PDA

View Full Version : Thundarr The Barbarian

Celia Cyanide
07-05-2007, 08:44 PM
Does anyone else remember this cartoon? I thought of it out of the blue the other day, and I have been watching it on youtube at work ever since.

The year: 1994. From out of space comes a runaway planet, hurtling between the Earth and the Moon, unleashing cosmic destruction! Man's civilization is cast in ruin!
Two thousand years later, Earth is reborn...
A strange new world rises from the old: a world of savagery, super science, and sorcery. But one man bursts his bonds to fight for justice! With his companions Ookla the Mok and Princess Ariel, he pits his strength, his courage, and his fabulous Sunsword against the forces of evil.
He is Thundarr, the Barbarian!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kIIc4tvtF0

dclary
07-05-2007, 09:06 PM
Thundarr was AWESOME. Images I remember off the top of my head:

The cracked-in-half moon
The way the princess would slide up the ass-end of the horse. It was very subliminally erotic for the 12-year-old boy I was.

wyntermoon
07-05-2007, 09:09 PM
I was thrown out of my high school history class for yelling out, "I AM THUNDARR THE BAAAAAAAAAAAAAARBARIAN!" when we covered neaderthals.

Good times. Good times.

Ookla ROCKS.

MDavis
07-05-2007, 09:13 PM
Not really, but Thundarr (THUN-DARRR) reminds me of a Twisted Toyfare comic...

Spiderman is accidentally sucked into Eternia, world of He-Man, Skeletor, Evil-Lyn and others. They approach him and after much discussion announce:

"We will call you Spi-Dor."

(finished hijacking :))

Celia Cyanide
07-05-2007, 09:21 PM
I was thrown out of my high school history class for yelling out, "I AM THUNDARR THE BAAAAAAAAAAAAAARBARIAN!" when we covered neaderthals.

I can't believe they threw you out for that! That was so on point!

Ookla ROCKS.

Did you know that he was named after UCLA? And that I am a wealth of pointless information?

I wish there were plans for a Thundarr movie. :(

Rainy Night
07-05-2007, 09:25 PM
How could I forget Thundarr !

wyntermoon
07-05-2007, 09:27 PM
I can't believe they threw you out for that! That was so on point!

The nerve!

Did you know that he was named after UCLA? And that I am a wealth of pointless information?

I had no idea

I wish there were plans for a Thundarr movie. :(

Me too, but I refuse dress up like Ookla for the opening.

:)

dclary
07-05-2007, 09:54 PM
I always yelled "Thundarrrrr the Barrrrrrbie Doll!"

Vanatru
07-05-2007, 09:59 PM
And Janis the was the best villian. The two faced guy who's head would swivel about to show his good or bad side. Loved him. Some good stories. Inspired me to play Gamma World.

Never fear about the movie, eventually Hollywood will stumble across it.......re-make it ,and make a totally, awesomely, crap movie of it. BUT, at least we'll get some cool toys from McDonalds out of it for our office desks. :)

Celia Cyanide
07-05-2007, 10:03 PM
Me too, but I refuse dress up like Ookla for the opening.

I will dress up as Princess Ariel.

Anonymisty
07-05-2007, 10:19 PM
I looooooved that show! "Ariel! Ookla! RIDE!!!" :D

A couple of years later came another excellent cartoon, The Pirates of DarkWater. I was utterly hooked, and it still breaks my heart that they never got to finish their quest.

MattW
07-06-2007, 01:10 AM
Thundarr > The Herculoids

Celia Cyanide
07-06-2007, 01:33 AM
LORDS OF LIGHT!!!!!!

III
07-06-2007, 01:38 AM
No VCR. No Tivo. Terrible reception. You had to drag your little butt out of bed early and forego the sunny day outside. We INVESTED ourselves in those Saturday Morning Cartoons!

Celia Cyanide
07-06-2007, 01:50 AM
I always remember Thundarr as the LAST cartoon of the day. Before wrestling.

Bad Penny
07-06-2007, 02:02 AM
You mean I actually saw this cartoon in the early 80's and it wasn't a nightmare?

*sigh*

Vanatru
07-06-2007, 02:07 AM
You mean I actually saw this cartoon in the early 80's and it wasn't a nightmare?

*sigh*

Now I know why your the Bad Penny. Shame on you. How could you not love the mutants.

Kids these days.

Leva
07-06-2007, 02:09 AM
I loved this cartoon when I was a kid.

They've been re-airing it on the Cartoon Network and a friend inflicted it on me ... OMG, it is probably the worst thing I have ever seen. LOL!!!! It's *bad* *bad* *bad* dialogue, bad plot ... bad ... bad animation ... OMG. It's so bad it's good, in a sickly entertaining way -- the sort of cartoon you sit there and mock horribly while it plays.

Loved it when I was a kid, though.

I think we've been seriously spoiled by anime and more modern cartoons (Batman: TAS, Gargoyles). I wonder if even kids today would sit for this if they had some better options? I mock Yu-Gi-Oh and that silly show for little girls with the magical princesses and the fairies (can't remember what it's called) but compared to some of the 80's dreck they're practically Shakespeare.

(I'm actually working on a "cartoons from my childhood that should be made into summer blockbuster movies" article at a moment, so thank you for the reminder of Thundarr ... I was blocking my recent reexposure of it from my brain. It should go in there, however, if only because there needs to be at least one post-apocalyptic 'toon in the bunch.)

Leva

Bad Penny
07-06-2007, 02:26 AM
Being a staunch Conan fan, I really winced at Thundarr. He-man made me wince worse. It was around that time Marc Singer came at us as the Beastmaster.

It was rough rough going to survive all that

dclary
07-06-2007, 02:27 AM
YOu didn't dig the two super-ferrets?

Bad Penny
07-06-2007, 02:29 AM
(I'm actually working on a "cartoons from my childhood that should be made into summer blockbuster movies" article at a moment,

Mighty Mouse

and The Atom

Bad Penny
07-06-2007, 02:31 AM
YOu didn't dig the two super-ferrets?

you positively terrify me sometimes

dclary
07-06-2007, 02:45 AM
We really oughta live together and make a living on the resulting youtube videos.

Marian Perera
07-06-2007, 02:52 AM
Did anyone besides me watch Galtar and the Golden Lance?

Bad Penny
07-06-2007, 02:59 AM
We really oughta live together and make a living on the resulting youtube videos.

i'd start rewriting legend of the mongoose. you'd throw me out and keep my shoes

dclary
07-06-2007, 03:04 AM
What kind of shoes are they?

dclary
07-06-2007, 03:05 AM
Did anyone besides me watch Galtar and the Golden Lance?

Nope.

And Re: the comment on the Herculoids? Shmoo was awesome. Everything else was lame.

What was up with every cartoon hero of the 80s dressing like he's the party favor at a West Hollywood S&M Festival?

Bad Penny
07-06-2007, 03:12 AM
What kind of shoes are they?

http://www.wizardofozcostumes.com/pictures/acc_munchkin_elf_shoes.jpg

MattW
07-06-2007, 03:55 AM
And Re: the comment on the Herculoids? Shmoo was awesome. Everything else was lame.A booger?

What was up with every cartoon hero of the 80s dressing like he's the party favor at a West Hollywood S&M Festival?A little too specific a comparison...

Celia Cyanide
07-06-2007, 07:48 AM
I loved this cartoon when I was a kid.

They've been re-airing it on the Cartoon Network and a friend inflicted it on me ... OMG, it is probably the worst thing I have ever seen. LOL!!!! It's *bad* *bad* *bad* dialogue, bad plot ... bad ... bad animation ... OMG. It's so bad it's good, in a sickly entertaining way -- the sort of cartoon you sit there and mock horribly while it plays.

Loved it when I was a kid, though.

I think we've been seriously spoiled by anime and more modern cartoons (Batman: TAS, Gargoyles). I wonder if even kids today would sit for this if they had some better options? I mock Yu-Gi-Oh and that silly show for little girls with the magical princesses and the fairies (can't remember what it's called) but compared to some of the 80's dreck they're practically Shakespeare.

Yes, I think cartoons have come a long way. I was rewatching Battle of The Planets recently, and while I still love the characters and the asthetic, I find myself thinking, "I don't remember it being this...lame!" The animation isn't that good, either. But for the 70's, it was pretty advanced.

Thundarr is only cool in a so-bad-it's-good way, but I think it would make a very interesting movie. I mean, it could. When it finally happens, it probably won't. I do like some of the concepts. The way Princess Ariel had books in her father's library that had been written by archeologists about the ancient civilization, and then when they came upon abandoned movie theatres and subway systems, she explained to Thundarr what they were used for.

dclary
07-06-2007, 01:38 PM
http://www.wizardofozcostumes.com/pictures/acc_munchkin_elf_shoes.jpg

Those are friggin awesome!!

Inkdaub
07-06-2007, 01:45 PM
Thundarr, Princess Ariel and Ookla the Mok are awesome. Thundarr is one of my all time favorite cartoons. The Sun Sword!

I loved He-Man as a kid but grew out of it quickly. I never grew out of Thundarr.

Beastmaster is different. That's a silly B-list barbarian movie and should not be compared to Conan the Barbarian. Destroyer maybe but never Barbarian. Sure, I never knew Singer was buff before Beastmaster and he did have Odo and Podo...the ferretts...but he cannot compete with seeing your enemies driven before you and hearing the lamentations of their women.

MattW
07-06-2007, 04:55 PM
Beastmaster is different. That's a silly B-list barbarian movie and should not be compared to Conan the Barbarian. Destroyer maybe but never Barbarian. Sure, I never knew Singer was buff before Beastmaster and he did have Odo and Podo...the ferretts...but he cannot compete with seeing your enemies driven before you and hearing the lamentations of their women.Now, considering the glut of heroic fantasy or S&S movies that came out in the 80s, Beastmaster still manages to hold onto the second tier. I've seen many movies a whole lot worse.

Inkdaub
07-09-2007, 01:12 PM
You know what was an awesome one...Sword and the Sorcerer. The one where Talon had the sword with three blades, two of which shot off like rocket spears. I think the guy who played 'Matt Houston' was Talon.