PDA

View Full Version : Inspiring "new author" NPR interview w/Jon Clinch today

Susan B
07-01-2007, 08:17 PM
I just heard a great interview with new author Jon Clinch on NPR Sunday "Weekend Edition" today. Nothing surprising, maybe, to AW readers, but inspiring to hear.

He's written a highly acclaimed first novel called "Finn"--a dark tale about Huck Finn's father, mentioned only briefly by Mark Twain. Just published by Random House.

It's his first published novel--but preceeded by the five other unpublished novels he wrote in the last 12 years. He'd had a successful career in advertising, but wanted to do something "more creative" and found he had some free time, when his daughter started high school.

He compares writing a book to "building a house with raisins"!

Got his agent, Jeff Kleinman, when he post a few pages on "Backspace" and wanted some feedback.

Here is the link to the interview:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11640174

Susan

barleybree
07-02-2007, 01:04 AM
Yes, I've heard of (and seen) this novel in bookstores. Now I'm really confused! I was invited to submit to Bruce Bortz (Bancroft Press) and he claims that he published Finn. At least that's what I make out from his website. What's up with that? Now I'm nervous! And yes, I've already read the link about him here!

gerrydodge
07-02-2007, 02:05 AM
FINN is a fine novel. As far as I know, Bancroft Press never had this book. Will Murphy, at Random House, bought it at auction. Jon Clinch is a member of AW, so you could probably email him and ask if what Bruce Bortz said is true.
Gerry

barleybree
07-02-2007, 02:31 AM
Thanks for the suggestion Gerry,

I should clearify my earlier post. I assumed, (know the ole saying bout that word!) that Bancroft claimed publication because it is listed in their Youth (fiction) Catalogue and can be ordered from Bancroft. Maybe I'm just confused, which is easily done!

gerrydodge
07-02-2007, 02:33 AM
That, as my uncle used to say, is a different kettle of fish.
Gerry

barleybree
07-02-2007, 02:34 AM
How can I contact Jon?

gerrydodge
07-02-2007, 02:37 AM
How can I contact Jon?

You would only have to go to search, at the top, and then write his name. Once you open his profile, you can contact him from there. It may be a while before he writes, but he will write. He is a very nice man! Also, he will be in Hartford, Conn I think the 24th to talk about his book at the Mark Twain estate.

Oh, read the book. The best book I've read in many moons.

barleybree
07-02-2007, 02:46 AM
Thanks again, Gerry! I'd love a reason to take a trip to Conn. The book does sound very good.

Susan B
07-03-2007, 02:35 AM
Great to know he's on AW! Thanks for adding that information!

Susan