Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I've had an idea for a book which I think is really exciting, and has a lot of sales potential. It's an anthology in which I will hope to bring together a collection of short stories, essays, and interviews all the same subject. And no, for now I'm not telling you what the subject is!

I've never worked on an anthology and there are a couple of details that I need to iron out before I go any further. I'm hoping that someone here will be able to help me.

1) How are contributors to an anthology usually paid? I've had a look at some calls for submissions on the internet, and it seems that this varies widely. I've seen various offers: no payment at all, a copy or two of the book when it's finished, a share of the profits (which would be very difficult to administrate), or a fixed fee of $100 up to $500 (I would have liked to contribute to that one!). It has been suggested that I approach a number of well-known writers directly and offer payment for their contributions, and also make a call for submissions in which I offer free copies as payment, but this doesn't seem very fair to me.

2) What sort of proposal will I need to put together for this? I've always sold non-fiction on the basis of a synopsis, an outline or detailed chapter-list, and a few sample chapters. I won't be able to put this book together until I have a deal for it, but without knowing exactly what is going to be inside it, it's going to be difficult to write a decent synopsis. And while I might find a few appropriate pieces online to include as my sample chapters (with the writers' permission, of course), it is unlikely that I'll find exactly what I want. I assume that I'll have to write an introduction of sorts to include with my proposal but again, I won't be able to finalise that until I have the final text to comment on. Catch 22.

I really would welcome all advice and suggestions on this one, but I have only the very vaguest ideas of how to proceed. Thank you.

(Incidentally, it is well worth Googling for the phrase "call for submissions", as there are lots of people out there asking for submissions to commissioned anthologies, and many of them are offering payment. Just a thought.)

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not much help on most of this, but I've been paid for three stories that appeared in anthologies. I was paid a flat fee for all three, given a copy of each and the ability to purchase as many as I wanted for half price, to sell on my own for a profit if I wished to do so.

I wish I would have been paid a percentage of profit.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Not entirely sure, either, but I'd guess many anthologies work about the same way that periodicals do. Which is, the writer gets paid some set amount for first rights (or whatever other rights are negotiated), either as a flat fee or standard amount per word.

caw

Robin Bayne

~writes for Him~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbayne.com
I've got two anthologies being shopped by my agent, and hope to have funds if it sells to pay each of my contributors a small amount.

Worst case, if I have to go small press, they will each get a copy of the book as payment. I let them know this up front when inviting them to submit.

I put together a non-fiction proposal with sample pieces from each proposed chapter.

The hardest part is keeping it all organized.

Something else I have learned recently--many publishers now go to book packagers for their anthologies.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still feeling my way around but was very interested in the book packagers comment, as I worked as an editor for a packager aeons ago, which is one of the reasons I feel relatively confident on taking this on. Thanks for all your help!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Anthology

First, of course, you have to get permission from writers to use their work. As for payment, it varies, but if you want top writers and a top publisher, you're probably going to have to pay royalties to the writers based on how long each piece of writing is. This is a pain in the butt process, but not many top writers are willing to let material go off in book form just for a small, one time fee.

It also works a heck of a lot better if you can gain a publisher's interest first, and then put the anthology together later.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
First, of course, you have to get permission from writers to use their work. As for payment, it varies, but if you want top writers and a top publisher, you're probably going to have to pay royalties to the writers based on how long each piece of writing is. This is a pain in the butt process, but not many top writers are willing to let material go off in book form just for a small, one time fee.

It also works a heck of a lot better if you can gain a publisher's interest first, and then put the anthology together later.

That's what I thought--thanks, James. For both points.

Status
Not open for further replies.