PDA

View Full Version : Transformers

III
07-03-2007, 01:23 AM
Admittedly, Transformers was a little after my time (my younger brother was a fanatic) and I absolutely despise Michael Bay, but I've got my tix for the premiere at the IMAX tonight. Why? Because it's been raining here for a month and the kids are driving my wife crazy, so I need to get them out of the house! Look for the scathing (but impartial) review tomorrow!

Rainy Night
07-03-2007, 01:32 AM
Can't wait... I've been looking forward to this one.

childeroland
07-03-2007, 01:32 AM
NYTimes gave this a mixed (at best) review but so far Metacritics has this at 65 (Generally good reviews), their readers at 8.5. Rottentomatoes has this at 63%

maestrowork
07-03-2007, 02:55 AM
I'm sure it's a fun, exciting movie for the summer.

Izunya
07-03-2007, 06:07 AM
I'll be going too, maybe Wednesday or Thursday, so I can weigh in. Mind you, I'm not really expecting a good movie. I'm expecting a lightweight kind of movie with cool machines, a few funny lines, and explosions. So I don't think I'm going to be disappointed.

Izunya

JoNightshade
07-03-2007, 06:10 AM
I love, love, love big machines. I hated Titanic, utterly, but you know when they flash to the engine room and those huge pistons are turning? I thought I was going to cry.

I, Robot DID make me cry.

I could care less about the plot of Transformers, or the acting, or whatever. I just want to see big, cool, lifelike machines. On a big screen.

maestrowork
07-03-2007, 06:47 AM
I could care less about the plot, or the acting, or whatever.

The dumbing down of American audience is well underway. ;) ;)

ALLWritety
07-03-2007, 01:35 PM
I must admit that I too was too old for transformers and i didn't think it would be good, but my friend who is hard to please says it is really good. I hope to get to see it but not sure when.

K.

III
07-03-2007, 05:33 PM
Okay, I saw it last night at the IMAX in a theater packed with Transformers fans, so it was optimal viewing conditions, but I have to say this movie was awesome. As much as I hate Michael Bay and have been disappointed by or hated all of this summer's blockbusters (Spidey 3, Shrek 3, POTC 3, Fantastic Four ROTSS), Transformers was a great surprise.

In contrast to Fantastic Four (for example) which had terrible acting, nonsensical dialouge, terrible editing, and a plot that was scotch-taped together, Transformers was cohesive, exciting, and thoroughly entertaining. The CGI was great - best of the summer. The music and score were fantastic. And perhaps best of all, the dialouge was consistently funny and clever. The audience laughed and clapped throughout the movie. It was true enough to the old cartoons with the bantering Transformers, but had a decent storyline with Shia. Even the acting was good (not great, but good enough).

The story did kind of bog down on itself in the middle (at 2 1/2 hours, it could have been edited down a little more) and some of the CGI fight scenes were too close to the action so they looked a little messy on the big screen, but those were minor issues.

Catch this one on the big screen. It's one of the few movies that's worth paying to see in the theater. Oh, and my seven-year-old son and my early-twenties-buddies loved it too.

maestrowork
07-03-2007, 05:48 PM
It's a boys' movie.

The_Grand_Duchess
07-03-2007, 06:20 PM
It's a boys' movie.

I am a girl and I'm all geeked to see this movie! I've been waiting since the teaser trailer!

I'm also waiting for a live action GI Joe. That would be awesome. Or GI Joe and Transformers together, super awesome.

ChaosTitan
07-03-2007, 07:05 PM
It's a boys' movie.

How so?

sunna
07-03-2007, 07:19 PM
It's a boys' movie.

:D Guess I'm a boy then. :D

I probably won't try to drag my friends to it, and my husband would run screaming if I even mildly suggested he come with, but I will definitely go to this one. There's just something about seeing a movie made from a show I watched as a Saturday morning cartoon that grabs me every time, I dunno why.

Also, I have to do something to pass the time before HP5 comes out.
And I love big 'bots, like JoNightshade. I, Robot was awesome! :snoopy:

III
07-03-2007, 10:09 PM
How so?

There was a ten-minute scene that was deleted from the final cut where Optimus Prime goes on a tirade about how women shouldn't have the right to vote and how women are the real enemy of mankind, but it was considered too controversial. I heard it'll be an easter egg in the DVD, though. ;)

maestrowork
07-03-2007, 10:16 PM
I mean, which Transformers are "girls"?

III
07-03-2007, 10:20 PM

That's the sequel: Transgenders - More than meets the thigh.

(oh man that's bad, but I just cracked myself up).

JoNightshade
07-03-2007, 11:43 PM
It's a boys' movie.

Er, did you not see my post? In which I declared my everlasting love of big greasy machines?

FYI, I own a black civic with bronze rims and lambo doors. :P

sunna
07-03-2007, 11:47 PM
There was a ten-minute scene that was deleted from the final cut where Optimus Prime goes on a tirade about how women shouldn't have the right to vote and how women are the real enemy of mankind, but it was considered too controversial. I heard it'll be an easter egg in the DVD, though. ;)

Well @$%#, I don't remember anything like that in the cartoon ...was that something they pulled from the comic, or is it out of the blue?

III
07-04-2007, 12:08 AM
Well @$%#, I don't remember anything like that in the cartoon ...was that something they pulled from the comic, or is it out of the blue?

Actually I was just kidding around. Optimus Prime isn't known for political or politically incorrect rants, although the Transformers are pretty much the epitome of a two-party system.

Jamesaritchie
07-04-2007, 12:43 AM
May be good, may be bad, but I'll probably never know. I can't recall a movie in my lifetime that I have less desire to see. I'm sure as heck not going to pay to watch it.

mdin
07-04-2007, 12:48 AM
As someone who went through three or four Optimus Primes and twice as many Megatrons because I played with them to death, I have to give this movie a big, fat thumbs up. Extra credit goes to the screenwriters who worked really hard to make the movie entertaining whether the robots were on screen or not.

childeroland
07-04-2007, 02:32 AM
Shia keeps the film going, gives it a human feeling that pulls the audience along. Star in the making. The rest of the cast is serviceable. It was difficult to distinguish some of the Transformers -- I kept getting Bumblebee and Ironhide mixed up. Michael Bay actually holds his shots long enough so you can view every scene. The CGI here is some of the best ever put on screen. I hated what happened to one of the Transformers near the end -- bogus. I liked Jon Voight.

maestrowork
07-04-2007, 03:06 AM
Er, did you not see my post? In which I declared my everlasting love of big greasy machines?

FYI, I own a black civic with bronze rims and lambo doors. :P

Just because you're a girl and like it doesn't make it less of a boys' movie. :) Girls like boys' stuff, too, I know. It's still a boys' movie -- the director is a boy, the writers are boys, the producer is a boy, and the lead is a boy. It is a boys' film. Just as a chick flick is still a chick flick no matter how many men have seen it. ;)

TheGaffer
07-04-2007, 03:18 AM
May be good, may be bad, but I'll probably never know. I can't recall a movie in my lifetime that I have less desire to see. I'm sure as heck not going to pay to watch it.

Lambada: The Forbidden Dance?

Because that's still #1 for me.

This is probably #3 or #4 tho.

ChaosTitan
07-04-2007, 06:40 AM
Just because you're a girl and like it doesn't make it less of a boys' movie. :) Girls like boys' stuff, too, I know. It's still a boys' movie -- the director is a boy, the writers are boys, the producer is a boy, and the lead is a boy.

So by this logic, The Fast and the Furious is a boy's movie, even though twice as many women went to watch it just to see Vin Diesel flex his muscles?

:ROFL:

maestrowork
07-04-2007, 07:58 AM
I don't know any women who went to see Fast and Furious. Gay boys, yes. ;)

ChaosTitan
07-04-2007, 08:07 AM
I don't know any women who went to see Fast and Furious. Gay boys, yes. ;)

:wag:

Like I said: Vin Diesel. Flexing muscles.

Heck, even Paul Walker is nice to look at.

*happy sigh*

Err...what was the topic again?

JoNightshade
07-04-2007, 09:59 AM
Okay, I just got back from the theatre. Although I do LOVE Robots and Machines, I have to say that I was never a transformers fan as a kid; I was never "into" them. So I'm not like an automatic fan.

My evaluation? Fan-frickin-TASTIC. WAY cool robots, military aircraft, and cool cars aside... Shia just MADE this movie. The entire theatre was in stitches for the entire first half. They should have marketed this movie as a comedy. I haven't laughed that hard at a movie in ages.

ALLWritety
07-04-2007, 06:46 PM
I just got back from seeing it. I loved the movie. It was a fantastic all round movie. I was clutching my sides with the bumble bee lubricate scene.

Top Notch!
Kev.

Izunya
07-05-2007, 07:53 AM
Well, I liked it. Not deep, but way cool. It had a nice blend of comedy and action, not to mention a nice blend of special effects and live acting. I thought it was a kind of ambitious plot for an action piece, really, with four groups of protagonists. I was pleased that I could pretty much follow it without a knowledge of the original show.

Specific things I liked (possible minor spoilers):

The little Decepticon.
The fact that the black sargeant did not suffer the stereotypical fate of black sargeants and die first.
Giant robots sneaking. Let me just repeat that, so that you can appreciate the full comedic impact: giant robots. Sneaking.
The look on the main protagonist's face the first time he got a good look at the robots. Sort of like his brain had retreated to one corner of his skull to hug itself and gibber, "Big big big big big big big . . ." If he hadn't reacted like that, the best CGI in the world couldn't have completely conveyed the size and weight of the machines.
The fact that, "boy's movie" or not, the female characters were pretty awesome.

It did have a few cheesy lines, but hey, I happily forgive that in comic book based movies, so why not this? All in all, it was fun. I wouldn't mind seeing it again.

Izunya

Writer2011
07-05-2007, 08:32 AM
I saw the movie yesterday and LOVED it!!!

Can anyone tell me about the teaser trailer--it's coming out in January 2008--there wasn't a title, but there's a big explosion and then something fires...and then the Statue of Liberty's head can be seen sliding...There wasn't a title for the movie...could it be When Worlds Collide perchance?

Lyra Jean
07-05-2007, 09:42 AM
Oh I saw the movie tonight. Woohoo, Transformers was awesome.

The name of the movie was either "Big Robot" or "I am ______" can't remember the last word. Sorry.

III
07-05-2007, 05:24 PM
I saw the movie yesterday and LOVED it!!!

Can anyone tell me about the teaser trailer--it's coming out in January 2008--there wasn't a title, but there's a big explosion and then something fires...and then the Statue of Liberty's head can be seen sliding...There wasn't a title for the movie...could it be When Worlds Collide perchance?

Yeah, that trailer looked really good. They were having a surprise party and taping it with a camcorder when things started exploding. From the sounds in the background, I thought it might be Godzilla or something.

childeroland
07-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Its working title is 'Cloverfield' but no one knows if that will be the film's final title or not.

Yeah, that trailer looked really good. They were having a surprise party and taping it with a camcorder when things started exploding. From the sounds in the background, I thought it might be Godzilla or something.

III
07-05-2007, 06:20 PM
The name of the movie was either "Big Robot" or "I am ______" can't remember the last word. Sorry.

That reminded me of a line from the Simpsons:

"I once saw this movie about a bus that had to speed around the city, keeping its speed above 50. And if its speed dropped, it would explode. I think it was called ... The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."

-Homer Simpson

Provrb1810meggy
07-05-2007, 06:39 PM
I thought Transformers was great, and this is the girl who asked her brother, "This is a cartoon, right?" I hadn't been too enthusiastic about seeing it, but the first part of the movie was hilarious, and the robot and action was cool. I thought the action at the end kind of dragged on, but for the most part, I was on the edge of my seat.

Lyra Jean
07-05-2007, 06:41 PM
I remember the name of the movie now.

I Am Legend.

mdin
07-05-2007, 08:44 PM
The "Cloverfield" movie is a supposed secret movie project coming out in January of '08. It's described as:

A giant monster movie (referred to internally as "The Parasite") which is shot using home video cameras from the point of view of people who are experiencing the attack on New York City.

It's made by J.J. Abrams and Drew Goddard, the guys behind Lost and couple other cult series.

Writer2011
07-05-2007, 09:00 PM
I figured as much...it's not I Am Legend which looks pretty good...But thanks for the input :)

Chasing the Horizon
07-06-2007, 05:43 AM
Are they running the same ads on this movie at every theater in the country? I saw trailers for I Am Legend and that New York monster movie too on Transformers.

Anyway, Transformers was great. I loved it. It was really funny in a lot of places and the special effects were absolutely spectacular (almost as good as the special effects in Pirates). It was a fun, funny, entertaining movie with lots of explosions; exactly what I was expecting.

childeroland
07-06-2007, 06:19 AM
It's directed by Matt Reeves, who did 'The Pallbearer' and used to write for 'Felicity'.

The "Cloverfield" movie is a supposed secret movie project coming out in January of '08. It's described as:

It's made by J.J. Abrams and Drew Goddard, the guys behind Lost and couple other cult series.

Opty
07-06-2007, 09:35 AM
Arcee. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcee)

dclary
07-06-2007, 01:40 PM
Just got back from seeing this. Easily the best GM commercial ever made.

I think Spielberg attached his name to it because he wanted a giant aliens invading movie to be remembered by, and was terrified War of the Worlds would be it. Transformers is not only everything it set out to be, but it was everything he'd hoped WotW would be, too. Smart, funny, deeply human, and an all-around outstanding movie, top-to-bottom.

Inkdaub
07-06-2007, 01:56 PM
I'm getting excited by all these good reviews. I WAS a big Transformers fan and want it to be good. I am concerned over Optimus's lips, though. Also...how can they make a Transformers movie without having 'You Got the Touch' in it?

III
07-06-2007, 05:47 PM
Also...how can they make a Transformers movie without having 'You Got the Touch' in it?

'You Got the Touch' - wasn't that one of the songs Dirk Diggler sang on his demo in Boogie Nights?

childeroland
07-06-2007, 06:43 PM
Too bad Marvel never worked Female Autobots into the comics.

Arcee. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcee)

maestrowork
07-06-2007, 07:18 PM
But is Arcee in the movie? If not, it's a total boys' movie, then.

Lyra Jean
07-06-2007, 07:23 PM
Arcee is not in the movie. What did she transform into anyways? A dishwasher?

maestrowork
07-06-2007, 07:26 PM
Arcee is not in the movie. What did she transform into anyways? A dishwasher?

I have a comment for it, but it's NC-17.

childeroland
07-06-2007, 07:31 PM
Bay barely characterizes Jazz and Ironhide. I doubt he would try to handle a female robot.

Arcee initially transformed into a kind of hovercar. A later version had her bcome a motorbike, I think.

JoNightshade
07-06-2007, 07:41 PM
I'm getting excited by all these good reviews. I WAS a big Transformers fan and want it to be good. I am concerned over Optimus's lips, though.

I thought his lips were a little weird but it's not a deal breaker in the least. None of the robots even speaks until like halfway through the movie anyway. I think Optimus speaking constitutes maybe 0.5% of on screen time, and the awesome voice makes up for strangely malleable lips. (They're METAL! How can they move like that?!)

dclary
07-06-2007, 09:43 PM
The lips weren't so bad. It was his flaring nostrils that I thought were over the top.

III
07-06-2007, 09:51 PM
Moreso than the gaping oil hole?

maestrowork
07-06-2007, 10:03 PM
Lips and nostrils? These are friggin' robots that can turn into cars! What do they need lips and nostrils for?

dclary
07-06-2007, 10:12 PM
Moreso than the gaping oil hole?

The lubrication scene was hilarious. 80% of the movie was hilarious. I laughed my ass off for most of it.

jedimaster107
07-07-2007, 05:38 AM

where did you hear this at? it makes no sense for it to be in the movie. i can't see Prime saying that. my husand can't see that making sense. and we use to watch the cartoon when we were little. Hubby is waiting for the complete serise to come out on DVD.

I saw it opening day and thought it was fantastic. My husband is a huge TF fan and i liked it more then him.

right now we're battle to see what will take over the house. Transformers or Winnie the Pooh (i'm a big pooh lover)

jedimaster107
07-07-2007, 05:43 AM
FYI......

There is a girl transformer. Arcee. She was in the animated movie. From what my husband found out, she was supposed to be in the movie but got cut. The scene in the city where the army guy jumps onto the bike, the bike was suppose to be Arcee. I wondered why that didn't make sense to happen to have a bike there with the keys in the engine.

Thought you would like to know.

PS i'm still mad at DC for killing off Bart Allen :rant:

jedimaster107
07-07-2007, 06:27 AM
my hubby found this on youtube. a band called Black lab redid the theme. here's the video for it. This verison of the theme is NOT on the sound track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzuVuAWATqM

III
07-07-2007, 06:33 AM
where did you hear this at? it makes no sense for it to be in the movie. i can't see Prime saying that. my husand can't see that making sense. and we use to watch the cartoon when we were little. Hubby is waiting for the complete serise to come out on DVD.

I was just kidding. I thought it was pretty funny to think of kind-hearted Optimus Prime going off on a sexist tangent. I need some sort of "dry humor" emoticon for my posts.

Varthikes
07-07-2007, 07:27 AM
I just saw this today. Chose it over Ratatoullie because it's been a really long time since I've seen some science fiction in the theater.

I really loved it! My kind of story! I'll be in theaters for the sequal if they make one.

The Bush joke was great, too! :ROFL:

maestrowork
07-07-2007, 09:17 AM
Science fiction? Robots with lips from outerspace is not science fiction. ;)

And you're really missing out for not seeing Ratatouille. I am sure Transformers is really fun, exciting, loud, hilarious, etc. but I can't even compare it with the brilliance of Ratatouille.

Varthikes
07-08-2007, 12:54 AM
Science fiction? Robots with lips from outerspace is not science fiction. ;)

And you're really missing out for not seeing Ratatouille. I am sure Transformers is really fun, exciting, loud, hilarious, etc. but I can't even compare it with the brilliance of Ratatouille.

Fandango listed it as sci-fi. Besides, what science fiction doesn't have its nonsense bits?

But, I am hoping to see Ratatouille, too, at a later date.

JoNightshade
07-08-2007, 01:05 AM
PS i'm still mad at DC for killing off Bart Allen :rant:

I'm still mad at them for totally destroying his character, letting incompetent writers screw with him, barely dragging him out of the dirt, and THEN killing him.

jedimaster107
07-08-2007, 02:02 AM
Death To DC!!!!!

jedimaster107
07-08-2007, 02:04 AM
I was just kidding. I thought it was pretty funny to think of kind-hearted Optimus Prime going off on a sexist tangent. I need some sort of "dry humor" emoticon for my posts.

:D

ChaosTitan
07-08-2007, 03:51 AM
Wow, jedimaster, that's a....big....signature. :eek:

Serenity
07-08-2007, 11:10 PM
Wow. Can I just say how much I completely loved this movie????

:D Seriously, can I say that?

I gotta tell you, I was highly entertained for the entire time I was there. Some dizzying effects, but ... damn.

Yeah, I liked it. A lot. Just in case you all didn't get that from my subtle hints. :Trophy:

ETA: Plotting ways to go see it again without seeming like a complete geek.

Oh hush, Chaos...

JoNightshade
07-09-2007, 01:01 AM
Death To DC!!!!!

Whoa, now, that's a little extreme. They ARE letting Dini do Batman, you know. Maybe they'll bring Bart back in his original incarnation. I hope. Someday.

Okay that was a tangent. Back to Transformers! I think I've convinced my parents to go see it, which is quite an accomplishment.

Deadbeat 007
07-09-2007, 02:01 AM
I saw it a day before its release with some friends, and I was pleasantly surprised. I thought the first half was pretty clever - I found myself laughing out loud, which doesn't happen too much at the movie theater. Towards the end, though, it started feeling draggy. All in all, I enjoyed myself, even though it felt too long. :)

ChaosTitan
07-09-2007, 07:02 AM
Were Serenity and I the only "Buffy, TVS" fans who spotted Jonathan (Tom Lenk) as one of the junior analysts? This film was rife with television B- and C-List character actors.

childeroland
07-09-2007, 07:10 AM
I noticed Tom Lenk also. But his name on the show was Andrew Wells, not Jonathan. (Jonathan was played by Danny Strong.)

Bmwhtly
07-09-2007, 11:27 AM
The film isn't out over here quite yet. But would you like a judgement based on the Trailer?

you wouldn't?

Fine.

Inkdaub
07-09-2007, 12:59 PM
'You Got the Touch' - wasn't that one of the songs Dirk Diggler sang on his demo in Boogie Nights?

Yes it was. It's also in the Transformers animated movie.

III
07-09-2007, 05:52 PM
Were Serenity and I the only "Buffy, TVS" fans who spotted Jonathan (Tom Lenk) as one of the junior analysts? This film was rife with television B- and C-List character actors.

Kinda like Starship Troopers. Any movie with ultra-hot Rue McClanahan is alright with me!

ChaosTitan
07-09-2007, 07:00 PM
I noticed Tom Lenk also. But his name on the show was Andrew Wells, not Jonathan. (Jonathan was played by Danny Strong.)

:poke:

I knew it sounded wrong when I posted it, but I hit Submit anyway.....sheesh.

ChunkyC
07-09-2007, 07:30 PM
Saw this thread last week, but didn't want to chime in until I saw the film.

In a word: FUN

It's definitely aimed at a young crowd, especially those who grew up on the cartoon (well duh, Chunky, who else would it be for?) ;)

Anyway, if you are an adult who didn't grow up on the cartoon, you'll find the dialogue hokey in spots, expecially the corny expository speeches by Optimus Prime. But when you add in the humour (the autobots trying to hide in Sam's back yard was hilarious), the whole thing works.

And the cgi of the transformers was incredible, though I have to agree with whoever said upthread that sometimes the 'camera' got too close to the action which made it difficult to make out what was going on. Then again, if you were actually there watching it, perhaps that's exactly what you would experience.

SPOILER ALERT: my one little beef was with untied story threads. What happened to Sam's parents? :D

III
07-09-2007, 07:41 PM
though I have to agree with whoever said upthread that sometimes the 'camera' got too close to the action which made it difficult to make out what was going on.

I said that! What do I win?

ALLWritety
07-09-2007, 07:44 PM
Hey CC

Little Spoiler

Did you stop to watch the titles at the end? They had bits in with the parents who seemed to be kinda brain washed or at least wiped clean of the events.

Kev

dclary
07-09-2007, 07:46 PM
No, I actually interpreted that as the parents being the same wise-asses to the press that they were to the government.

ALLWritety
07-09-2007, 07:48 PM
Hmmm interesting point! Dclary! Maybe!
K.

ChunkyC
07-09-2007, 07:48 PM
Hey CC

Little Spoiler

Did you stop to watch the titles at the end? They had bits in with the parents who seemed to be kinda brain washed or at least wiped clean of the events.

Kev
Ah, thanks Kev. No, I boogied out right at the end.

III -- you win a shiny link:

youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZlArLBHoWE)

maestrowork
07-09-2007, 07:54 PM
As one reviewer said: a great movie for boys and the boys trapped in grown men (and a few females). I think that about sums this up. ;)

III
07-09-2007, 08:00 PM
III -- you win a shiny link:

youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZlArLBHoWE)

Sweet! Was that Linkin Park singing?

dclary
07-09-2007, 08:04 PM
Sweet! Was that Linkin Park singing?

Yes, and per a TV Guide channel special I watched, Bay wanted them almost from day one, and knew they were big Transformers fans. That song is on their new album, but was written with the movie in mind.

Rainy Night
07-09-2007, 08:53 PM
Loved it, took my kids, 7 & 9 - had to explain to them what masturbation was... only questionable part of the movie for me, I didn't think that scene, *joke* needed to be in there.

dclary
07-09-2007, 08:56 PM
Loved it, took my kids, 7 & 9 - had to explain to them what masturbation was... only questionable part of the movie for me, I didn't think that scene, *joke* needed to be in there.

It was a little over-the-top for a kid's movie, but it made Mom's reaction when she saw hottie-girlfriend for the first time that much more awesomely funny.

III
07-09-2007, 09:45 PM

Yeah, the audience cracked up and my 7-year-old son turned to me and said "What's masturbation?" I said "I'll tell you later." Fortunately he forgot all about it. They could have been a little more subtle and still had the joke work.

maestrowork
07-09-2007, 10:09 PM
Why? It's a PG-13 movie. It's not their fault that people are taking their 7yo to see a movie about robots destroying Earth and killing people... :) What makes people think it's a kids movie, because it's based on a cartoon?

III
07-09-2007, 10:19 PM
Why? It's a PG-13 movie. It's not their fault that people are taking their 7yo to see a movie about robots destroying Earth and killing people... :) What makes people think it's a kids movie, because it's based on a cartoon?

Yeah, I'm sure they didn't think people would bring their kids to see it.

They managed to keep the rest of the movie clever and funny and pretty clean; I just wish they had done it with that line as well. But I'm not going to be writing protest letters or anything. Caveat emptor.

ChunkyC
07-09-2007, 10:32 PM
Heck, one couple brought a baby to the show I went to. :crazy:

As far as it being a kids movie -- it's The Transformers, of course there are going to be kids there. I too agree that the masturbation thing, when compared to the content of the rest of the film, was a tad out of place. The film would not had suffered without it. But like III said, anyone taking youngsters should look at the rating and be prepared for what might be on screen based on that.

dclary
07-09-2007, 11:21 PM
Bumblebee "lubricating" the Section 7 guy was pretty funny.

zpeteman
07-09-2007, 11:39 PM
I thought the 'lubrication' scene was way over the line and just plain tasteless. Actually, I wonder if they didn't add that and the masturbation joke for the sole purpose of getting the PG-13 rating. Without those two scenes it probably would have come in at PG.

It's a dang shame too because now myself, and a lot of other parents can't take their younger kids to see what would otherwise be a great movie for them. Now we have to wait for it to come out on DVD so we can skip those bits, which sucks because things are so much more fun on the big screen.

maestrowork
07-09-2007, 11:42 PM
Bumblebee "lubricating" the Section 7 guy was pretty funny.

Potty jokes are always funny... for boys. :) Even if it's "lubricants" and the boys are 45 years old.

dclary
07-09-2007, 11:49 PM
Ahem.

dclary
07-09-2007, 11:50 PM
I thought the 'lubrication' scene was way over the line and just plain tasteless. Actually, I wonder if they didn't add that and the masturbation joke for the sole purpose of getting the PG-13 rating. Without those two scenes it probably would have come in at PG.

It's a dang shame too because now myself, and a lot of other parents can't take their younger kids to see what would otherwise be a great movie for them. Now we have to wait for it to come out on DVD so we can skip those bits, which sucks because things are so much more fun on the big screen.

Hey, the line for Ratatouille is on the other side of the theater.

Here's your summer breakdown:

Boys under 11: Rats
Boys under 16: Robots
All others: John McLane.

III
07-09-2007, 11:53 PM

Where does Hello Kitty fit into all this?

Rainy Night
07-09-2007, 11:55 PM

They are marketing it to kids, I mean they got the toys in the kids meals at Burger King, and prior to this it was a kids cartoon. Really it was no big deal, I just played it off with the kids and they're okay. It just didn't add anything to the movie (except a laugh from those who got it) and IMHO was unnecessary.

The lubrication scene however, my kids "got" and yes, potty humor goes over well with the 7 year olds.

ChunkyC
07-10-2007, 12:40 AM
I gotta agree with that. Pee and poo are hysterical to preteens. I admit to a mild guffaw myself at that scene.

Serenity
07-10-2007, 01:04 AM
Everyone at the theater where I was howled at the lubrication scene. To each his-- or her ;) -- own, I guess.

By the way, the main soundtrack can be found and downloaded on Rhapsody. I did that as soon as I got home from the theater yesterday.

dclary
07-10-2007, 01:08 AM
Where does Hello Kitty fit into all this?
girls.

maestrowork
07-10-2007, 04:06 AM
Hey, the line for Ratatouille is on the other side of the theater.

Here's your summer breakdown:

Actually I'd say:

all ages: rats ($100M in a week, not bad, and according to movie trackers, it's gaining momentum)
boys under 18 or man-boy of all ages: robots ($156M in a week, awesome!)
old farts: John McClane (showing fatique at $87M)

ChaosTitan
07-10-2007, 06:47 AM

Considering the amount of fighting, destruction, car chases and general violence in that film, I doubt it. Even without the potty humor and handful of swear words, it was still a PG-13 film.

Vanatru
07-10-2007, 06:50 AM
I thought it was a good movie...........with the exception of the hand puppet/masturbation scene. The audience was laughing real good up until that point. Then the theater was quiet.......almost awarkwardly.

But what the hey, I'm looking forward to Transformer II: The Robots Lives On

JoNightshade
07-11-2007, 01:46 AM
I thought I was going to die laughing when I read this: http://mcsweeneys.net/2007/7/9weaver.html

Lyra Jean
07-11-2007, 04:11 AM
Too Funny.

ChaosTitan
07-11-2007, 05:22 AM
I think Optimus needs to get a quote from All-State.

MattW
07-11-2007, 04:23 PM
I found some of the fight scenes to move too quickly, and there was so much movement so fast that I couldn't figure out who was doing what to whom.

It may have been a conscious choice, as later in the film some few of the scenes were slowed down. Still, I get that they are big machines and really fast too.

But instead of Autobots creeping around on the lawn, I'll take confusing explosion scenes any day.

WriterInChains
07-11-2007, 06:53 PM
My kiddo was a huge Transformers fan as a kid - I had parts of the original movie memorized! We saw it last night & just loved it! She had some "Michael Bay" issues with it, but I think he did a good job at not descending into sappy cliché. Bay very well could've had boy & girl kiss just before he took off running with the cube -- didn't happen. Surprises like that are rare, especially in a summer movie. Plus, it was funny as hell & the transforming action was awesome. Especially Starscream -- wow! :)

BTW, I laughed at the potty humor too does that make me a boy? :tongue
Does everything always have to be defined based on traditional gender roles? It's getting old, people.

ALLWritety
07-12-2007, 10:29 AM
Writer IC,

BTW, I laughed at the potty humor too does that make me a boy?

Yep Thats right. Now that you have finally accepted it you can bring out your inner boyness. That's it just let go of all the femine side and embrace your "Boyness".

Kev.

JoNightshade
07-12-2007, 10:38 AM
But instead of Autobots creeping around on the lawn, I'll take confusing explosion scenes any day.

Are you kidding? I thought that was the funniest scene in the movie! I laughed my head off.

WriterInChains
07-12-2007, 06:55 PM
Writer IC,

BTW, I laughed at the potty humor too does that make me a boy?

Yep Thats right. Now that you have finally accepted it you can bring out your inner boyness. That's it just let go of all the femine side and embrace your "Boyness".

Kev.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I think appreciating potty humor & giant transforming robots from space is just as womanly as stopping traffic in a cocktail dress or kicking ass at half-court basketball (both of which I embraced many years ago -- & it's a good thing cuz neither one's likely to happen again anytime soon :ROFL: ).

ALLWritety
07-13-2007, 12:00 PM
WIC,

Chill Jill, I was just teasing ya! Trying to make a joke!

Kev.

WriterInChains
07-13-2007, 06:33 PM
I knew that, KC. I guess mine fell flat? :Shrug:

It just bugs me - this is a forum populated by artistic folks & yet the same tired stereotypes are trotted out ad nauseam. I'm sure everyone can do better than that. At best, it shows a startling lack of imagination.

billythrilly7th
07-13-2007, 06:36 PM
I've lost my summer popcorn movie mojo.

I'm bored with them all.

Die Hard IV - EH
Transformers - Eh

I'm watching, but I just don't care all that much. I'm not drawn into the story or ahhh..whatever.

I just haven't loved a movie in a long time.

I really liked Knocked Up.

But movies just suck for me at this point. I've seen it all at this point and I just need something to blow me out of the water.

It's a shame I can't find those anymore.

I guess I'm getting old.

What a drag it is getting old.

nevada
07-13-2007, 07:24 PM
But movies just suck for me at this point. I've seen it all at this point and I just need something to blow me out of the water.

Ratatouille. Let me say that again. Ratatouille Dont be misled by the trailers and the Pixar tag. This is not a kid's movie. Oh sure, kiddies will love it, it's got talking rats, but at the end, this is a movie for adults. I don't want to spoil it but a column, read at the end, brought tears to my eyes. This movie is genius.

Now, about the Transformers. It was sooooo longggg. And I felt it was two movies, one a comedy, one a war movie, and they mashed it together and came up with this lump.

Here's how i see it went down. First they made the movie with the special forces, all serious, lots of soldiers shooting. It gets previewed and someone at the studio says that with Iraq still not won, it's too military and the audience won't like it. Couldn't Michael Bay make it, oh he doesnt know, funnier? So Mr Bay goes back to the writers and they write the funny movie with Shia LeBoeuf and it goes back to the studio. The same guy says, you know, i like it, very funny, but can't it be a bit more serious? It's too funny.

So Mr Bay goes back and looks at the budget. Damn, too many special effects. So he splices the first movie together with the second movie, shoots a few more scenes, and voila, a 2 and a half hour long schizophrenic movie.

I found it meh. And don't get me wrong. I LOVE action movies. LOVE THEM. But this one? Meh. I loved Shia LeBoeuf. He is an awesome actor and will definitely go far. Much more than an actor du jour.

I never saw the cartoons and maybe that's needed to really love this movie.

ALLWritety
07-13-2007, 07:29 PM
WIC

I guess we both fell flat! Anyway i am getting your humor more and won't react as much. As for your point yeah nothing new under the sun!

K.

billythrilly7th
07-13-2007, 07:40 PM
Ratatouille. Let me say that again. Ratatouille Dont be misled by the trailers and the Pixar tag. This is not a kid's movie. Oh sure, kiddies will love it, it's got talking rats, but at the end, this is a movie for adults. I don't want to spoil it but a column, read at the end, brought tears to my eyes. This movie is genius.

It's a cartoon.

Thrilly hates cartoon movies.

Didn't like Shrek.

Didn't like any of them.

Ratatouille is not what I'm looking for, but thanks for the suggestion.

I saw some commercial with the Batman Begins dude in like a war or something.

I'm putting some hopes on that one.

Writer2011
07-13-2007, 09:15 PM
Why does everyone have to be so damn critical over movie? Just go, watch it and have a good time...If you think you could do better, then write your own.

dclary
07-13-2007, 09:18 PM
It's a cartoon.

Thrilly hates cartoon movies.

Didn't like Shrek.

Didn't like any of them.

Ratatouille is not what I'm looking for, but thanks for the suggestion.

I saw some commercial with the Batman Begins dude in like a war or something.

I'm putting some hopes on that one.

That's getting *great* reviews Billy. It's called "Rescue Dawn."

Lyra Jean
07-13-2007, 09:21 PM
Now, about the Transformers. It was sooooo longggg. And I felt it was two movies, one a comedy, one a war movie, and they mashed it together and came up with this lump.

Here's how i see it went down. First they made the movie with the special forces, all serious, lots of soldiers shooting. It gets previewed and someone at the studio says that with Iraq still not won, it's too military and the audience won't like it. Couldn't Michael Bay make it, oh he doesnt know, funnier? So Mr Bay goes back to the writers and they write the funny movie with Shia LeBoeuf and it goes back to the studio. The same guy says, you know, i like it, very funny, but can't it be a bit more serious? It's too funny.

So Mr Bay goes back and looks at the budget. Damn, too many special effects. So he splices the first movie together with the second movie, shoots a few more scenes, and voila, a 2 and a half hour long schizophrenic movie.

I found it meh. And don't get me wrong. I LOVE action movies. LOVE THEM. But this one? Meh. I loved Shia LeBoeuf. He is an awesome actor and will definitely go far. Much more than an actor du jour.

I never saw the cartoons and maybe that's needed to really love this movie.

He transformed a war movie into a comedy and then transformed it back into a war movie. He was just trying to fit it into the theme.

Okay so I'm not that funny.

maestrowork
07-13-2007, 09:44 PM
Why does everyone have to be so damn critical over movie? Just go, watch it and have a good time...If you think you could do better, then write your own.

??

People are entitled to be critical about something they PAY to see or read. If someone doesn't like a movie, it's well within their right to say what's wrong with it. And I find your last sentence really immature. Do you mean if someone can't write or make a movie or sing or <fill in the blanks> they have no right to critique something?

dclary
07-13-2007, 09:47 PM
??

People are entitled to be critical about something they PAY to see or read. If someone doesn't like a movie, it's well within their right to say what's wrong with it. And I find your last sentence really immature. Do you mean if someone can write or make a movie or sing or <fill in the blanks> they have no right to critique something?

And nothing exists that can't be made better. Finding the faults in an otherwise perfect movie helps a person learn to better evaluate their own work, so they can write the superior script.

maestrowork
07-13-2007, 10:03 PM
And I find just lapping up everything and anything Hollywood throws at us, no questions asked, is not going to do Hollywood any good in the long run. Filmmakers sure can learn a thing or two about what their audiences like or dislike about their movies.

jvc
07-13-2007, 11:11 PM
The purpose of the Movie and TV forum is to, well, err, discuss movies and tv shows. In discussing a movie (or tv show) I don't think it out of the question for someone to post why they didn't enjoy a film (or tv show).

I am so gonna write a movie. I think I'll set it in New York and have a big dragon destroy something. Now, what is there in New York I could get the dragon to destroy? I know! The Statue of Liberty (they won't see that coming).

maestrowork
07-14-2007, 12:43 AM
Godzilla vs. Ms. Liberty.

Guaranteed a smash hit.

ChunkyC
07-14-2007, 01:47 AM

Guaranteed a smash hit.It'll be really cool when Ms. Liberty fights back in the sequel. :D

(hey, didn't Jenna commission a script from us a while back and we came up with a 747 low on fuel crash-landing on an aircraft carrier and Adam Sandler was gonna play the admiral.... heehee, found it (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36170).)

tourdeforce
07-14-2007, 01:51 AM
Which one of the robots was the Silver Surfer?

maestrowork
07-14-2007, 05:03 AM
(hey, didn't Jenna commission a script from us a while back and we came up with a 747 low on fuel crash-landing on an aircraft carrier and Adam Sandler was gonna play the admiral.... heehee, found it (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36170).)

I can't take that thread seriously with all the Hallow Kitty avatars...

ALLWritety
07-14-2007, 06:58 AM
Maestrowork

I can't take that thread seriously with all the Hallow Kitty avatars...

says he sportign a Hell Kitty Vader!!!!!!!!!

K.

ALLWritety
07-14-2007, 07:01 AM

Hey that's not a bad idea if there was only a way to bring the lady to life. Could be fun!!

Do you want to get together to write this blockbuster? I'm game.

K.

dclary
07-14-2007, 10:07 AM

Hey that's not a bad idea if there was only a way to bring the lady to life. Could be fun!!

Do you want to get together to write this blockbuster? I'm game.

K.

Maybe you should rewatch Ghostbusters 2 before pursuing this...

Writer2011
07-14-2007, 10:20 AM
??

People are entitled to be critical about something they PAY to see or read. If someone doesn't like a movie, it's well within their right to say what's wrong with it. And I find your last sentence really immature. Do you mean if someone can't write or make a movie or sing or <fill in the blanks> they have no right to critique something?
Well i'm not immature and that's all i've got to say about that.

ALLWritety
07-15-2007, 11:37 AM
Dclary,

Did Ghost busters bring The Lady to life or just animation her to walk? All she did was walk a little i wouldn't really say that was bringing her to life. I mean as in "to be able to fight the dragon or whatever" life.
K

JoNightshade
07-15-2007, 12:39 PM
I think what we really need to ask ourselves here is whether Lady Liberty, when brought to life, would actually FIGHT with Godzilla. I mean, being the only 150-foot-tall woman around, maybe she'd be more inclined to see him as a romantic interest. Now that's a movie I'd pay to see...

Lyra Jean
07-15-2007, 06:17 PM
Or ask him if he wanted to become a citizen of the country. Since Godzilla did travel across the ocean he must poor, tired, weary, and unwanted. She does carry around that plaque.

dclary
07-16-2007, 04:31 PM
Dclary,

Did Ghost busters bring The Lady to life or just animation her to walk? All she did was walk a little i wouldn't really say that was bringing her to life. I mean as in "to be able to fight the dragon or whatever" life.
K

They used the ectoplasm and the goodwill feelings of NYC to animate her. That's about as good as they could get back then.

MattW
07-16-2007, 04:43 PM
So by this logic, The Fast and the Furious is a boy's movie, even though twice as many women went to watch it just to see Vin Diesel flex his muscles?I thought they went to see Paul Walker?

Serenity
07-16-2007, 06:12 PM
I thought they went to see Paul Walker?

AND Vin Diesel. :D

I enjoyed Fast and the Furious. I like cool cars. I like fast cars. I like Vin and Paul. For me, the movie rocked on those levels.

Perks
05-30-2008, 04:56 PM
Just finally saw this and must say that it kicked ten kinds of ass.

Really had a great time with this one. My only complaint is that it was a good bit too long.

GreenFriend
05-31-2008, 06:06 AM
Mojo rocks!

childeroland
05-31-2008, 07:13 AM
I could have done without the pulling of the heartstrings when Bumblebee gets tortured, but otherwise pretty good.

Wish Bay would change his mind about not putting Dinobots in the next one.