PDA

View Full Version : The wonderful world of anime...

L'Oiseau Noir
07-03-2007, 01:34 PM
So yeah, it's 5:30 am, I'm bored, and decided to put up this thread. Anime is technically considered television, right? After all, besides the ripped stuff you watch online, TV's the only place you can get anime, well, then there's Suncoast. But anyway! >_>'

Anybody out there anime fans?

Some of my favorites are: Elfen Lied (I'm obsessed with these first two), Shingetsutan Tsukihime, Rozen Maiden, Chobits, xxxHolic, Tsukuyomi Moonphase, Karin, Fate/Stay Night, DearS, Mahoromatic, Hand Maid May, Steel Angel Kurumi, Serial Experiments Lain, Witch Hunter Robin, and lots, lots more... it would just take too long to list all the animes I've enjoyed in the past. x_x'

Izunya
07-03-2007, 10:14 PM
Since I'm poor, I don't see that much anime besides what I can find on Adult Swim, or (much more occasionally) rent from the video store. Still, in no particular order, I like:

Trigun (kind of a fanatic about this one, actually)
Any movie by Hayou Miazaki, whose name I have probably misspelled
Fullmetal Alchemist
Cowboy Bebop

At some point, I also intend to see Rurouni Kenshin from the beginning, so that I can get into it, and Ghost in the Shell from the beginning, so that I can figure out the setting, because I think there's a lot of stuff I'm missing.

Izunya

maestrowork
07-03-2007, 10:20 PM
I grew up with anime and I love Miyazaki, especially his older, gentler stuff in the 70s. But no, I am not exactly an anime fan.

Celia Cyanide
07-03-2007, 10:28 PM
I like Gilgamesh. And Gatchaman in a nostalgic way.

Thump
07-03-2007, 10:29 PM
I used to be a total Otaku. Seriously! Then I sort of lost interest as more and more sci-fi series became available to me (I used to live in India). Right now, I don't watch any anime series although I had a short Inuyasha phase :)

I think my favorite anime ever was Sailor Moon when I was around 12 :) No other anime since has gotten me that involved. Now, if I had to chose, I'd say "You're Under Arrest" probably.

Other ones I like/d: Chobits, Vandread, Fushigi Yuugi, Inuyasha, DBZ (way long ago :P), Rurouni Kenshin, Ranma 1/2, Candy Candy, Magic Knight Rayearth, Fruits Basket, Card Captor Sakura, Saint Seiya, Fake, Fatal Fury, Ghostsweeper Mikami, Gunsmith Cats, Haibane Renmei...

I also love and still watch any Hayao Miyazaki movie :)

Sheryl Nantus
07-03-2007, 10:48 PM
I *heart* Ghost in The Shell - the series, that is.

Pom Poko, Porco Rosso... Princess M and so on... can't say that I'm in love with Full Metal Alchemist like everyone else, but so it goes...

:D

maestrowork
07-04-2007, 03:10 AM
Ghost in the Shell is awesome. And I love My Neighbor Totoro.

Cath
07-04-2007, 03:17 AM
I'll second My Neighbor Totoro. I thought it might be awful and sickly from the cover, but it wasn't.

Spirited Away, Perfect Blue, Grave of the Fireflys and Millennium Actress are all fantastic too.

L'Oiseau Noir
07-04-2007, 06:28 AM
I *heart* Ghost in The Shell - the series, that is.

Pom Poko, Porco Rosso... Princess M and so on... can't say that I'm in love with Full Metal Alchemist like everyone else, but so it goes...

Yeah, personally I don't like Full Metal Alchemist either.

childeroland
07-04-2007, 07:28 AM
Favs (TV):
Inuyasha
Naruto
Full Metal Alchemist
Lupin III
Paranoia Agent
Samurai Champloo
Ghost on the Shell S.A.C.

Favs: (film)
Mononoke
Spirited Away
Howl's Moving Castle (way underrated)
Grave of the Fireflies

L'Oiseau Noir
07-04-2007, 07:30 AM
Favs (TV):
Inuyasha
Naruto
Full Metal Alchemist
Lupin III
Paranoia Agent
Samurai Champloo
Ghost on the Shell S.A.C.

Favs: (film)
Mononoke
Spirited Away
Howl's Moving Castle (way underrated)
Grave of the Fireflies

Paranoia Agent was f****ing hilarious. In a dark, twisted sort of way.

childeroland
07-04-2007, 07:42 AM
Satoshi Kon's stuff is always twisted, though Millennium Actress pushed it a little for me. I still have to catch Paprika before it disappears from theaters, and I've gotta get around to buying Perfect Blue.

Forgot to mention .hack//Roots among my favs, and Signs is amazing. I like Twilight Bracelet also but Shugo constantly screaming for his sister gets on my nerves after awhile. Really liked Trinity Blood also, and Bleach though they're stretching the whole Soul Society arc a little long.

L'Oiseau Noir
07-04-2007, 07:51 AM
Trinity Blood was all right, but at some points I thought it was a watered down version of Hellsing. I didn't really like the main character, he was too nice. But all-in-all, it wasn't a terrible anime.

narselon
07-04-2007, 11:14 AM
I usually hide that I watch anime because of the connotations that go along with watching it. i was hesitant about watching too much in fear I'd turn into an otaku but i have nothing else to do this summer so I'm watching what I can before I go back into hiding during the school year.

My favorites are:

Cowboy Bebop. Anyone who wants to criticize anime for being this or that should watch Cowboy Bebop before making judgment. The artwork, animation, music, voice acting, and direction are all brilliant. There are some moments where it feels like you are watching poetry.

Paranoia Agent. I'm a sucker for anything that explores the nature of society and cultural phenomena. The build up and celebrity around the cute Maromi doll and the villainous Li'l Slugger is something you can see today with the Paris Hilton nonsense only amplified.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. The movies bored me but I loved the series. Again this brings up cultural phenomena with the first season's Laughing Man case(with constant references to Catcher in the Rye) except it takes it in a different direction. I love seeing the changes in society due to cyberization and how it changes their approach to solve the cases. And then there's the Tachikomas. Who could hate a show where the military tanks have the minds of children?

Fullmetal Alchemist. Even though I love alchemy for no apparent reason, I thought I would hate this show. It may not be as deep or artistic as the other two, but it's a fun ride with interesting characters set in a steampunk world.

FLCL. It's happy sunshine in a bag covered in rainbows. This show is sheer insanity and bliss. A kid, in a one sided relationship with his older brother's girlfriend, is hit by a vespa scooter-riding alien who later hits him again with a guitar so she can pull robots out of his brain in order to stop an evil corporation that is planning to flatten the world with a giant iron. Yet behind it all is the story of a kid trying to understand maturity.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. This one is recent. It has just come over seas and may actually have a second season in production. This show has the honor of having the best first episode of anything. Instead of introducing the characters or story it is a sarcastically narrated movie that is a tribute to the home movies we've all made or have been forced to watch, filled with cliches and continuity errors. The rest of the show is aired intentionally out of order. It is about a strange girl in high school who is bored with the world and wants nothing to do with ordinary people--only aliens, time travellers, and espers. So she decides to make a club in search of them but they may actually be closer than she thinks.

Welcome to the NHK. This is another recent arrival. In this the main character is a guy who has not left his room for three years out of paranoia of the outside world judging him. in the first episode he deduces that the television station NHK is part of a conspiracy to keep people like him lock in their rooms. He encounters strange young woman who wants to cure him as part of a project but is skeptical of her intentions. The show is a mostly down to earth story of how he is trying to escape his introverted lifestyle and become a functioning part of society. Having known people who are just like him makes the show carry a greater significance to me than most other people.

I'm not really a fan of any of the shounen stuff like Naruto, Bleach, Dragonball, Inuyasha because they tend to drag on with fillers and endless power upgrades. The big problem comes from adapting serialized manga that doesn't know where to stop. Plus I like a little more meat on the story than defeat the bad guys or become number one.

L'Oiseau Noir
07-04-2007, 11:50 AM
Couldn't agree with you more Narselon. I don't really like things like Naruto, Bleach, Dragonball, Inuyasha, and so forth. They do drag it onto much (much like the ridiculous amount of fillers in the anime for Love Hina).

I've been meaning to check out the anime, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, but I haven't gotten around to it. Last anime I watched was Shingestutan Tsukihime (a brilliant, well thought out vampire anime that isn't overburdened by a sea of gore and over-the-top violence like Hellsing).

You should check out some more series online, because they have some really great stuff you're only going to see on the computer and not on the television. Veoh.com is a good place to start if you're ever bored and need something to watch.

And even though I may seem like it, in any case someone was thinking it, I am surprisingly not an otaku.

I just have no life and tend to watch too much anime...

childeroland
07-04-2007, 03:49 PM
The Shōnen stuff does drag on too long, though I don't mind it in the case of Naruto and Inuyasha since I like the characters so much (though Inuyasha's non-ending ending bugs me -- they've played that out in print even for a manga, and there should have been a definite emotional point like Kagome sacrificing herself for the others ).

Thanks for the tip on Veoh.com. I'll be sure to check that out.

I ordered Tsukihime some time ago and it still has not been delivered yet. I'm watching Cowboy Beebop while collecting the DVDs. It's near perfect. Melancholy sounds really good, and now I'll have to find that.

narselon
07-04-2007, 08:54 PM
Inuyasha represents everything a series should avoid. It's a shame because I liked it at first. But once the cast was assembled around episode 40 it stopped progressing. Every arc felt like something made up on the spot, never existing in the universe before it was written. The author clearly made up stuff as she went with no real plan or idea how it will all end. Every time they get close to killing Naraku, the main villain, he runs away or shows off a new power. Then Inuyasha and gang have to upgrade his sword to fight that power only to have it work once before Naraku gains some sort of immunity and once again they go on a quest to upgrade. Occasionally they'll try to develop the romance of Kagome and Inuyasha only to have their relationship revert back to the way it was. Then the author kept putting in artificial roadblocks to make them argue in which case it was always Inuyasha's fault, be it checking if his former love was still alive or being worried about Koga trying to steal Kagome away. On top of all that you have an annoying character like Shippo who only exists to observe battles and does nothing else. And now we are at the worst offense of all. After enduring 167 episodes of this bull the show ends with another sword upgrade that does absolutely nothing. The cast is still in the same place as they were in episode 50. I look back and wonder what did I watch over a 100 episodes for?

My eventual hatred of Inuyasha is probably why I liked Fullmetal Alchemist so much. They are both technically in the same genre but are worlds different. In Inuyasha they are looking for the Shikon Jewel and in Fullmetal they are trying to find the Philosopher's Stone. The difference is the jewel in Inuyasha is only a source of power while the Elric brothers are after the stone so they can fix the mistake after they failed to bring their dead mother back to life, which ended up costing literally an arm and a leg. More things happen in one episode than in 100 episodes of Inuyasha.

childeroland
07-04-2007, 09:33 PM
The author did not want to (or had not the inventiveness to) advance the characters and plot beyond a certain point. Or maybe she fell in love with them and doesn't want to advance their development. I still love the show because I like spending time with the characters, but your objections cannot be argued against. Since the manga is still ongoing (up to episode 511, I think!) maybe at some point Takahashi will end it. Then again, look at what happened with the 'ending' of Mermaid Saga.

L'Oiseau Noir
07-05-2007, 06:37 AM
The Shōnen stuff does drag on too long, though I don't mind it in the case of Naruto and Inuyasha since I like the characters so much (though Inuyasha's non-ending ending bugs me -- they've played that out in print even for a manga, and there should have been a definite emotional point like Kagome sacrificing herself for the others ).

Thanks for the tip on Veoh.com. I'll be sure to check that out.

I ordered Tsukihime some time ago and it still has not been delivered yet. I'm watching Cowboy Beebop while collecting the DVDs. It's near perfect. Melancholy sounds really good, and now I'll have to find that.

You'll love Tsukihime. TYPE-MOON does some great anime. :)

Celia Cyanide
07-05-2007, 10:01 PM
Hentai is creepy.

childeroland
07-05-2007, 10:57 PM
So you would recommend Fate/Stay night? I wonder when the heck is the complete boxset for that finally coming out. (I don't want to get the individual DVDs only to find there's something coming along down the road with extras.)

You'll love Tsukihime. TYPE-MOON does some great anime. :)

childeroland
07-05-2007, 10:58 PM
I never got the point of it myself.

Hentai is creepy.

dclary
07-05-2007, 10:59 PM
Anime is simply Japan's version of America's morning cartoons. And just as there's 100 shitastic shows like My Little Pony and Captain Planet and the Planeteers for every Scooby Doo, there's a 100 wretched anime for every good one.

childeroland
07-06-2007, 01:26 AM
But that's true of almost anything -- for every Beatles, you get your Spice Girls and that sort of rot. I'm sure there's plenty of crappy anime (Yu-Gi-Oh or whatever it's called gives me a headache), but there's plenty of great stuff too, and it's not like American TV animation is offering a ton of great stuff. Anyway, how much of the horrid stuff makes it from Japan to American TV?

Leva
07-06-2007, 03:49 AM
Childeroland -- I write the occasional anime review, which means I end up watching stuff I wouldn't ordinarily. Trust me that plenty of really bad animation makes it to the West, plus a sizable chunk of anime that isn't actually bad but leaves me wondering who's going to buy it because the Western market is going to be very, very limited because of content issues -- mostly alcohol use or too much blood/violence.

Shows I like:

Le Chevalier D'Eon -- I am amazed this show isn't getting more interest. It's by the same director as Rurouni Kenshin, and it's got great political intrigue and appealing characters.

Saiunkoku Monogatari -- I saw the first season in fansubs, but the show's been licensed by Geneon, from what I understand. This is an *awesome* show with a very appealing female lead surrounded by a cast of bishis who are more than just pretty faces -- and the female lead actually manages to not be annoying and is fully fleshed out. It's got a strong theme having to do with woman's lib .... it's set in a mythical quasi-chinese kingdom, and Shuurei is a poor but proud noblewoman who turns down various offers for romance & marriage (fairly believably done) because she wants to become a government official.

RuroKen. *grins* One of my favorite shows ever. It's the series that ate my brain. (Though the manga's better than the anime.)

I've also only seen the first four episodes of Kurau, but I think I'm going to keep watching this one. It's the Japanese answer to American superheros. Very intriguing. (And it's by the same studio that created Fullmetal Alchemist.)

I like Fullmetal Alchemist -- one thing I've found is that a lot of people who don't like it are either turned off by the violence in it and the sometimes extreme emotional impact -- Nina gave me *nightmares* -- or they haven't watched it in order. It's absolutely critical to watch this series in order. It's incredibly tightly plotted and watching it out of order is like reading the chapters of a fantasy novel out of order. IMHO, the anime's better than the manga in this one, too.

I like Inuyasha in small doses because I'm a sucker for Beauty and the Beast themes. Honestly, though? It's one of the very few shows where I will claim that there's a substantial amount of fanfic that is better than the original material. There's some very good fanfic out there for this show that handles the Inuyasha/Kagome relationship a whole heck of a lot better than the author does.

childeroland
07-06-2007, 06:05 AM
I like Full Metal Alchemist's intensity, though of course I did really, really hate Shou.

I'm enjoying Petite Cossette so far, which I bought because for some reason the characters' look reminded me of Le Chevalier D'Eon.

I loved Blood the Last Vampire and FLCL, so I expect to like Le Chevalier D'Eon. Pretty much anything I.G. puts out is good with me, though I'll have to give Jin-Roh a second chance and I couldn't quite get into the One Piece OVA.

The first volume of Saiunkoku is coming out August 28, according to Amazon.

What are some of the not-that-great animes that have made it over here, aside from the Americanized Astro Boy?

How are the filler episodes on RuroKen?

L'Oiseau Noir
07-06-2007, 07:04 AM
So you would recommend Fate/Stay night? I wonder when the heck is the complete boxset for that finally coming out. (I don't want to get the individual DVDs only to find there's something coming along down the road with extras.)

I highly recommend Fate/Stay Night. It's a lot like Tsukihime, but with a more fantasical twist dealing with King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. There are a few other themes in it from the "King Arthur" stories like Merlin, Avalon, Excalibur, and so forth, and its centered around a battle that's been going for centuries for the Holy Grail. It just has a bit of that japanese twist to it.

Leva
07-06-2007, 07:45 AM
I actually found Le Chevalier's animation distracting at points. It's very well done in some areas, and in some areas, the artists needed to take more anatomy lessons. The horses are gawd-awful and there are a lot of horses in this series. However, I'm a bit of a horse otaku and I notice things like horses pacing rather than trotting, and joints in entirely the wrong places, and feet that are just *wrong* that other folks might miss.

And, because they tried for a very "realistic" style sometimes the dubbing doesn't feel right -- the syllables might match the lip flaps, but you can practically read the character's lips, it's that real in spots, and the Japanese words they're mouthing don't match the English words they're saying!

(Solution, I guess, is to watch it subtitled, but reading extensive subs gives me a migraine.)

re: bad anime ... I thought Air Gear was really, really awful, for a recent example. But that's me; other people like it. *shrug*

Re: RuroKen filler eps -- there are plenty of fans that will disagree, but I don't have a major issue with most of the filler eps. Watsuki's material is better, but the filler eps weren't make-your-eyes-bleed-bad. However, the last OVA is AWFUL. Seriously, it's bad. Kaoru is WAY OOC through the whole thing and so is Kenshin. The only reason to watch it is some beautiful art, and even then ...

(The first OVA is good, if a bit bloody and Definitely Not Kid Safe for the amount of violence. The second OVA -- Rurouni Kenshin: The Motion Picture -- was pretty decent and had a similar tone to the series.)

Leva

I like Full Metal Alchemist's intensity, though of course I did really, really hate Shou.

I'm enjoying Petite Cossette so far, which I bought because for some reason the characters' look reminded me of Le Chevalier D'Eon.

I loved Blood the Last Vampire and FLCL, so I expect to like Le Chevalier D'Eon. Pretty much anything I.G. puts out is good with me, though I'll have to give Jin-Roh a second chance and I couldn't quite get into the One Piece OVA.

The first volume of Saiunkoku is coming out August 28, according to Amazon.

What are some of the not-that-great animes that have made it over here, aside from the Americanized Astro Boy?

How are the filler episodes on RuroKen?

jmindigo
07-06-2007, 10:10 AM
I'm a big anime fan, an 'otaku' some might say. ;) Some of my favorites are Death Note, Gilgamesh, many of the Ghibli movies, Ghost of the Shell in all its incarnations, Fullmetal Alchemist, Millennium Actress, .Hack/Sign, Sailor Moon, Eureka Seven, Blood/Blood+, Chobits... the list goes on and on. I'm lean towards the 'deep meaning/highly intelligent' sort of shows, rather then the cliche 'bouncy babes and bubblegum colors' shows anime is known for. Though I've been known to watch nearly anything if it wasn't completely mind-numbing.

I get my week dose of Anime from Cartoon Network/Adult Swim and Sci-fi's new Ani-monday thing, which is actually showing some really awesome shows at the moment. Tokko is surprisingly good.

Anime is simply Japan's version of America's morning cartoons. And just as there's 100 shitastic shows like My Little Pony and Captain Planet and the Planeteers for every Scooby Doo, there's a 100 wretched anime for every good one.

So true and so well put. These days I don't get into a new series until I either read a review or do some research. I used to just watch everything, back when everything was new and different and shiny. But then I got jaded.

childeroland
07-06-2007, 04:12 PM
The mismatches with the mouths are inevitable, I'd guess, as animators get better with lip movement and create them for the original language (though Disney usually does at least a passable job with their Ghibli overdubs). The horses are a surprise; I'd think the producers would do better with that, especially for a recent show, but ah well.

I'll avoid the last RuroKen OVA. I'll want to get the Samurai X Complete Collection first anyway.

I actually found Le Chevalier's animation distracting at points. It's very well done in some areas, and in some areas, the artists needed to take more anatomy lessons. The horses are gawd-awful and there are a lot of horses in this series. However, I'm a bit of a horse otaku and I notice things like horses pacing rather than trotting, and joints in entirely the wrong places, and feet that are just *wrong* that other folks might miss.

And, because they tried for a very "realistic" style sometimes the dubbing doesn't feel right -- the syllables might match the lip flaps, but you can practically read the character's lips, it's that real in spots, and the Japanese words they're mouthing don't match the English words they're saying!

(Solution, I guess, is to watch it subtitled, but reading extensive subs gives me a migraine.)

re: bad anime ... I thought Air Gear was really, really awful, for a recent example. But that's me; other people like it. *shrug*

Re: RuroKen filler eps -- there are plenty of fans that will disagree, but I don't have a major issue with most of the filler eps. Watsuki's material is better, but the filler eps weren't make-your-eyes-bleed-bad. However, the last OVA is AWFUL. Seriously, it's bad. Kaoru is WAY OOC through the whole thing and so is Kenshin. The only reason to watch it is some beautiful art, and even then ...

(The first OVA is good, if a bit bloody and Definitely Not Kid Safe for the amount of violence. The second OVA -- Rurouni Kenshin: The Motion Picture -- was pretty decent and had a similar tone to the series.)

Leva

childeroland
07-06-2007, 04:14 PM
Sci-Fi Channel always surprises -- stuff like their movies of the week followed by Doctor Who or Battlestar Galactica or Noein. (That DVD can't come fast enough for me.)

I'm a big anime fan, an 'otaku' some might say. ;) Some of my favorites are Death Note, Gilgamesh, many of the Ghibli movies, Ghost of the Shell in all its incarnations, Fullmetal Alchemist, Millennium Actress, .Hack/Sign, Sailor Moon, Eureka Seven, Blood/Blood+, Chobits... the list goes on and on. I'm lean towards the 'deep meaning/highly intelligent' sort of shows, rather then the cliche 'bouncy babes and bubblegum colors' shows anime is known for. Though I've been known to watch nearly anything if it wasn't completely mind-numbing.

I get my week dose of Anime from Cartoon Network/Adult Swim and Sci-fi's new Ani-monday thing, which is actually showing some really awesome shows at the moment. Tokko is surprisingly good.

So true and so well put. These days I don't get into a new series until I either read a review or do some research. I used to just watch everything, back when everything was new and different and shiny. But then I got jaded.

jedimaster107
07-07-2007, 06:11 AM
my hubby and i love anime. in fact, he introduced me to anime and the first anime i saw was DBZ. but later learned that transformers was from japan. but anyway. what we put on our tv (we got ride of our cable. we have the basic basic for $13 and that sucked. only got 13 channels that included 3 shopping channels and the golf channel. we have to relay on DVD's. but this is what we have so far.

DBZ - (teen Gohan **drools**)
Saiyuki - first volume. hated reload. animaton was bad and they were turned into gay lovers!!!!!
Ranma 1/2
FCLC
Hellings
Outlaw star
Cowboy Bebop
.Hack//Sign
.Hack//Sign Legend of the Twilight
Blue gender
Gundam Wing
Excel Saga
Trigun
Those who hunt elves
Banner of the stars - something like that
Jing: the bandit king
Rave master - first disc only
Final Fantsy VII - Advent Children - GO CLOUD!!!
Transformers the movie
Zoids: Chaotic Century
Record of Lodas War
and several others i can't think of

we seen Inuyasha, Ruroni Kenshin, Vampire Hunter D.

Hopefully with Nexflix we can see alot more anime.

Does anyone know where i can find anime mp3's? i found some. I heard ones i liked on my online radio station buti can't find them anywhere.

childeroland
07-07-2007, 07:22 AM
I dislike Reload as well, could hardly sit through a few episodes. May I ask -- where, before Netflix, have you seen most of the shows you watch? DVD or Animax?

my hubby and i love anime. in fact, he introduced me to anime and the first anime i saw was DBZ. but later learned that transformers was from japan. but anyway. what we put on our tv (we got ride of our cable. we have the basic basic for $13 and that sucked. only got 13 channels that included 3 shopping channels and the golf channel. we have to relay on DVD's. but this is what we have so far.

Saiyuki - first volume. hated reload. animaton was bad and they were turned into gay lovers!!!!!
Ranma 1/2
FCLC
Hellings
Outlaw star
Cowboy Bebop
.Hack//Sign
Blue gender
Gundam Wing
Excel Saga
Trigun
Those who hunt elves
Transformers the movie
Record of Lodas War

Does anyone know where i can find anime mp3's? i found some. I heard ones i liked on my online radio station buti can't find them anywhere.

L'Oiseau Noir
07-07-2007, 08:46 AM

Ranma 1/2
FCLC
Hellings
Outlaw star
Cowboy Bebop
.Hack//Sign
Blue gender
Gundam Wing
Excel Saga
Trigun
Those who hunt elves
Transformers the movie
Record of Lodas War

Actually, if you want to watch anime for free, veoh.com has some nice choices. I watch most of my anime series from there--they've got tons of series, ranging in all sorts of categories.

I'd also suggest checking out anime-planet's user recommendation database. You can find some really great recommendations there, so if you're ever stuck on what you want to watch next, you can go look up series you liked and people will list several other series that you may enjoy.

Hope that helps. :)

childeroland
07-07-2007, 06:40 PM
I watched an episode of 'Darker Than Black' on the Veoh Player. Also watching 'School Days'. Wonderful, thanks for the tip. I have to upgrade my PC to install the player here.

jedimaster107
07-08-2007, 01:55 AM
May I ask -- where, before Netflix, have you seen most of the shows you watch? DVD or Animax?

Before we got rid of the cable, our anime watching was done on Adult Swim -- Cartoon Network. Pittsburgh doesn't get the anime channel. And if we did, Comcast would prbabley charge an arm and a leg for it.

althrasher
07-08-2007, 06:35 AM
I like Fullmetal...it didn't drag on the way several anime do, and it doesn't get really talky like Ghost in the Shell can be sometimes. I LOVE Cowboy Bepop, but have actually seen very few episodes. Must rent DVDs...(mental note.)
I don't watch anime very often, but enjoy it when I do. Except Fullmetal: I've seen every episode AND the movie:D

childeroland
07-09-2007, 02:46 AM
They're running Full Metal Alchemist early morning Saturdays on Adult Swim, replacing .hack//Roots. (Hopefully they'll let Haseo and company return soon.)

childeroland
07-10-2007, 07:38 AM
What does everyone think of 'Gunslinger Girl'? I found it touching, not emotionally cold as some have said.

Backward Masking
07-10-2007, 04:00 PM
Only real anime I've had the pleasure to watch was a movie called "Barefoot Gen." Bascially, it was about the dropping of the atom bomb over Hiroshima. Pretty good anti-war message (and I do need to see "Grave of the Fireflies"). I think I might have seen Ghost in the Shell and a little series called Hellsing... yeah. ;)

L'Oiseau Noir
07-10-2007, 05:11 PM
What does everyone think of 'Gunslinger Girl'? I found it touching, not emotionally cold as some have said.

Gunslinger Girl, in my opinion, was probably one of the better animes I've watched. I really liked the characters, and the gunfights themselves weren't bad. Noir was like Gunslinger Girl, kind of--it's definitely worth checking out. By far Noir was one of the most realistic animes I've ever seen.

Oh, and to the guy above this post--Hellsing's a pretty good anime. :)

Azure Skye
07-10-2007, 05:27 PM
Spirited Away, Perfect Blue, Grave of the Fireflys and Millennium Actress are all fantastic too.

That movie made me cry so hard. I couldn't watch it all the way through because I kept having to leave the room. Later, I went into the shower and bawled.

------------------------

Anything by Miyazaki is top rate.

Pamster
07-12-2007, 08:09 PM
I love Full Metal Alchemist, and other series, but Full Metal is special to me because the hero is a double aputee, and I lost a leg to the hip, but of course Ed the main character, has much more stump then I do so I am in a chair, not walking and doing cool combat maneuvers. :D

I like Inuyasha, and DN Angel, and Hellsing, and a few others, even Yugioh. So consider the source when you read what I've said. I remember anime back from 76' Battle of the Planets' it was called, and then we got 'Robotech' and 'Starblazers.' Anyone remember those? ;) :D

childeroland
07-15-2007, 06:01 AM
Hellsing's been recommended to me by so many that I have to get the DVDs now.

I remember 'Battle of the Planets' though I've never seen the '72 anime originals, unfortunately.

FUNimation just released 'Shadow Chronicles' (Robotech) in February. Question about that -- is 'Macross Plus' part of that franchise or is it separate?

As for 'Starblazers' I'm still waiting for the uncut original 'Yamato' series to come to DVD. Haven't been able to find it.

childeroland
07-15-2007, 08:17 PM
A pleasant surprise: Adult Swim is running the original 'Astro Boy' early Sunday mornings. Saw 'Birth of Astro Boy' -- very decent show for those into classic anime.

maxmordon
07-16-2007, 01:48 AM
Well, my favorite anime of all is Neon Genesis Evangelion but I also enjoy Cowboy Bebop, Lain, Ghost in the shell and Sakura Cardcaptor

childeroland
07-16-2007, 02:34 AM
I like Evangelion a lot also, but unfortunately missed the first few eps when Adult Swim showed them. Whoever does Bebop and Ghost int he Shell are gods, of course. Haven't gotten around to Lain and Cardcaptor yet; what do you like about them?

maxmordon
07-16-2007, 02:43 AM
Not sure why do I like Cardcaptor, must be that it's incredible they can have something so repetitive like seeking around for cards for the first 50 episodes and wasn't boring, they managed to do it interesting

Lain just blew my brains away, I have watched the whole series 3 times and I still don't completely get it

childeroland
07-16-2007, 02:53 AM
Some interesting trivia from Wikipedia: Lain's director Nakamura did a Ghost in the Shell episode, and its writer did the Big O and Hellsing as well as the horror film Marebito.

maxmordon
07-16-2007, 03:01 AM
a lot of people have recommended me Hellsing and The Big O but I haven't got a chance to see even a glimpse of it

childeroland
07-18-2007, 02:41 PM
Best Capture of Evangelion trailer is now online, AICN reports

DragonHeart
07-18-2007, 09:24 PM
I used to be really into anime. I still enjoy it of course, I'm just not nearly as fanatic about it now. I'll pick up a series here and there but I'll usually go a couple months without watching it at all. I just don't have that kind of free time anymore.

The most recent anime I've seen is Busou Renkin. It's not especially deep but it has a lot of heart, not to mention humor. Plus it's short, 26 episodes, which means I'll be able to afford the DVDs without having to wait for a box set. I like anime with deep plots as much as anyone but sometimes I just want to have some fun, and Busou Renkin is perfect for that.

~DragonHeart~

Sheryl Nantus
07-18-2007, 09:36 PM
"The Big O" is excellent, if only for the deepness of the entire darned series. Even when you get to the end your mind will keep spinning.

at least mine did.

(and who can't love giant robots? hmm?)

maxmordon
07-19-2007, 08:25 AM
Damn! I keep hearing how great is Hellsing and the Big O are! (without minding how someone told me that my first story attempt was so much like the big O)

childeroland
07-19-2007, 04:02 PM
Does Busou Renkin strike you as a lighter version of Watsuki's Ruroni Kenshin?

btw, just got 'Witch Hunter Robin' (finally) today -- looking forward to diving into that.

I used to be really into anime. I still enjoy it of course, I'm just not nearly as fanatic about it now. I'll pick up a series here and there but I'll usually go a couple months without watching it at all. I just don't have that kind of free time anymore.

The most recent anime I've seen is Busou Renkin. It's not especially deep but it has a lot of heart, not to mention humor. Plus it's short, 26 episodes, which means I'll be able to afford the DVDs without having to wait for a box set. I like anime with deep plots as much as anyone but sometimes I just want to have some fun, and Busou Renkin is perfect for that.

~DragonHeart~

childeroland
07-22-2007, 02:30 AM
A little repeat reminder for anyone interested: Adult Swim (God bless them) is running 'Astro Boy' early Sunday morning.

childeroland
07-26-2007, 06:27 PM
Has anyone seen Black Cat? I can't find any recs on anime-planet.

maxmordon
07-26-2007, 09:05 PM
Adult Swim here doesn't show anime :(

childeroland
07-26-2007, 11:59 PM
You're not missing much; Adult Swim doesn't show nearly enough anime here either (though their broadcasting the original 'Astro Boy' is an extremely pleasant surprise).

maxmordon
07-29-2007, 09:18 AM
Adult Swim here shows:

Aqua Teen Hunger Force
Bob and Margaret ("Bob y Margaret")
The Brak Show ("El Show de Brak")
Space Ghost: Coast to Coast ("Fantasma del Espacio de costa a costa")
Harvey Birdman, Attorney at law("Harvey Birdman, abogado")
Oddjob Jack ("Jack, el empleado desempleado")
Sealab ("Laboratorio Submarino 2021") You can see we don't short out words
Veture Bros. ("Los hermanos Venture")
Squidbillies ("Los calamareños")
The Oblongs ("Los Oblongs")
Mission Hill
Home Movies ("Películas caseras")
Robot Chicken ("Pollo Robot")
Bromwell High ("Secundaria Bromwell")
Clone High ("Secundaria de clones")
Tripping the rift ("Tropezando en el espacio")
Undergrads("Universitarios")
Baby Blues
12 oz. Mouse ("Ratón Esponja")
Quads! ("Tullidos")
Bro'Town
Strooker y Hoop

Cartoon Network still shows Toonami here the other nights while Adult Swim is only on weekends, but the anime is really bad on Toonami (including 2 straight hours of Pokemon reruns) but from time to time they show cool movies (Cowboy Bebop, Metropolis, etc,)

childeroland
07-29-2007, 05:47 PM
The lineup is somewhat similar here, though we also get stuff like 'Bleach' and 'Blood+'. They're filling a lot of slots with original programming like Metalocalypse or whatever its called. Yikes.

swvaughn
07-30-2007, 01:21 AM
Woo hoo, anime! :D I like a bunch of it:

Naruto (see my avatar :D)
Trigun
Dragonball Z (Dragonball is OK, I despise GT)
Golden Boy
Fist of the North Star (the movie)
Blue Submarine No. 6
Zatch Bell
Most Miyazaki flicks, especially Princess Mononoke and Howl's Moving Castle

Those are my core enjoyments. I'll generally give any anime a shot, though.

childeroland
07-30-2007, 07:08 AM
Why do you dislike GT?

swvaughn
07-30-2007, 11:40 PM
Vegeta was always my favorite character, and I don't like what they've done to him in GT (though he does look freaking awesome as SS4... :D)

Writer14
07-31-2007, 03:13 AM
I absolutely love anime. ^^;;

Favorites include:
Full Metal Alchemist
Chrono Crusade
Fruits Basket
FullMetal Panic!
Naruto
Bleach
IGPX
Shaman King
Chobits
Air
DN Angel
Ranma 1/2
Maburaho
Mezzo
Eureka 7

and a bunch of others @_@ XD

childeroland
07-31-2007, 05:22 AM
I know what you mean. I tried to sit through 'Karas: The Prophecy' and 'Appleseed' but the character animation defeated me. Too video game-like.

Vegeta was always my favorite character, and I don't like what they've done to him in GT (though he does look freaking awesome as SS4... :D)

childeroland
07-31-2007, 05:27 AM
IGPX -- another great show not showing any more on Adult Swim. Sigh.

I'm still trying to get my hands on a cheap boxset of FullMetal Panic.

Despite the length of the Soul Society arc (which is starting to get on my nerves), Bleach rules.

Does anyone know if there are any extras on the Madman edition of the DN Angel DVD not to be found on the US (ADV) DVD set?

I absolutely love anime. ^^;;

Favorites include:
Full Metal Alchemist
Chrono Crusade
Fruits Basket
FullMetal Panic!
Naruto
Bleach
IGPX
Shaman King
Chobits
Air
DN Angel
Ranma 1/2
Maburaho
Mezzo
Eureka 7

and a bunch of others @_@ XD

childeroland
08-31-2007, 04:01 PM
Has anyone ever seen Red Garden? ADV's bringing it out next month. Can't find a rec for it yet on Anime-Planet.

desertcomet
09-04-2007, 11:11 PM
I'm not a fanatic but I do really like anime.

Gundam Wing
Full Metal Panic!, Fumoffu and The Second Raid
Full Metal Alchemist
Dragonball Z, not a GT or Dragon Ball fan though
Outlaw Star
Trigun
Bleach
.hack//sign

InfinityGoddess
09-05-2007, 12:31 AM
Anime that I either seen or have:

Witch Hunter Robin
Wolf's Rain
Hellsing
Inuyasha
Sailormoon (original subbed only though)
Nana
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Full Metal Alchemist
Samurai Champloo
Cowboy Bebop
Gundam Wing
Ghost in the Shell (both the first movie and the Stand Alone Complex series)
Vampire Hunter D
Devilman OVA
Ranma 1/2
Tenchi Muyo!
Ninja Scroll
Wings of Honneamise
Street Fighter II movie
Animated Transformers movie - the one where Optimus Prime dies and Rodimus Prime takes over

RumpleTumbler
09-05-2007, 12:35 AM
My daughter is madly in love with Inuyasha.

I do get tickled at all the "sit boy's."

maxmordon
09-05-2007, 02:47 AM
My daughter is madly in love with Inuyasha.

I have several female friends that adore him, I don't know why.

Also I have a female friends that just love Papa to Kiss in the Dark, Loveless, etc.

Writer14
09-05-2007, 09:20 PM
I have a slight -i'm giving myself far too much credit- obessession over Kyo Sohma from Fruits Basket & Edward Elric from FMA

Leva
09-06-2007, 03:06 AM
I have several female friends that adore him, I don't know why.

I have a female friends that just love Papa to Kiss in the Dark, Loveless, etc.

Regarding Inuyasha, it's the whole Beauty-and-the-Beast thing. He's an archetypical "Beast" character -- the bad boy with a heart of gold, who's been through hell, has a chip on his shoulder, and secretely is a really nice guy -- and, of course, there's the /m/a/r/y/ /s/u/e/ pretty girl who tames him by showing him affection and winning his trust.

That character type is appealing to quite a few women.

Who, me, like Inuyasha? Nah.

*mumblers about fanfic and slinks off*

Someone else will have to explain the appeal of yaoi.

-- Leva

Purenightshade
09-06-2007, 06:32 PM
Pretty much anything from Miyazaki/Studio Ghili is good
Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon
Magic Knight Rayearth
Trigun
DNAngel
Ginga Eiyu Densetsu (Legend of the Galactic Heroes)
Noir
Shin Seiki Evangelion
Azumanga Daiou
Trinity Blood
Fushigi Yuugi
Wolf's Rain
Oniisama e (Brother Dear Brother)
Pet shop of Horrors
Kido Tenshi Angelic Layer

I'm sure I'm missing some in there.Yes, I'm a rabid otaku. Very rabid. Stay back. It's contagious.

InfinityGoddess
09-07-2007, 12:21 AM
Regarding Inuyasha, it's the whole Beauty-and-the-Beast thing. He's an archetypical "Beast" character -- the bad boy with a heart of gold, who's been through hell, has a chip on his shoulder, and secretely is a really nice guy -- and, of course, there's the /m/a/r/y/ /s/u/e/ pretty girl who tames him by showing him affection and winning his trust.

Actually, I like his brother, better. Sesshoumaru... :D~~~ Inuyasha can be kind of an idiot and a jerk sometimes. Sesshoumaru is just cool.

Someone else will have to explain the appeal of yaoi.

Some fangirls like the idea of man-on-man action (it's not necessarily my thing, but whatever floats one's boat). I guess it's kinda like straight guys who like lesbian porn or something. :p Who knows.

Koobie
09-07-2007, 12:28 AM
Cowboy Bebop is def. my all-time fav. Closely followed by the first 10 episodes of Death Note (talk about tension). For a less, em, involving experience, Hellsing (not the newer OVAs though, IMO) and the recent Devil May Cry are pretty good too.

childeroland
09-07-2007, 04:44 AM
Viz Media is bringing Death Note over here starting November, I think. The guy who plays Gaeta on Battlestar is supposed to voice 'L'!

Cowboy Bebop is def. my all-time fav. Closely followed by the first 10 episodes of Death Note (talk about tension). For a less, em, involving experience, Hellsing (not the newer OVAs though, IMO) and the recent Devil May Cry are pretty good too.

childeroland
09-08-2007, 05:35 PM
Does anyone know when Geneon might release an 'Ergo Proxy' boxset?

Leva
09-09-2007, 12:18 AM
Actually, I like his brother, better. Sesshoumaru... :D~~~ Inuyasha can be kind of an idiot and a jerk sometimes. Sesshoumaru is just cool.

LOL. Yeah, Sesshoumaru has a certain appeal too. And there's definitely a certain segment of fangirls who love to *ahem* think about what it would take to crack that oh-so-controlled and dignified facade ... :D ... witness large volumes of Sesshi/Kagome fanfic.

Edit to add: and re: yaoi/ guy-on-guy action -- I've also heard it speculated that some women aren't happy with the way the men they know act and like to read about feminized guys in yaoi/slash that behave closer to how they WANT men to act.

Me? I don't get the whole slash/yaoi thing. I will read stories with a m/m romance that are *well done* with characters that feel "real" but, dangit, when the guys start acting like teenage girls and, in the case of bishis in manga, even LOOK like teenage girls, it's kindof offputting and weird and tends to disrupt my suspension of disbelief. But that's me. I have no problem and totally respect the folks who want to read or write yaoi/slash/etc ... there's plenty of room for everyone's interests in the world.

AceTachyon
09-11-2007, 10:14 PM
My list of faves:
Gunsmith Cats
Nausicaa
Castle in the Sky
Castle of Cagliostro
Howl's Moving Castle
Kiki's Delivery Service
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Appleseed (the new one)

Then there were the "imported and reworked" shows like Robotech and Star Blazers.