!

Ookla ROCKS.

Did you know that he was named after UCLA? And that I am a wealth of pointless information?

I wish there were plans for a Thundarr movie. :(

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
I can't believe they threw you out for that! That was so on point!

The nerve!

Did you know that he was named after UCLA? And that I am a wealth of pointless information?

I had no idea

I wish there were plans for a Thundarr movie. :(

Me too, but I refuse dress up like Ookla for the opening.

:)

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I always yelled "Thundarrrrr the Barrrrrrbie Doll!"

Vanatru

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
And Janis the was the best villian. The two faced guy who's head would swivel about to show his good or bad side. Loved him. Some good stories. Inspired me to play Gamma World.

Never fear about the movie, eventually Hollywood will stumble across it.......re-make it ,and make a totally, awesomely, crap movie of it. BUT, at least we'll get some cool toys from McDonalds out of it for our office desks. :)

Anonymisty

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mistymassey.com
I looooooved that show! "Ariel! Ookla! RIDE!!!" :D

A couple of years later came another excellent cartoon, The Pirates of DarkWater. I was utterly hooked, and it still breaks my heart that they never got to finish their quest.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Thundarr > The Herculoids

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
No VCR. No Tivo. Terrible reception. You had to drag your little butt out of bed early and forego the sunny day outside. We INVESTED ourselves in those Saturday Morning Cartoons!

Bad Penny

Banned
Reaction score
You mean I actually saw this cartoon in the early 80's and it wasn't a nightmare?

*sigh*

Leva

Registered
Reaction score
I loved this cartoon when I was a kid.

They've been re-airing it on the Cartoon Network and a friend inflicted it on me ... OMG, it is probably the worst thing I have ever seen. LOL!!!! It's *bad* *bad* *bad* dialogue, bad plot ... bad ... bad animation ... OMG. It's so bad it's good, in a sickly entertaining way -- the sort of cartoon you sit there and mock horribly while it plays.

Loved it when I was a kid, though.

I think we've been seriously spoiled by anime and more modern cartoons (Batman: TAS, Gargoyles). I wonder if even kids today would sit for this if they had some better options? I mock Yu-Gi-Oh and that silly show for little girls with the magical princesses and the fairies (can't remember what it's called) but compared to some of the 80's dreck they're practically Shakespeare.

(I'm actually working on a "cartoons from my childhood that should be made into summer blockbuster movies" article at a moment, so thank you for the reminder of Thundarr ... I was blocking my recent reexposure of it from my brain. It should go in there, however, if only because there needs to be at least one post-apocalyptic 'toon in the bunch.)

Leva

Last edited:

Bad Penny

Banned
Reaction score
Being a staunch Conan fan, I really winced at Thundarr. He-man made me wince worse. It was around that time Marc Singer came at us as the Beastmaster.

It was rough rough going to survive all that

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
We really oughta live together and make a living on the resulting youtube videos.