First Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

macalicious731

I'm trying to track down a hardcover copy of one of my favorite books, which is no longer printed in hardcover.

In searching, I've come across some terms I'm hoping some of you may be able to clarify for me:

"Hardback w/ dust jacket, 1993 1st ed, not a remainder" as well as "remainer mark" (which I'm assuming is 'remainder mark').

Also, this abbreviation is giving me some trouble, but it may just be seller terminology: F/NF

As a side note, might anyone be able to explain what it means to have a library-bound book?

Thanks a lot!

maestrowork

I don't know what remainder means, or what specifically "library-bound" books are different than regular stitched binding of a hardcover book...

But F/NF means Fiction/Non-Fiction.

katdad

The term "remainder" means a book that's not been sold (usually due to overstock) and is therefore scheduled to be returned to the publisher for shredding or whatever.

I don't know a lot about book collecting so I don't know why this might lower its value, but apparently it does.

Paperbacks that are remaindered have their covers torn off and only the covers are shipped back, for inventory purposes. Hardbacks are marked "remainder" and shipped back intact. I guess it has to do with recycling.

The cover-less paperbacks are supposed to be either donated to hospitals and old folks' homes and so on, or trashed. They are not supposed to be sold, even as used. This is to protect royalties from being lost. You often see such notices inside paperbacks, on the history page or inside title/copyright page.

Library bound -- remember those hardback books you see in the libraries with the clear vinyl or acrylic overlay covers and heavy pasteboard fronts & backs? Those are "library bindings". They are less expensive that regular "bookstore" hardbacks and the binding is of a lower quality. The "library bindings" are essentially the same type of issue as book club editions. The page stock isn't trimmed or polished either on the sides, leaving irregular page edges. Whereas full-fledged "bookstore" editions are trimmed and shaved for smooth stacked page edges.

katdad

By the way, I already have my own most-desired first edition.

"Ulysses" by James Joyce, Shakespeare & Co., Paris. 1927 1st edition, 10th printing.

Got it at a garage sale. Cost me a whole twenty bucks. (heh, heh)

macalicious731

Thanks, Katdad. That explains the library.

But F/NF means Fiction/Non-Fiction.

Whoops, I probably should have been able to figure that one out on my own! Anyway, I guess I was surprised they were classifying.

Jules Hall

I thought remaindering was something different from stripping & returning. My idea of it is that it is what happens when the publisher realises they've overprinted and sell the books at a higher-than-normal discount in order to attempt to shift more copies.

I've no idea what a "remainder mark" is, though. Although I did buy a book a few years back that had a notch cut out of one side, which the person selling it to me told me had been done to enable it to be sold at a discount (this was in the era of the UK's net book agreement, which meant that no good condition book could be sold at anything over than the cover price).

Writing Again

I thought remaindering was something different from stripping & returning. My idea of it is that it is what happens when the publisher realises they've overprinted and sell the books at a higher-than-normal discount in order to attempt to shift more copies.

This was my idea also.

Jamesaritchie

Remaindered books are those placed on the remainder table and sold at a huge discount, often no more than a dollar or two for a hardcover. It's a way for publishers to say, "We're getting rid of your books, no matter how."

Kate Nepveu

A lot of times remaindered books have marker-dabs on the top or bottom of the pages' edges (so, if you're holding the book closed, looking at the cover, and then turn it towards you or away from you, you see the mark).

F/NF means "fine/near-fine."

dogbert.abebooks.com/docs...ndex.shtml

notsosweet

By the way, I already have my own most-desired first edition. "Ulysses" by James Joyce, Shakespeare & Co., Paris. 1927 1st edition, 10th printing.

Katdad, you got a good deal if you found that for $20. Your book is worth about $350.

macalicious, Kate's right. F/NF means Fine/Near Fine. I collect, so I run into these terms quite a bit.

katdad

Katdad, you got a good deal if you found that for $20. Your book is worth about $350.

More like $1k.

And I didn't 'splain remaindering properly. I had meant to describe the bargain table thing as well. Whatever, it means that the books are set for discount or recyling because they didn't sell at the normal rate.

macalicious731

Okay, sounds great everyone. Since I've found one that's not a remainder, it shouldn't have any other marks on it except for some wear and tear.

Thanks a lot, everyone!

James D Macdonald

Fine/Near-fine is grading of the quality of the physical object.

Gala

Remainders

If you buy novels from Barnes and Noble's bargain area, you are most likely purchasing a remainder. And the author isn't getting royalties.

Those books are likely bought in bulk from a distributor or seller.

Some publishers and writers nearly come to violence on this matter, because it is so "against the author."

Be advised that in some views buying a remainder is considered going against authors who jsut want a buck for an honest day's work.

May your works never be remaindered.

pookel

F/NF means the book is Fine, the dustjacket is Near Fine.

To a layman, a book that's been professionally graded as "Fine" is in nearly new condition. There is nothing visibly wrong with it; it looks like it may have been read once or twice.

"Near Fine" is usually synonymous with "Very Good" and is one step down. It might have one or two minor flaws, and it doesn't look new, but the dustjacket isn't ripped or creased or visibly worn.

But that's professional book dealers. An amateur might grade a lesser book "fine" mistakenly. It's hard to judge, with online sellers, how well they know what they're doing.

Jamesaritchie

Re: Remainders

I have decicedly mixed emotions about remainders. I think they can be bad for the author, but I know from experience they can also be good for the author.

I had a novel remaindered, and so many people bought the remainders, wrote me letters about it, and then went on to buy my next novel, that having that book remaindered turned out to be a very good thing for me. In trading royalties for more readers, I came out way ahead.

A lot fewer novels would be remaindered if we'd go back to the old inventroy tax laws for publishers, but I don't see this happening anytime soon.

What should publishers do with a glut of novels that aren't going to sell anytime soon? It's easy to say they shouldn't print so many, but this can cause problems, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.