PDA

View Full Version : BtVS Season 8

katiemac
07-02-2007, 01:50 AM
I wanted to put this thread here instead of comics, because I think it makes a little more sense.

But ... is anyone else reading Joss's season 8 comic? Any thoughts on it so far?

ChaosTitan
07-02-2007, 03:08 AM
Such a thing exists? :eek:

I must learn more....

jvc
07-02-2007, 03:13 AM
Hey Kelly we're being invaded by the comics :) . I haven't read these comics, have to go look down the shop tommorrow to see if they have any in stock.

katiemac
07-02-2007, 03:17 AM
The first one came out in March, there's four issues so far. They're taking a break in July and coming back in August ... Picks up from where season 7 ended, and Joss is writing the storyline.

You can preview the first couple of pages here (http://www.darkhorse.com/profile/preview.php?theid=14-111).

I've ordered a couple online, and bought the others at Newbury Comics. So ... hurry up and buy them, cause I need to discuss it!

Jay Byrne
07-02-2007, 03:18 AM
BtVS?

jvc
07-02-2007, 03:42 AM
Buffy the vampire singer

ChaosTitan
07-02-2007, 03:52 AM
Buffy the vampire singer

:ROFL:

SLAYER!

No cookies for you!

jvc
07-02-2007, 03:53 AM
I'll start singing, and you don't want that :D .

Jay Byrne
07-02-2007, 03:57 AM
Buffy the vampire singer
Ahh, righto.

Cheers.

Dawno
07-02-2007, 04:00 AM
I subscribe to them via TFAW.com so they come in the mail about the same time they show up in the stores.

I'm enjoying the series but have one complaint - they're too short! Buffy was an hour long show and each comic gives me about 5 minutes of reading with a one month gap between episodes. Oh well.

katiemac
07-02-2007, 04:08 AM
I subscribe to them via TFAW.com so they come in the mail about the same time they show up in the stores.

I did that at first, but then I ended up with a variant cover. And while it shouldn't matter, it bugged me that they didn't all have the same look.

And yeah -- I'll agree on the too short!

ChaosTitan
07-02-2007, 04:08 AM
I'm so curious about these comics. We got a very vague glimpse of the Scoobies lives post-Buffy during the fifth season of Angel, but I need more!

*counts pennies*

katiemac
07-02-2007, 04:19 AM
We got a very vague glimpse of the Scoobies lives post-Buffy during the fifth season of Angel, but I need more!

Don't believe what you see!

Actually, I never finished watching Angel when it aired originally. I'm in the middle of season 5 now, for the first time.

ChaosTitan
07-02-2007, 04:23 AM
Oooooh, enjoy it. Have you seen "Smile Time" yet? Best episode of the season, along with "A Hole In The World" (<---but that's because I hate Fred).

Dawno
07-02-2007, 04:31 AM
You...you...hate Fred??? oh dear. I won't hold it against you - difficult as that may be.

jvc
07-02-2007, 04:36 AM
Don't believe what you see!

Actually, I never finished watching Angel when it aired originally. I'm in the middle of season 5 now, for the first time.
I kept missing shows and found it difficult to follow because of it. I think it's back on one of the cable channels so may give it another go.

Dawno
07-02-2007, 04:39 AM
This is so funny, there's only one non-mod posting here. :D

jvc
07-02-2007, 04:41 AM
Oooooh, just noticed that :) .

Serenity
07-02-2007, 04:43 AM
But I'm reading... does that count?

Guess I'm posting now, though. :D

I'd heard a little bit about the comics a while back, hence I get the "don't believe what you saw in Angel" reference. I just haven't seen them anywhere. I'll have to check out Borders next time I'm there.

Dawno
07-02-2007, 04:49 AM
Glad you came out of lurking, Serenity. :)

Do stores like Borders and B&N carry the monthly episodic comics? All I've seen are the compilations of say, a whole year or more's worth of stories and things written as graphic novels - but maybe I wasn't looking at the right place in the store.

Serenity
07-02-2007, 04:53 AM
Borders did when I used to work there, I honestly don't know if they still do or not. The Borders Express that you find in malls and stuff doesn't, I know.

ChaosTitan
07-02-2007, 05:44 AM
Our local Borders has a rack for the monthly titles. It's over by the magazines.

katiemac
07-02-2007, 06:32 AM
I think if you check out Dark Horse's website, they'll give you a list of stores in your area selling them.

Oooooh, enjoy it. Have you seen "Smile Time" yet? Best episode of the season, along with "A Hole In The World" (<---but that's because I hate Fred).

"Smile Time" is coming up soon. I stopped watching after season 3, I think, because I hated that he fell for Cordelia. Then, I caught random episodes of 4 and the Cordelia/Connor thing squicked me way too much to keep interest.

So far I'm pleasantly enjoying 5. Alexis Denisof looks way better than I remember. I always liked Fred, though, although I was spoiled on what happens with her. But, Spike!

katiemac
07-16-2007, 07:45 AM
Angel's getting its own 12-issue season 6. Joss Whedon is plotting, but not writing, it.

ChaosTitan
07-16-2007, 06:26 PM
:hooray: Yay!

It's funny you should resurrect this thread. I was at a SFF con this weekend, and found the first three issues of Buffy Season 8. :D Haven't read them all yet, but I scooped those puppies up.

Now if only we could get Firefly, Season 2 in comic form. ;)

katiemac
07-16-2007, 10:15 PM
Now if only we could get Firefly, Season 2 in comic form. ;)

I think that's a go, too. I saw a piece of news on it but didn't look into 'cause I haven't seen Firefly yet. But I've got plans to go through the season with a friend of mine this fall, since we won't have Lost to watch until the spring.

I read Joss wants the Angel comic to follow much of what would have been the true season six, what he was planning before they got the axe. Which is neat, because the teeny rumors I heard sounded pretty damn cool.

DeadlyAccurate
07-17-2007, 08:30 PM
I've read the first four, but I don't like them. I think it's my lack of experience with comics in general; I can't tell what's going on. It's like reading a book where 90% of it has been torn out, leaving me to deduce what's happening based on the remaining 10%.

ChaosTitan
07-17-2007, 08:52 PM
Reading comic books/graphic novels can be disorienting when you aren't used to the format. A good friend of mine (and fellow Whedon-ite) made a similar comment when she saw the comics.

So much of what we expect from books and films in terms of exposition, action and scene-setting must be interpreted from the panel art. Good artists can hide a plethora of information inside of a single panel. Bad artists can leave you wanting.

The comics do lack the flare that actors bring to the table, but I can still hear the voices of Sarah, Nicolas, Michelle and the others when I read. Of course, I've been reading comics for the last fifteen years. It is experience and reading preference, but if this is the format from which I receive Season Eight, I'm so there.

ChaosTitan
08-28-2007, 08:30 PM
Found some fun Season Eight news.

http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/TVGuide-News-Blog/Tv-Guide-News/Exclusive-New-Buffy/800021141

Issue six will revive a Faith-centered storyline that was originally intended as a Movie of the Week. The theme of the arc revolves around the question: Who do you get to slay a Slayer?

I love Faith, so I can't wait for this.

Sage
08-29-2007, 05:28 AM
I haven't been able to find the first few issues of this, but my roomie says she'll look for them while she's at D*C. My friend who first turned me on to Buffy (as in, she made me watch the encore of the pilot & I was hooked b4 ep 2) promises me that they are good. I glanced through an earlier Buffy comic, but had trouble telling Xander from Giles from Riley, & gave up. Since Riley is gone & Xander has an eye patch, not going to be an issue this time, even if they're drawn the same. But I thought the art looked better on these so I'm hoping for the best. It'd be nice if they came in graphic novel form, so that the issues w/ one storyline (or episode) all were together.

And I, too, am excited that we'll get a Faith storyline.

Sage
09-13-2007, 05:53 AM
Finally got these. Buffy's drawn a little strangely, but overall pretty good. We'll have to see how it progresses. She also got me a "Spike" comic where Spike is a puppet! Can't wait for that (i already see that Spike is drawn very well).