How do you keep track of submissions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
I was just thinking, it might be interesting to some writers here how other writers keep track of submissions. I've heard a lot of horror stories of people who don't keep track of them at all or are so disorganized that they don't remember who they've submitted to or, in some cases, even what they've submitted.

So I thought why not start a thread where we can tell others how we all keep track of our own submissions? I've found so much a wealth of information on these boards that many of the things I do now, I got the idea to do those things from other writers here.

So how do you keep track of your submissions?

I'll start off this thread by telling you all how I keep track of my short story subs.

---

I have a cork board above my typewriter stand. I post Index Cards on it using thumbtacks. On each card, I have one submitted piece. I give the title, the genre, and the word count, at the top of the card.

Then, underneath all that, I have three columns, left-to-right, which read:

Submitted, Accepted, Rejected.

Under the 'Submitted' line, I write in the company I've submitted the piece to. While waiting for a response, I keep the other two columns unmarked. When I get a response, I put either a checkmark or an 'x' in the slot corresponding to the response.

After I get one response and submit to another company, I list the second company underneath the first one. And I go down the card until there's no more room on that card. Then, I either use the back of the card or a different card altogether to continue keeping track of what I've submitted, to whom, and whether it's pending or has been responded to.

---

So what do you all do to keep track of your submissions? Do you have a similar system, or something entirely different?

I look forward to reading your responses.

:)

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
For my novel, I have a list of agents numbered. My dream agents are at the top, but after the first ten or so, the numbering system is pretty rough, and yes, somewhat random. For each agent, I have their name, email address, and what to send them. When I submit, I put a line underneath, saying the date I submitted. Also underneath the agent, I record their requests and rejections. If I have a query or initial submission under consideration, the agent is highlighted in green. If an agent has requested something, it's color coated gold. If I am rejected, the agent's name is highlighted in blue.

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
I have a notebook where I take notes for some of my WIP. In the back I have two pages for each of my two works that are in circulation with agents. There I list the agent and then write the date I sent the query and then I write the date and an X for rejection or a date and an O with a slash through it for partial sent or just an O for a full sent. It's worked so far...

Though, I have a horror story...One night, while preparing a query for the second book, I randomly sent out a query for the first to an agency and didn't record it. Two days later I got a full request...with no mention of which ms they wanted to see. I had several ours of stress before finally figuring out which query I'd sent so I could send the right ms. The moral of the story: always make sure to be organized...even when doing something on a whim.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
I have a word document with all the agents I like. They're arranged according to how much I like them, from five stars to two. The ones I haven't submitted to are pink. The ones I've submitted to and am waiting on (that's the worst sentence ever) are blue, with the date next to them that I queried them. The ones that rejected have the date I submitted and the date I was rejected, and are red.

It works fine for now, as I only have one ms in submission. It might get harder once I'm querying more than one.

drachin8

post-apocalyptic bunny
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I made an Excel spreadsheet for tracking my short story submissions. Each row contains the story title, the genre, the magazine it has been submitted to (one instance per row), the date submitted, the date I expect a response, the actual date of response, how much money I spent submitting it (which adds up into a total bar at the top of my spreadsheet), the amount of money the story made on this submission (also adds up at the top of my spreadsheet), whether it was accepted, what kind of response it got (Acceptance, Form Rejection, Personal Rejection, etc), and room for additional information as necessary. I also made some simply macros to sort my lists by story title, magazine title, and submission dates, so I can get several different overviews of what is going on.

This has saved me so far from multi-subbing or losing track of anything.

-Michelle

RG570

Registered
Reaction score
I just keep a list in a word processor file. Not fancy by any means, but it works.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I have an Excel document I keep track of subs in. One for each novel or short I'm sending out.

At the top it has the following catagories: Agent (or magazine), address, what sent (query, first 5, partial etc), date sent, reply recieved (date) and comments. It's quick and dirty and works perfect for me.

Arisa81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pacificpurple.blogspot.com
In a notebook. One side of a page per month.
Five columns: Project/Market/Send Date/Response Date/Response

Quite simple and I love keeping these records on paper.
When I make a sale I highlight it. I use a different colour for each month and even decorate the top of the page (with stickers or little drawings). I like to keep it fun :)

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I do what Arisa does (hiliting, too!), but I also keep a manilla folder with a submission sheet in it for each market that I regularly submit to (about 10). It's a little extra work, but that way I can see at a glance which items I've submitted to a particular market, and can send them stuff they haven't seen yet. I also keep rejection/acceptance letters in the file folder. For my poetry markets I also keep a list of poems in each folder; the poems are listed by line count. So a market that only accepts poems 20 lines or less only has a list of all the poems I've written that are less than 21 lines. I check them off on the list as I submit them. If rejected, I draw a line through them; acceptances get circled.

ETA: I only do it this way rather than your way Sean because I submit mostly poetry, and have a lot more submissions than markets. So it's easier to have a file for each market than a file for each submission.

Last edited:

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm querying on three novels. I use an Excel spreadsheet with one column for who I submitted to (alphabetical) and one column for each of the novels. I do use some color coding and my entries in each cell are pretty cryptic. I will say I like the alphabetical aspect of the file. Since I'm working on three novels, it's easy for me to check to see whether I've sent one out to someone before I accidentally send the same agent or publisher a second one. Puma

Reaction score
I have an Excel document I keep track of subs in. One for each novel or short I'm sending out.

At the top it has the following catagories: Agent (or magazine), address, what sent (query, first 5, partial etc), date sent, reply recieved (date) and comments. It's quick and dirty and works perfect for me.

Almost exactly the same for me, except I keep all my novels in one Excel document and add one more category for the title, and two others for the agency and specific agent's name.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
I made an Excel spreadsheet for tracking my short story submissions. Each row contains the story title, the genre, the magazine it has been submitted to (one instance per row), the date submitted, the date I expect a response, the actual date of response, how much money I spent submitting it (which adds up into a total bar at the top of my spreadsheet), the amount of money the story made on this submission (also adds up at the top of my spreadsheet), whether it was accepted, what kind of response it got (Acceptance, Form Rejection, Personal Rejection, etc), and room for additional information as necessary. I also made some simply macros to sort my lists by story title, magazine title, and submission dates, so I can get several different overviews of what is going on.

This has saved me so far from multi-subbing or losing track of anything.

-Michelle

Wow, that's pretty detailed. I might do something like that, although I prefer hard copy myself, so I can post it on my cork board.

I'm enjoying all the posts. Not only are the ideas fun to read about, but also I myself am starting to get ideas on how to improve my own method.

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
I have an archive folder in my email account where I keep a copy of all rejection emails and I also keep a copy of all email submissions.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
When I first started years and years ago, I kept everything on 3x5 cards in an index file.

Now I use this program specifically designed for writers that keeps track of submissions.

Not that I really need it, I only submit one story to one agency at a time.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Snipped...

Now I use this program specifically designed for writers that keeps track of submissions.

...Snipped.

Really? What's this program called? Is it freeware, or does it cost something? If so, how much?

It sounds like a cool program, whatever it is.

Mystic Blossom

My heart's a battleground
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rachellieberman.wordpress.com
When I first started sending stuff out, I intended to have a system, but it kind of fell apart on me before it even began. I guess the closest I come to organized is to not delete my e-rejections, and keep all my snail mail rejections in a folder on my desk. I also make a note in my copy of the Writer's Market if I remember to, and I keep copies of all my queries and cover letters on my harddrive, so I at least know who I've sent stuff to.

I'm terrible.

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
In truth, I've never been happy with any system for keeping track. I used to keep them on index cards, but that drove me completely crazy, and it was too easy to miss what was still out. I tried a program, but that was more focused on freelancers submitting articles than novelists, so most of the features I wasn't even using. I've also done an Excel spreadsheet, which was okay but not great, and now I'm doing a Word document, which is okay, but not great either.

jordijoy

In pursuit!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandrafoy.blogspot.com
I have folders in my email box for submitted and rejected work. But I don't have every rejection or every summitted I've ever sent out. I started this process months ago, but I've been submitted much much longer without a good tracking system.........

Last edited:

jhtatroe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennifertatroe.com
I use Duotrope to track my short fiction submissions. Also the word processing program I use (Copywrite for Mac) has a notes section with each document where I keep track of market information and submission/response dates.

Cav Guy

Living in the backstory
Registered
Reaction score
WriteItNow has a tab for submissions, so I use that to track my novels (provided I wrote them using the program). For other things I use SpackJock's Sonar2. It's free, and gives me a nice overview of what's out, how long it's been out, and how many times it's been out. Sonar2's free and has worked well for me. Before that I used a notebook or index cards.

heatheringemar

lurking behind that corner..
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ingemarwrites.wordpress.com
I keep track of mine in an Excel spreadsheet. I list the title, the publisher(s) I've sent it to, and the dates it went out. If I get a rejection, the publisher's name is turned to a pale grey color. If I get an acceptance, I bold it. If I turn the work's title to red, it means I've retired it.

It's a pretty simple system, and one I think works well for me.

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
Everything but novels goes on one big Excel spreadsheet (gotta love that AutoFilter feature!). The first column is the Submitted Date, when I get a reply I add an * to the date so I can see at a glance how many are still pending. When I'm in a submitting mood, I can filter on whatever story needs to go back out and see its whole history. Or, I can filter on a market & see that history.

I also have columns for the usual (address, print/online pub, response time, payment, cost of submission) and the last column is for any comments to myself (everything from "dead market" to "break in here if it kills you").

For novels, it's more complicated. I use a Word doc to collect agents/publishers that may be a good fit as soon as I start the first draft. By the time I'm ready to shop the ms it's usually pretty big, so then it gets prioritized. Submissions are all on a spreadsheet. Agents who ask to see anything else or send personal comments get highlighted in bright pink so they stand out for next time.

Cool thread! :)

Last edited:

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Another spreadsheet user here!

I don't use any macros but mine is pretty similar to Michelle's. If something comes back rejected, I just insert a new row beneath the title for info on the next market. This sheet also lists my expenses and income, and I highlight the Acceptance/Rejection column until I've heard back from the market. Current year's income is also highlighted a different color, since I keep one long sheet instead of making a new one each year.

I'll make a new one for novels/agents when I start querying. No need to mix that in with my short stories/short non-fiction.

Anthony Ravenscroft

Scribble, scribble, scribble
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.crossquarter.com
I've got plenty of software, but I do my tracking in a simple document. That way I don't need to be online or even have the computer on -- any of that time-wasting nonsense -- & I just print off a copy or three for posting above my monitor & carrying around in my notebook(s).

When I'm done with a piece, I give it a new entry:
Title:
Type:
Categories:
SENT TO ON REJECTION REC’D

I spin out a list of potential markets, roughly starting from the most desirable likely buyers, perhaps
Zoetrope magazine
New Yorker
Paris Review
Ploughshares
Yale Review
Tin House
New York Stories
Missouri Review

or whatever.

Entries under "Categories" can be like "literary / quirky / science fiction" or "crime / fantasy" or whatever.

It's dumb, & I know at a glance what's circulating, what should go out again, what's off to a single outlet, & so forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.