Help! need to choose between two agents

wombat

wombats galore
Registered
Reaction score
Website
animalsbehavingbadly.blogspot.com
This is unbelievable after many years of rejections, but I've just got offers from both of these agents to represent a mystery I have written:

Ellen Pepus:
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29253
and Prospect Agency, Emily Sylvan Kim: ARGH, there is a thread, but I can't get the link to work no matter how I edit it... sorry

I spoke to Pepus on the phone on Thursday. I had a really good feeling about her. I still had the ms. out to Prospect and emailed to ask if she was still interested and she asked me to give her till Monday. I just got an email from her and she is also very enthusiastic. I have not spoken to her yet.

They are both new agencies but Kim seems to have more of a track record. I don't think I can make a decision till I speak to her on the phone also - I mean, this is a very personal kind of business relationship and I should feel comfortable with her, right?

But otherwise I am so freaked out I can't think straight and would love to have any feedback you guys could give me.

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say definitely talk to Emily Kim to see if there's a good connection there. And then, if you write in genres other than the book they both want to represent, ask them each if they'd want to continue to represent you with anything you want to write.

Other than that, it's AWESOME that you've got TWO offers!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
:PartySmil :partyguy:
:TheWave:

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
That's a problem we all wish we had, do the research and trust your gut....congrats... Thats great..

Susan B

Accordion Dreams
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairkilpatrick.com
Congratulations!! Great news!

Yes, definitely have phone conversations with both, you'd be surprised how quickly you can get a sense either way.

Susan

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great news. Congratulations.

mysterygrl

Registered
Reaction score
Very cool!

One thing I highly recommend: After talking with both agents--and asking all those important questions--talk to a couple of their clients.

Reactions: capricornair

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations!

As others have said, phone conversations with them and with their clients (and if they're good, they'll give you a couple of client names and/or e-mail addys) will give you a sense of which way to go. Good luck!

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Publishers Marketplace lists seven books sold by Emily Sylvan Kim since December 2005. Five are Fiction/Women's Romance and two are Children/Young Adult. You state that your book is a mystery--does it have any romance elements? Or she may be trying to branch out.

Ellen Pepus has no deals listed, but PM deals are self-reported by agents--there are well-established agents who do not post there, so it shouldn't be taken as meaning she has no sales.

I think the advice already given that you should talk to them both is excellent. You may find more rapport with one than the other, and that is a big factor.

wombat

wombats galore
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Pepus is very new and it might be right that she has not yet sold a book on her own. I haven't pressed her on it yet. When I was assuming she was my only offer I decided I didn't care - after all, everyone has to sell their first book sometime, and it means she'll really be on fire to sell something, right?

Here's the thing: If one agent has sold nothing or next to nothing, and the other has sold seven books not in my genre... Does seven trump nothing automatically? Or can the 'rapport' thing override the numbers? They are both pretty new - it's not like I'm choosing between the biggest agent in New York and someone who's just starting - so I am not sure what to make of the numbers at this level.

I suppose I should ask both of them if they have a plan - have they already thought of publishers or editors to approach. I hope that will give some idea of what they know about selling the genre even if they haven't previously put that knowledge into action.

Also, I have realized - I don't know what I would ask any of their clients. I mean, I'm assuming they will say nice things because if they didn't like their agent, they'd get a new one - so what would I learn? What do youall think I should ask?

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Also, I have realized - I don't know what I would ask any of their clients. I mean, I'm assuming they will say nice things because if they didn't like their agent, they'd get a new one - so what would I learn? What do youall think I should ask?
I would ask, how easy is it to communicate with her? Does she answer your questions adequately? Does she reply in a timely manner to emails? Does she keep you informed of who she's submitted to? (My agent not only kept me informed about who she submitted to, she informed me of their replies within a day of receiving them)

Did she help you with getting the ms in the best shape possible, if that was warranted? (Does she have any editing experience, and do you feel your ms could use some polishing before submittal)

Most important, did she sell your book?

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
CONGRATS!!!
I agree with everyone else on this. I would have a phone conversation with both people, and see how it goes.

MissLadyRae

I vaahnt to suck your blaahd
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh! To have this dilemma! :)

Just chiming in to give my congrats! Let us know how it goes!

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
There are several questions to ask at this point.
Does the agent have publishing contacts, do they have a client list, have they made sales?
This is when a PM subscription is worth its weight in gold.
Many times on Agentquery.com you can find out which agency an agent came from as this can also indicate experience and possible publishing contacts.
I know it is exciting to get offers of representation but it is crucial to think carefully at this point. You want someone who has a clear idea of where and when they would submit your book. I would not worry so much that the sales did not match exactly your genre- it could be the agent (like you say) is branching out or has had specific requests from editors for your type of book.
Hope this helps

wombat

wombats galore
Registered
Reaction score
Website
it is crucial to think carefully at this point.

I know, and all I can think is things like "I have to call that agent now and take notes... where is my lucky pen???"

I really appreciate all of your feedback and congratulations - I will keep youall posted.