PDA

View Full Version : The Gentrified Bartender

Redpen1966
07-02-2007, 02:35 AM
I'm working on a scene where I have a number of people in a pre-dinner situation and I have no idea what some of them would be drinking. I don't drink myself, so anything more than a ballpark guess I need help for.

The ones I need are in red.

Setting: Boston, MA 2005, early April, 6:30 pm A "Brahmin" estate

The Cast: (I'll just use initials at this point)

PML II: This is his home. Financier, 60-65, very socially groomed.

EL: Lady "of the manor." 60-65, she is refined, elegant, debuted at 16 and all that jazz.

(P)ML III: Eldest son, only son. FBI Agent 12 years. Scotch (and soda ususally, but not in this scene... he's the main "stressee") preference.

AL: 2 yrs younger than ML III, only daughter. Brahmin but is getting married to a master cabinet-maker... social polish is not so polished anymore. Her wedding is in two days.

The other characters in the scene are the property of my co-author, so she probably already knows their "usuals."

I sure would appreciate any help! Thanks.:Sun:

gerrydodge
07-02-2007, 02:40 AM
Financier: Martini--good gin or bourbon--straight or on the rocks

Elegant lady: wine or a martini--good gin very good wine (probably white)

I hope that helps.

P.S. Start drinking: bad for the liver but good for the soul

Redpen1966
07-02-2007, 02:43 AM
It does indeed help... lol, I don't know why a martini never occurred to me. But a gin or bourbon works just as well. One of the other characters is a bourbon man.

Hmmm.... question: would this undoubtedly well-stocked bar include rum? In Boston? One of the other characters has that as his preference.

gerrydodge
07-02-2007, 02:45 AM
Of course, a well stocked bar has EVERYTHING except Budweiser--just kidding. Gin is the liquor that goes into a martini but also vodka. Gin was the original martini: gin, vermouth, either a twist of lemon or an olive or two.

alleycat
07-02-2007, 02:51 AM
Some suggestions:

PML II: A single malt Scotch or a brandy

EL: White wine

ML III: A Long Island Tea (which isn't tea at all), or even a beer

AL: Some kind of trendy drink, or maybe a Margarita, or a Daiquiri

Of course, if you want to keep it simple, just have them all drink wine or beer (for the son).

Siddow
07-02-2007, 05:07 AM
In the last bar I worked in, all the moneyed 60-something guys drank either scotch or a Canadian whisky, with a splash of either water or soda. Seriously, they were weird. Like a club. They'd all come in on their way from the golf course to their boats. Great tippers.

Wine is always an elegant choice for the lady, or you could give her something like a Mint Julep or a Mohito. Or even something very simple like a vodka tonic. I had a set of twins in their 60's who came in all the time and drank vodka tonics, and they always sipped half of it, then asked me to top them off with more tonic. Ya know, so they wouldn't get plastered.

For the young, almost-married gal who's fallen from her social graces? Tequila shots. Definitly! On the sly, sidled up next to the handsome bartender. Or Rumplemintz on the rocks.

I miss the bar. Sigh.

Redpen1966
07-02-2007, 07:21 AM
In the last bar I worked in, all the moneyed 60-something guys drank either scotch or a Canadian whisky, with a splash of either water or soda. Seriously, they were weird. Like a club. They'd all come in on their way from the golf course to their boats. Great tippers.

LOL - that'd be my Brahmin. Thanks! And the vodka tonic works for the mother as well. The daughter isn't THATfar from "grace" - the guy she's marrying has the net worth, just not the highbrow factor. And this is a stress situation... maybe we'll give Anne a Long Island. :D

Redpen1966
07-02-2007, 07:27 AM
lol - or not... I just found out what's in it... might be good for the son, though

Thanks all!!!

CatSlave
07-02-2007, 07:55 AM
Gentleman: Stolichnaya or Grey Goose vodka on ice (in a chunky crystal rocks glass) with a splash of seltzer and a twist. Best if the vodka is stored in the freezer, Russian style, which makes it incredibly silky smooth. A Russian would drink this neat -no ice- from a small cordial glass in between bites of hors d'oeuvres. Never drink vodka this way without food, it just isn't done.

Or a single-malt scotch on the rocks (chunky crystal rocks glass). Glenlivet brand is good. He can also add a splash of Evian water, if you want to fiddle with the drink a little bit.

Lady: Kir - a splash of blackberry brandy in a wineglass topped off with white wine, usually served as an aperitif before meals.

Or, you can never go wrong with Champagne. :)

*Na zdorovje*
to your health

waylander
07-02-2007, 02:34 PM
Seems early in the evening for people to be drinking Scotch. Definitely an after dinner drink in England. Is no-one drinking sherry as an aperitif anymore?

alleycat
07-02-2007, 03:25 PM
Definitely an after dinner drink in England. Is no-one drinking sherry as an aperitif anymore?
Probably not in Boston.

;-)