London Metropolitan Police (Bobbies/Peelers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexandra Little

What a desolation.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm attempting to write a historical mystery set in Victorian London but I cannot find a comprehensive site/book on the London Metropolitan police (my main source being Sherlock Holmes, which as much as I love Holmes I don't like relying on other fiction for research). Does anyone know a good place to find info on them?

And while I'm writing this post, anyone know a reference book of extraordinary women throughout history (preferrably women in Victorian times)?

Thank you so much!

Selimthegrim

Ottoman Sultan
Registered
Reaction score
The website of the Dictionary of Victorian London, located here: http://www.victorianlondon.org/

It's mostly a collection of period documents, very thorough, and I think a great place to start. I particularly enjoy the punch cartoon of the lady metropolitan police (I think it's under one of the women's equal rights sections).

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Check out...

the stickied resources at the top of this board. I placed several excellent Victorian resources there.

Evaine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeinhay.blogspot.com
It might be worth getting in touch with the Commissioner's Reference Library at New Scotland Yard. They do deal with requests for information from the public - or at least, they did when I worked there!
(One of the FAQs in the 1980s was "Where can I find a real police box/Tardis?").
The Library did start out as Sir Robert Peel's private collection of books, so there's all sorts of things squirrelled away.

Alexandra Little

What a desolation.
Registered
Reaction score
Of course I manage to overlook the stickies (argh), and the Reference Library sounds interesting--once I get all the other sources covered I'll have to check them out.

Ooh, Tardis--brings into mind a certain Doctor...

Status
Not open for further replies.