Does anyone here play golf?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Variously

Registered
Reaction score
I'm about to write a scene in which a character is returning to his house after playing golf. He's lost his driving licence for drink driving, so he can't drive to the golf course, but there's a course at the end of the road where he lives, about five minutes or so walking distance. Would he carry a bag of clubs there, or is a golf bag too heavy? Do people who are members of a golf club leave their clubs there?

I have it in mind for him to be playing for a short while early in the morning, maybe just nine holes on his own- do people do that? Might someone doing that only take a few clubs rather than a full set? I like the idea of this guy, who's a gangster, arriving at his front door carrying a golf bag and finding a police car waiting for him, but I'm not sure whether he would actually be carrying a golf bag. This is all taking place in the UK, on the outskirts of London, if that makes any difference to peoples golfing habits. Any advice from mashie nibblick wielders out there gratefully received.

Death Wizard

Tumhe na koci puujetha
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deathwizardchronicles.blogspot.com
At exclusive country clubs, members routinely leave their clubs at the clubhouse, where they are cleaned and taken care of. This rarely happens at public courses.

Some golfers prefer to carry their bags or wheel them along on pull-carts, rather than ride in a golf cart. If your character had a light bag with a minimum number of clubs (say a driver, fairway wood, wedge, 8-iron, 6-iron, 4-iron, putter), it would not be out of the range of believability for him to carry them on a five-minute walk to the course. After all, when you walk a course and carry your bag, it takes four to five hours.

cletus

I'm a king bee
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't played in close to 15 years, but I don't see a problem with carrying your clubs to a course that is only at the end of the road, though you can buy little pull along trollies that you put your golf bag on and pull it. Some of these are shown in this link:

http://www.nevadabobs.co.uk/Golf-Bags/Golf-Bags-Accessories/32scid.asp

People often only play 9 holes. They would bring their full set of clubs if it was a standard size golf course and not a "Pitch and Putt". I know people who will go out and play a round on their own.

Azure Skye

Huh?
Registered
Reaction score
Would he carry a bag of clubs there, or is a golf bag too heavy?
It can be too heavy but I guess that would depend on how heavy the bag is and how strong you are. Being only 5'4" and not very strong, I wouldn't carry my bag that far. They do make shoulder straps that make carrying bags easier and they do have little carts with wheels on them so you can walk the course instead of driving a cart. My boyfriend has one of those and he loves it.

Do people who are members of a golf club leave their clubs there?
I don't know anything about club membership but I do understand the golfer mentality: carry your clubs with you everywhere, usually in your car, because you just never know when the opportunity to play will come up.

I have it in mind for him to be playing for a short while early in the morning, maybe just nine holes on his own- do people do that? Might someone doing that only take a few clubs rather than a full set?
Playing just nine holes is very common especially if you're short on time. He would carry a full set of clubs or he could only take the ones he uses regularly like a driver, a fairway wood, sand wedge, chipping wedge, putter and probably a four iron. Oh and most likely a seven or nine iron.

I like the idea of this guy, who's a gangster, arriving at his front door carrying a golf bag and finding a police car waiting for him, but I'm not sure whether he would actually be carrying a golf bag.
Hmmm, I don't know about that. If he doesn't have a car, I guess he wouldn't have much of a choice.

Here's a golf bag carrier or whatever it's technically called.
tricart.jpg

Last edited:

MathRules

Registered
Reaction score
Hi;

Best bet for a guy like this is, he leaves his clubs in the locker room and walks out to the club for nine.

I lived half-mile from my club for ten years, and I did this exact thing every morning for nine and every afternoon for nine five days a week in the summer. Only took them from the locker room when I had a game elsewhere.

It would be funny to have him hear, "stick'em up" with his hands full of golf bag, probably not practical. A club member is more likely to put them in his locker after a round.

Good luck

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Most English golfers have pull carts, don't see too many of those electric buggies around

JoniBGoode

Registered
Reaction score
Putting or Driving?

I like to approach this kind of problem by working from the end to the beginning. You want the character walking to his door carrying a bag containing a few clubs, right? So how do we get there...

Golfers normally take the entire bag of clubs to play 9 holes. It's like a first aid kit...you never know exactly what you'll need, so you take the whole thing. Busy people often do just 9 holes, especially if they have something scheduled for later in the day.

However, if your character went to the course to practice putting or driving for an hour or a few hours, he/she might well take only the relevant clubs. Many golf clubs have driving ranges and putting courses, and this type of practice is a common way to improve your game.

At most private golf clubs members leave their clubs in the locker room. However, if they're going out of town to golf, they'll take their clubs home. They would also take the clubs if they are planning to play at another course -- for example, if a friend has invited them to golf at the friend's club.

HTH-

Joni

BTW, I used to work at a golf resort, where I quickly learned that golf was one addiction that I didn't need.

JoniBGoode

Registered
Reaction score
Golf Carts

Most English golfers have pull carts, don't see too many of those electric buggies around

That's interesting. I never knew that.

Many US courses require the use of electric golf carts. Some only require them during certain hours (for example, carts not required after 6 pm). That's because it's faster to play with a cart, and the golf course can collect more greens fees per day by requiring carts. (Cart fees of up to $50 per round are also a significant source of revenue.)

Status
Not open for further replies.