Protective/private

Status
Not open for further replies.

maestrowork

I've found that most writers (and I say "most," not all) I've talked to are very private/protective about who their agents are.

Just curious. Why is that?

SRHowen

Re: privacy

And most of us have learned the hard way when our agent gets tons of letters saying we recommended them to so and so. And we also get nasty e-mail if someone manages to dig up some dirt on said agents, even if the dirt isn't true. Why people do this i have no idea.

And the truth is I have recommend people to my agent. But only if their writing blew me as an editor off the planet.

Shawn

maestrowork

I suspected that Shawn's answer is true. I still wonder though, why it's just writers? I mean actors tell each other who their agents are ALL the time (and such information is easy to find -- all you have to do is look up the SAG directory). In the corporate world, we are not squirmish about telling people who we work for and that my boss' name is Joe Jerk at XYZ, inc.

I personally think it's interesting.

Gala

privacy and protection

It's not secretiveness. It's business smarts, as Shawn has explained.

Writing business is miles different than acting and corp life. I've been involved with actors (playing in the pit) and yeah they love to talk...but not so much when Spielberg calls.

Writing is a lonely art, introverted unlike acting and corp. I don't often mind bragging about who I audition for on violin, because there's more than one violinist needed and if they want to go for it, fine. Auditions are public knowledge, usually.

Also depends on who ya tell. I was hesitant to name my Microsoft bosses, co-workers and business unit to wanna bes. "How'd you get in??" But I also gave many many people good contacts...and most of those people didn't follow through, or squandered opportunities I set up for them. Weird.

I've no problem sharing solid info with people who respect boundaries. I share my writing contracts and agreements with serious proven writers I trust. Very few live ones in that group.

Maestro, I'm sorry to say I've seen a kind of jealousy among writers I've never seen in any career or art I've been involved in. What a shocker...the gossip, backbiting, "he submitted and they said make a few changes and he said he couldn't for ethical reasons yeah right his book is crap and he can't get published after 17 novels..." (true story.) I'm sure the protective aspect is prudent for those reasons.

Everyone thinks they can write. If they just had time.

Not everyone thinks they can act, work in a fortune 500 company, or play the violin.

Last night I shared a big writing success with a person in a volunteer org, Christmas party. She'd asked, "How's the writing going?" You know.

She's a writer, but not much published, that's fine. It takes time. She congratulated me, but her eyes weren't in it. They were darting, they were almost angry...and I didn't dare tell her the best part; as it was I toned down my success. I hate it when I do that! What a pity for her though, her insecurity.There's enough success for everyone.

SRHowen

Re: privacy and protection

I think that's where the "your agent sucks" e-mails come from. They query, they say you recommended them (let me give you a clue, my agent always checks with me to see if I do know the persona dn if I told them to contact him)(second hint, if i am going to recommend you to my agent, I let him know that I've sent someone his way), agent rejects ms--they send angry e-mail to you saying your agent sucks and they found this and that out about them.

If someone says, hey I am an actor--do people say oh I've always wanted to act, or say oh yeah I have a great idea how to act? Rarely.

You say I work for Sperion (Dell Computers here in Austin) do people say oh yeah I always wanted to be a programmer. Nadda.

But say I am a writer or an editor--better have hip boots on cause here it comes by the dumper load. I always wanted to write a book. You know I wrote a short story once and so on.

People, by nature are story tellers and everyone always thinks their story is the best so how dare someone have an agent or a publisher that isn't them.

Shawn

maestrowork

If someone says, hey I am an actor--do people say oh I've always wanted to act, or say oh yeah I have a great idea how to act? Rarely.

:rollin Actually, I've heard that plenty. People think just because they were in a high school play or that they're kind of attractive that they should be actors.

I never minded telling people who my agent was. I think the difference is that when you go into an interview with a talent agent, it doesn't matter who you know -- you're on your own. Just because you're Tom Cruise's cousin doesn't guarantee representation, and everyone knows that. So you seldom gets that "your agent sucks" email or phone call. And my agents had interviews all the time. So whether it was Joe Blow from the street or someone who claimed to know me, didn't matter to him.

Also, the difference between a talent agent and a literary agent may be: a talent agent would reject you, but also tell you to get some acting lessons and maybe call them again in six months. A literary agent might just reject you... "and don't write back."

p.s. I did have someone call me and said, "I've always wanted to work with computers. Can you hook me up with your employer..." Seriously. So I know what's it like....

Gala

Good one, SRH! No one has ever said, "Oh I always wanted to play Beethoven's Eroica". Usually it's, "I played in 4th grade and realized it wasn't for me."

I don't tell people what I earn either, I send them to the library, monster.com or AW, or make general comments, "enough to pay for my cat's shots with a little left over for coffee budget."

:eek

otoh, some of the greats do disclose their agents or personal publishing contacts, and dedicate books to them. Like Steinbeck whose contact became best friend.

vstrauss

>>I still wonder though, why it's just writers? I mean actors tell each other who their agents are ALL the time<<

If we're having a conversation and you ask me who my agent is, of course I'll tell you. I'm just not going to post it on a public message board, for the reasons Shawn mentioned.

- Victoria

maestrowork

Victoria, but I'm saying about writers who I talk to, as in having a conversation with. Writers I know, and who knows that I'm not some wackjob. Granted, like I said, there are writers who don't mind... and I'm not even asking for a referral. :)

preyer

i... could have... BEEN... the next... will... yem SHATner!!

or so i take it when an older woman at work once told me, 'you know, you're pretty enough to be an actor on a soap opera.'

gee, thanks. i think.

i'd e-mailed a writer once and asked very politely who his agent was, but i understood if he didn't want to say. he wrote back the next day and told me, but rather made it sound as if he wasn't the best in the world as he now used a lawyer as an agent instead as he was now doing scripts. anyway, my single experience so far has been if you ask politely enough, they'll tell ya. i mean, honestly, how much stock does an agent put into statements like, 'so-and-so told me you were the guy to hook-up with'? not much, i'd think, especially in this cyberworld.

SRHowen

Like Victoria, I will tell anyone who asks, but no longer post it in public. Then it seems that they don't think I am offering them a boost in the door.

Shawn

Gala

well for some the fundamental may be as simple as personality. I'm assuming an actor is a bit of an extrovert, or an introvert who has developed extrovertism.

some folks will tell anyone anything any time. and the grays in between that and one who stays incognito about everything.

business acumen may have nothing to do with it.

I'm personally just bored of explaining my life and my success to people. This too shall pass.

SimonSays

Maestro -

I've never experienced that in Hollywood - screenwriter's unwilling to divulge their agents. In fact if they've got a big one or are repped by a prestigious agency, they are more than happy to share that.

I agree with Shawn though, that it can make things uncomfortable. I won't refer someone to my agent unless I'm familiar with their work and I know it's good. If someone uses my name in the query simply because they know me, it can make things awkward on all ends. My agent will feel obligated to read it because the person knows me, and then I feel bad because my agent's wasting his time, and then the person feels slighted because my agent says 'no.' I only had that happen once, but it was really uncomfortable.

Jamesaritchie

Like victoria, I don't usually mind telling people who my agent is in private, but my agent simply does not need any new writer sending her queries. I made the mistake of telling someone online who my agent was a few years ago, and suddenly the writer I told was telling everyone he knew.

The way it works for me is this: If I know you, and read something you've written, and you ask, I will, if I like what you've written, call my agent and ask if she'd like to see it.

Sometimes she'll ask me to read a page or two over the phone, sometimes not.

But it simply isn;t the same as in Hollywood. There's no point in not telling someone who your agent is if asked because it can be looked up very quickly, and that agent isn't going to get deliged with new mail because of it.

katdad

My agent does not disclose the client list or name a specific client unless given permission by the author.

My agent is also reluctant to have her name generally out there, because she will be deluged by people who will use the author's name as a reference, without prior clearance.

To find my agent, a writer I know recommended me, but first he called the agency and checked with them. So they knew I would be querying them. And of course he'd read my stuff.

In the future, if a prospective writer comes to me and asks for a recommendation, I'd first want to read the stuff, and then if I thought it met the agency's categories, I'd ask my agent if she minded my giving out her name.

maestrowork

Some agents advise their clients to not read any unpublished work. An author friend of mine refused to read my samples because of that, even though she wanted to help. And because she couldn't read my work, she couldn't recommend me.

Jamesaritchie

Some agents advise their clients to not read any unpublished work. An author friend of mine refused to read my samples because of that, even though she wanted to help. And because she couldn't read my work, she couldn't recommend me.

I have a clause in my contract that says I can't read unpublished work sent to me by other writers. It isn't enforced, and is really one of those "just in case" clauses, but it's there.

But any writer should be very careful about who he recommends to his agent.

katdad

I have a clause in my contract that says I can't read unpublished work sent to me by other writers.
That's surprising. My contract makes no mention of this, and my agent's an AAR and Author's Guild signatory.

And my "angel" (a world renowned mystery writer) has gladly offered to read some of my first forays into mystery writing, and offered kind & helpful suggestions. I of course have no idea whether his own contract forbade this.

But I'll email him and ask him, just to find out, and let you know.

SRHowen

my contract also makes no mention of this. But it is an easy scape goat isn't it? My contract says I can't read your work.

And my agent is also an AAR member on their royalty board.

Shawn

Jamesaritchie

I know I replied to this post, but it's gone, or I just can't find it, so I'll reply again.

This isn't a standard clause, and I know maybe three or four or five other writers who have it in their contracts. It's just something my agent and I both thought a good idea.

It's there for two reasons. We thought it might help guard against those writers I've never heard of, but who insist on sending me things that show up in my e-mail or at my door. They then threaten a lawsuit if I write something that's even in the same genre.

It's also a very good way of saying "No" in those times when, for whatever reason, you really don't want to read someone's manuscript. I don't mind occasionally reading the work of a writer I know, but when someone I've just met shoves a 250,000 manuscript at me and says, "Will you please read this," I can truthfully say, "Sorry, my contract has a clause stating that I can't."

macalicious731

So James, just out of curiosity, would you be able to read unpublished work not specifically sent to you? Ie, something posted on the SYW board?

maestrowork

James brought up a good point, though.

[Please pardon the thread drift... but it's my thread, so I'm allowed... :) ]

What if you read someone's ms., and this person really is not very good, even a lousy writer, but he has a killer idea and a very good story? But he can't write if his life depends on it. What would you do?

a) tell him to take some time off, learn the craft, then come back and rewrite the fantastic story?

b) offer to work with him (as in co-authoring)?

c) offer to book doctor for him? Or ghost write for him for a good fee?

d) tell him to find a ghost writer?

e) tell a white lie and tell him to start submitting it?

The best way to avoid this situation is of course never read someone's ms unless it's someone you know who can write...

Gala

judging if others are worthy

this person really is not very good, even a lousy writer, but he has a killer idea and a very good story? But he can't write if his life depends on it.

The best way to avoid this situation is of course never read someone's ms unless it's someone you know who can write...

This must be very difficult for you as one who has set themselves up as able to critique other's work and moderates the SYW board.

Too often in history people have decided they know if others have talent. Often, these are teachers, editors and publishers, and idiots in critique groups. They're easy to spot because they thrive on gossiping about how terrible writers are. (and they usually have lit or eng degrees of some sort.)

But I digress. If a person loves any artistic endeavor, if they get joy from it, they can develop some craft.

I have read manuscripts that were rife with poor syntax, story dev, and boring plot. But I, yes lil' 'ol me, have the ability to see through all of that and have done so. I can often spot talent beneath those technical distractions. It it a good story? Ok. There's promise. If only some of the "good" writers out there had great stories.

If the writer is open to it, I give him editing tasks, and studying tasks. I don't lay everything on him at once; I give him enough to handle without overwhelming him. In one case I didn't hear from the person again (but money and time were also issues). In most cases the author thanks me and does the work. Homework separates the men from the boys.

Lawrence Block talks of a friend who quit his day job and announced he was going to write a novel. He alerted Block to talk to his agent. The writer sat down a typed a novel, a bad one. Larry suggested he pursue another career, an easier one...something like that.

The guy's second novel was better, but still not good.

Third novel was set for publication. There ya go.

Anyone who wants to write novels will do so, no matter what it takes, no matter what others tell them. Let them decide to give up--there are enough obstacles w/o being told they suck. Who needs that in life?

I'm trying to hide my anger here, and my anger has nothing to do with any of you. It is the unpublished novelists and writers, and the under-published novelists, who think they have some idea of what prospective novelists should do.

The ability to spot talent is far afield from the ability to write one's own novel, though for obvious reasons the two overlap.

Most agents, editors and publishers are not novelists (thank god) but they can spot the chemistry (often) of a good story teller who has craft potential.

I have more experience with those who think they know who's good and who isn't than I'd like, hence the soapbox. No one has every told me I'm anything but a good writer, but I've been told I wasn't "designed" for other careers in my youth...they were wrong wrong wrong.
---
I find it impossible to know what I'm dealing with unless I read a little of their work. Or do you suggest telepathy? ;)

Jamesaritchie

Re: judging if others are worthy

I have read manuscripts that were rife with poor syntax, story dev, and boring plot. But I, yes lil' 'ol me, have the ability to see through all of that and have done so. I can often spot talent beneath those technical distractions. It it a good story? Ok. There's promise. If only some of the "good" writers out there had great stories

So can I, when there's something worth spotting. Most of the time there isn't, and that's just the plain truth. I don't care if they get instrution from God, and spend the next forty years wandering around the desert, writing the whole way, the majority of wannabe writers out there are never going to see the promised land of publishdom.

I know all about the Lawrence Block story, and I've seen the same thing happen. And for every time I've seenit happen, I've seen a thousand times where it isn't ever going to happen.

And a surprising number of editors and agents are novelists, and thank God for it. They almost always make the best editors and agents, in my opinion. I've yet to work with a really good editor who wasn't also a writer of some sort, though I know there are some out there.

Being able to spot talent is what good editors do, and being able to spot the lack of it. I often can't tell whether or not a new writer will make it, but I can nearly always tell when he won't. Any good editor can. Efditors don't only spot talent amd potential talent, they also spot lack of talent and can see when a writer simply isn't going anywhere. You can't do one without being able to do the other.

I'm not sure you ever have to tell anyone they suck at writing, but doing so would be the kindest cut of all in many cases. Many who try writing do suck, and always will, the same as many who try any field. There's nothing kind about pretending everyone has the potential to succeed as a writer. It simply isn't true, and being able to spot talent and being able to write absolutely do go hand in hand.

And it's fine to help a new writer. I've tried to help quite a few. But there's a limit to the numbers I can help one on one, a very sharp limit, and there are many I simply can't help. And believe me, I can tell a writer with potential from one who simply isn't going to make it barring an act of God.

Status
Not open for further replies.