first full rejection...

Status
Not open for further replies.

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
Strangely enough it doesn't feel any different from a query rejection... :Shrug:

They liked the humor and the voice of the work, but thought there was excessive drug and alcohol use...

I don't know what to think about that, since the book is about drug and alcohol use, but at least it's funny when it's supposed to be.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
:Hug2: Sorry to hear about the ole rejection, I know that it sucks. I just had my first full rejected a few weeks back and the agent left me just as confused. Keep submitting and surely some agent will like the alcohol and drug use. This writing business is enough to drive someone to alcohol and drug use.

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks joyce :)

maybe I should be looking for the most stressed agents out there...maybe they'd be able to relate :Shrug: :tongue

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
want some worms? (they're gummy and they're good??) :Hug2:

obviously, this agent was seriously insane. that's the only explanation.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Getting the full request in the first place is encouraging. And they gave you positive feedback too. Obviously the project just wasn't for them. I hope you find a perfect fit! All the best!

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the support everyone :)

Since they seemed to like the writing and just not the drug use, I'm considering sending some of my other word (since that's the only thing I've ever written with drugs involved...).

How long do you think I should wait before querying again?

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about the rejection, but YAY for the positive comments about your voice. :D

Bealeblast

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.publishersmarketplace.com
I don't sell ______fill in the blank.

My sympathies, being in the same boat, I had two full rejects last week...and I agree that it's far more important to have a good strong voice then whether there's alcohol or drug use in it. However I have noticed that agents are extremely picky about what they take on in the sense of what content they personally can relate to...do others agree?

My novel, for ex, has a fair amount of erotica in it..you know, sex with a begining middle and end between consenting adults...and there are many more agents than I would have thought who don't seem to know what to do with it...I had one say, "I've never sold erotica before...find someone who has." The thing is it's not genre romance, so what does that mean a literary novel where two people go all the way?

This is absolutely matchmaking just like dating, if not harder since women (most agents) are far picky er than men in my view. Oh well another wacko theory maybe...

As to whether to resubmit other work, I'd do it as soon as you wish, explaining exactly why, your other work has none of the content they expressly said no to, and yet has your strong voice....

Good luck
Victoria

Status
Not open for further replies.