I thought you couldn't find PA books at Borders...

Alexandra Little

What a desolation.
Registered
Reaction score
But I found a PA book at Borders (well, at bordersstores.com, which is where I order all my stuff). I was looking up the authors from the Phi'er Publishing thread and found one of the author's books on bordersstores.com.

Is this a rare occurance to find one of their books through a reputable bookseller?

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
You can get them on just about all the online stores. Amazon. Barnes and Noble... the trick is to walk into a brick and mortar store and find one on the shelf that hasn't been slipped there by the author or placed on consignment, again by the author.

Alexandra Little

What a desolation.
Registered
Reaction score
You can get them on just about all the online stores. Amazon. Barnes and Noble... the trick is to walk into a brick and mortar store and find one on the shelf that hasn't been slipped there by the author or placed on consignment, again by the author.

Ahhhhh, gotcha. I must've misread the PA posts (or got them confused--it happens to me a lot ;))

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Even at the Bordersstores.com site, if you look up any title and pick a store near you, it will probably say "Order", which means that it's available to order for in-store pickup.

It's not that the book can't be got in Borders, it just has to be special ordered.

Alexandra Little

What a desolation.
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah--I was tempted to see if I really could get it through special order, but then I would have to buy it because I would feel bad about special ordering it, and while it looks as if the author has moved on to better things I don't want to contribute to PA in any way.

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
I saw a display of PA books at a local Borders store, they were there on consignment after a book signing by the author who was local. The price on the sticker showed that he had drastically discounted them to match similar books and that didn't take into account the shipping and tax he had paid to have them sent to the UK. It's something Borders and other bookstores will sometimes do for authors if they work hard to make it happen.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
If you do see a PA book in a physical bookstore, check to see where the author lives. Betcha it's within 25 miles of the front door.

As far as books at bordersstores.com (or anythingatall.com), that's just a database. A list of ISBNs. There aren't physical books.

Check to see if Atlanta Nights is listed at Bordersstores.com. ... and here it is! http://www.bordersstores.com/search...rms=atlanta+nights&mediaType=1&srchType=Title

I'm sure all PA books are listed there: They have ISBNs. But do they sell? Sure, to mom, dad, and the guys in your bowling league....

Alexandra Little

What a desolation.
Registered
Reaction score
If you do see a PA book in a physical bookstore, check to see where the author lives. Betcha it's within 25 miles of the front door.

As far as books at bordersstores.com (or anythingatall.com), that's just a database. A list of ISBNs. There aren't physical books.

Check to see if Atlanta Nights is listed at Bordersstores.com. ... and here it is! http://www.bordersstores.com/search...rms=atlanta+nights&mediaType=1&srchType=Title

I'm sure all PA books are listed there: They have ISBNs. But do they sell? Sure, to mom, dad, and the guys in your bowling league....

Ooh, maybe I should buy it and contribute to the fund =)

crowlett

Registered
Reaction score
endless rewrite,

Trust me you have to be local and work real hard before you can get your PA book in a real store. You can order and pick up at the store with little problem. If you would like to try, order mine, no don't it's to expensive for poetry...lol.

crowlett

I sold twenty-five PA books. (Yeah It was to family and friends):Shrug:

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Crowlett,

I know how hard PA authors work to sell their books and get in stores, that's why it makes me happy to see them escape PA's clutches and start working for their own benefit not that crummy scam. Because that particular PA author was local to me I got in touch, we corresponded and I was able to pass on details of useful contacts and writing groups in the area for sources of support, funding and development. Hopefully they were of use. I took the time in Borders to flick through his book, read a couple of pages and it was clear he could write well.

Last edited:

crowlett

Registered
Reaction score
endless rewrite,

Hey maybe we need to start a support group that looks for local PA authors and rescue them form the "Dark Side", I know I've seen the light. LOL

crowlett :e2grouphu

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Crowlett, I guess to some degree that it was the PA thread is, a means of support and information. I initially contacted that author when I realised he was local and because I had mentioned him on here and so I thought it was fair that he knew who I was and my own writing background and experience. I also thought that knowing a lot of writing contacts in his area that could be of use to him might break the ice. The problem is treading gently and being careful to support those who are ready for help, guest books etc are a no go area. I left it open for him to get back in touch with me which he did and once the communication was open it was all good. I was lucky that he lived less than a mile from me and knew who was in a position to help him - a fantastic literary support agency, the only one of its kind in the country, public funded, whose aim is on supporting local writers and helping them move into the professional field through mentoring, training, exposure and funding. They have helped me a great deal and it felt good bringing him to their attention and vice versa. I've also passed on a play by a Publish America author to a theatre producer I've previously worked with who I knew would be interested in the material. Sometimes this PA bashing isn't all people think it is!

crowlett

Registered
Reaction score
Hurray for AW and all it's members

endless rewrite,

I love AW, you guys have helped me so much in such a short time. I'm learning about myself and my writing through you guys. At times you guys are giving tough love, but that is what I need. A month ago I wanted to quit writing all together and now because of you guys I think I may be able to be published one day. Hurray for AW and all it's members.

crowlett :hooray: