A Thousand Splendid Suns, by Khaled Hosseini

Mud Dauber

writing on the wall
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Just... wow.

This book took a little longer for me to get into than The Kite Runner, but that might be due to circumstances out of my control (I was on vacation with my in-laws while I read it... distractions galore:tongue ). I don't even have words for a proper review, so I'll just say that I was incredibly moved, and that the ending--the very last sentence--had me in tears for a good fifteen minutes after I closed the book. I wish I could write an ending like that.

Anyone else read it? What did you think?

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I've been thinking about getting it, you just sold me.

I'll be back.... ;)

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Picked it up yesterday, putting Elmore Leonard's La Brava on hold.... ;)

Mud Dauber

writing on the wall
Registered
Reaction score
Hang in there with the somewhat slow beginning. If you're a Kite Runner fan (like me), it might take some time to get comfortable with the duo (or is it dual?:e2shrug: ) third person POVs. But this is one of those books where once it's done you realize how much you grew to love and care about the characters.:) In fact, I'm jealous that you're just starting it... I already miss Miriam and Laila something awful.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bumping. Just started Part Four last night.

I got into it right away, perhaps because I finished The Kite Runner a short time ago. And the multiple POVs don't bother me at all, especially since he does it so well.

Anyway, be back soon, nearly done....

...and just finished it.

WOW is right. I too teared up at the ending. My gawd....

The much ballyhoo'd Sophomore Jinx passed Mr. Hosseini right by. This novel is even better than The Kite Runner, and TKR was a wonderful book.

Every selfish, spoiled, text-messaging cellphone addicted brat in the western world who whines about their parents not giving them enough airtime should be made to read this incredible book.

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I am wary that this book would be too depressing for me. TKR had me in choked up at places. From the synopsis, I'm not sure if I could read ATSS. But it gets to show that sometimes good things are worth the wait...

Mud Dauber

writing on the wall
Registered
Reaction score
Every selfish, spoiled, text-messaging cellphone addicted brat in the western world who whines about their parents not giving them enough airtime should be made to read this incredible book.

^High-five me on that one, ChunkyC!:D^

Glad to hear you enjoyed it as much as TKR. I tell ya, after I read ATSS (and cried), I had to rustle up some chicklit to balance the heaviness and sadness I felt from his book. I think Khaled Hosseini is a phenomenal storyteller. No Sophomore Jinx on him... no siree!

crashbam

Registered
Reaction score
I absolutely loved this book too! Finished it during a one day, round trip plane ride. I couldn't put it down.

I thought I might be exaggerating how great it was, but then I gave it to my wife and she couldn't put it down either. He's a fantastic writer. I envy and admire his skill!

FYI: I just reread The Great Gatsby and had a similar feeling. Totally different book, but also so skillfully structured.

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
"A Thousand Splendid Suns" was one of the top 10 books I have read in the last 10 years (spanning the time I've been a heavy reader), which is a lot of books.

Hosseini's writing is amazing. They way he can turn a simple thing like a child aflight as she is being tossed into the air by her father into a page length experience is extraordinary.

The uplifting ending is true to the course of the story, although much of the novel is extremely depressing. With that, the novel itself is uplifting and I have to say that I feel changed by it. I highly recommend it.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Ah man! I went to the library last night to get more audio books (I listen to them to and from work since I have a long commute). I saw this there, and picked it up, then opted for soemthing else. After reading all of this, it looks like I made a mistake! I'll have to go back and get it.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I just ordered it on Amazon, after a friend couldn't stop going on about it yesterday. I haven't read The Kite Runner yet; I actually bought it for someone so I'd get to read it when she finishes, but I don't think she's read it yet!

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
A Thousand Splendid Suns

I just finished Khaled Hosseini's second novel and I think it's better than The Kite Runner. I hadn't planned to read ATSS at all but received it as a birthday present (from a friend who wants to borrow it when I've finished). I found it somewhat better written than his first, although I do see Hosseini as more of a storyteller than a writer.

I found the story relevant (given the current political climate) and was fascinated and appalled by the women's perspective. I think Hosseini did a wonderful job getting into the women's heads and really seeing Afghanistan through their eyes.

Anyone else have thoughts about this moving novel (yes, I cried)?

Mud Dauber

writing on the wall
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I definitely cried. ATSS was one of those books where the ending really got to me. Here's the discussion from this past summer with a couple of us who've read it:

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
This book is in my top ten. :Thumbs: Mud Dauber referred this book to me even though I didn’t read The Kite Runner. I cried throughout the book and my heart ached for the women, especially Mariam.

SPOILER:
Mariam’s father brushed her off, she was given to an abusive husband, treated like garbage and didn’t get the opportunity to say good-bye to her father - heartbreaking. I hoped she wouldn’t die, that they would turn their cheeks and let her go. When she died, part of the story died with her.

Hosseini did a great job writing from a woman’s POV. Through vivid description, he detailed the destruction of war, which showed me, an American, the freedom that we sometimes take for granted.

Excellent book!

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I also found it a very vivid and plausible rendering of a woman's perspective (multiple women, in this case) under such hard-to-fathom conditions. I thought it was a terrific book and I'm pretty sure I cried too.

(I cry all the time - for the worthy and the un, so it's hard to keep track.)

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this one, although "enjoy" is a difficult word to apply to a book with so many heartwrenching events. It was incredible to me how the modern world (complete with Titanic memorabilia) and this ancient way of denigrating women could co-exist. The ending was truly wrenching.

JBI

Banned
Reaction score
Meh, a light period piece that plays on our prejudices of Afghanistan to invoke a fake sympathy in our bored lives. The book deviates too far from emotional realism to provide an accurate portrayal of the times, or the characters.