PDA

View Full Version : July Goals

Arisa81
07-01-2007, 03:49 AM
It's been quite a while since I started a monthly goal thread, so why not get one going again!
What are everyone's goals for the month of July?

My Goals:

* Finish a quiz I am working on to submit to a big magazine
* Break into a new magazine (or e-zine)
* I would also like to begin work on a slightly bigger project, such as a book of poetry or a non-fiction book. I plan to at least think about this this month.

:) Come on everyone, let's share! :)

Sean D. Schaffer
07-01-2007, 04:37 AM
I think this thread is a good idea. :)

My goals for July:
To write four short stories and submit each one at least once.
To finish the 2nd Draft of my novel WIP, The Redemption of Jonathan Rahn.
To begin work on the 3rd and final Draft of my novel WIP, The Redemption of Jonathan Rahn.
To begin work on another novel WIP, although I'm not sure which one to work on next.I hope I can meet all these goals this month. I'll let you all know as I continue to meet them.

:)

scarletpeaches
07-01-2007, 04:43 AM
I'll aim for finishing the second draft of Dark-Adapted Eyes. Just under 30k to go; piece of cake. And I'll submit Bird of Prey to at least five different agents even though I'm heartily sick of that damn book now and fast running out of agents to send it to.

Susie
07-01-2007, 04:57 AM
Great goals, everyone. I want to:

l. Get some more greetings published, especially to companies I haven't sold to.
2. Write more articles on different subjects.
3. Aim for higher paying markets.
4. Try finding a good home for my book of poetry.

Pike
07-01-2007, 08:34 PM
They say setting goals helps set your focus and aim, so here's mine:

- Finish the short story I've been dinking with for over a month.

- Complete my 3rd draft revision of my novel.

- Lay out a solid outline for a screenplay a buddy of mine wants to collaberate on.

- And of course, get one of my shorts published with one of the BIG houses.

That'll do for now, I hope.

Pike

Kudra
07-01-2007, 09:46 PM
I'll play. Here are mine:

-> Write and submit the piece I have assigned.
-> Make five sales (ideas or essays)
-> Research four big markets (one per week) and find ideas for them.
-> Write five new pieces.

That's all, folks! :D

Arisa81
07-01-2007, 10:33 PM
Great to see your goals everyone! Good luck and keep 'em coming!

Siddow
07-01-2007, 11:06 PM
*write and submit short to Pedestal.

*write and submit short romance to Woman's World

*write and submit divorce story to Chicken Soup

*30k on WIP

That should do it!

Arisa81
07-02-2007, 06:43 AM
Good luck! :)

Who else has some goals for July? I know you're out there ;)

JenNipps
07-02-2007, 07:15 AM
I'm hoping to get to the 3/4-done point on my current WIP. (Already to chapter 7, though I did go back and add a second POV because it was a bit too flat).

WriterInChains
07-02-2007, 10:48 AM
As of 2007 I'm a HUGE fan of putting goals in writing! Here are some for July:

-Write bio for VoiceCatcher.
-Work with editors @ VC as if I'm truly a professional.
-Finish current draft of TSAF (final? maybe).
-Work on/finish short to submit to SQ.
-Send out all shorts that're just sitting & gathering dust because I thought it'd never happen again.

Thanks for starting this thread! :)

Kadea
07-02-2007, 11:30 AM
My big goal is to get about 15,000-20,000 more words done for my memoir this month (giving me around 60,000). Then get a solid revision done on it and begin getting my killer query letter started...

Yikes! Did I just commit to all that?

Symphony
07-02-2007, 02:41 PM
Yep. Goals. I need goals.

I've already got some in my signature, but my more general ones will also be:

1. First draft of new picture book idea
2. Brainstorm non-fiction ideas for children's mags
3. Spend time here on-site and hopefully creeping a small way UP the learning ladder
4. Increase from 250 words/day to 300 words/day (let's not push it - I still want to feel I can do it!!) lol
5. Re-address two pbs, edit/rewrite and resubmit

Stijn Hommes
07-02-2007, 03:43 PM
I'll keep my writing goals simple:
1) Keep submitting the story I have out until it is accepted.
2) Finish at least a single short story and submit that too.
3) Write at least 3 chapters in my novel.

Susan B
07-03-2007, 02:45 AM
My goals for July:

1) Finish my new/old "little project" (finishing up the travel notes from a trip I took last spring, a springboard to my next book) while I

2) Wait gracefully while the full MS for my first book is being read by the 3 publishers who now have it, and

3) Hope for the best but steel myself for the worst re: the fate of the above book!

Susan

Arisa81
07-03-2007, 05:53 AM
Great goals everyone! :)
Thanks for joining in and GOOD LUCK!

WordGypsy
07-03-2007, 08:09 AM
Ok, so this worked well for me last month and I only missed my goal of 500 words a day (15,000 total) by about 600! That's amazing for me :D. So I'm gonna go with....

1. 500+ words a day after edits and such
2. Split story in two and work on it as two halves to be combined when each is done.
3. Start working on query letter when I just can't take it anymore :D
4. DO NOT RESEARCH AGENTS! (I need to work on not getting ahead of myself...)

Can't wait to check back at the end of the month and see how we all did!

Arisa81
07-03-2007, 10:47 PM
Good luck, WorkGypsy! :)

Casalys
07-03-2007, 11:06 PM
I've only just started writing again last week, and I was never prolific, so I'm taking it slow. Here are my July goals.

Revise Kayla's Wish and begin the submissions.
Finish, revise, and submit the guinea pig story.
Write at least one more short story or article.
Work on novel at least 4 hours each week.Well, maybe that's not slow. I don't know, but it's not for me. I can do this though.
Christa

Eskimo1990
07-04-2007, 06:06 PM
My July Goals....

1. Actually finish one of the two stories I'm working on.
2.Edit All in the Mind
3.Write 500+ words a day
4. And possibly send a story out

Hopefully I accomplish one of them

Arisa81
07-09-2007, 12:06 AM
So, how did everyone's first week of July go? Are you off to a good start?

For me:

*I am still working on my quiz. I hope to have it sent out at least by the beginning of August.
*I've been thinking about a book idea. Just that, thinking. Not much action on it right now.
What I already write keeps me plenty busy, so I'm not in a rush to pile more on.
So far I've gotten 5 submissions out. One rejection so far and I am waiting to hear on the others still and those from previous months as well.

WriterInChains
07-09-2007, 01:20 AM
So far, so good:

-Write bio for VoiceCatcher. Done

-Work with editors @ VC as if I'm truly a professional. So far, so good: sent everything they asked for before deadline.

-Finish current draft of TSAF (final? maybe). Done; won't be my final draft, it's in the hands of a few critters/betas & I already have some good suggestions.

-Work on/finish short to submit to SQ. One editing pass done.

-Send out all shorts that're just sitting & gathering dust because I thought it'd never happen again. Sent out 2 so far.

WordGypsy
07-09-2007, 02:04 AM
Well, after week one I:

1. I only got 1,471/3,500 :( On the excuse side of things I didn't have ANY days off this week AND had some kind of flu bug thing for the past few days. I have two glorious days off now, :e2writer: so hopefully some words will come out of it and I promise I'll catch up!!! Can't let you guys down :)
2. Story is split and marinating...So put a check under this one:Thumbs: !
3. Held out on the query letter writing for this week.
4. Haven't looked into agents...I'm not sure if this is laziness or goal meeting :D

edwardcullen13
07-09-2007, 02:24 AM
My goal for July:

1. Get to at least 60,000 words in my story "Sacrifice" (45,808 right now)

Kudra
07-09-2007, 02:32 PM
Oh right. We're supposed to actually do this stuff.

-> Write and submit the piece I have assigned. - done.
-> Make five sales (ideas or essays) - 1 down, 4 to go.
-> Research four big markets (one per week) and find ideas for them. - Did research one, but no ideas yet.
-> Write five new pieces. - 1 down, 4 to go.

How's everyone else doing?

Vandal
07-09-2007, 03:53 PM
- WIP: Heed the great advice from my beta readers and make changes accordingly.

- Get going on novel #2. It won't write itself.

Kadea
07-09-2007, 10:14 PM
I haven't gotten as much done as I have wanted so far, but I'm not concerned. I have been known to churn out 3,000 words in a day when I get in to it and we still have 22 days left in the month...

But I have some other things that have come up this month that I wasn't expecting that are moving me in a good direction... which is cool!

Stijn Hommes
07-10-2007, 12:51 PM
I'll keep my writing goals simple:
1) Keep submitting the story I have out until it is accepted.
2) Finish at least a single short story and submit that too.
3) Write at least 3 chapters in my novel.
1) I've netted 3 rejections and have the story out with 2 others.
2) I'm working on revising one story and writing another. At least one should become saleable this month (especially with vacation around the corner).
3) Let's not talk about that one...

Arisa81
07-11-2007, 01:56 AM
Everyone is keeping busy. That's great.
I ended up scrapping the quiz I started for the big magazine. Luckily I had't gotten that far into it. The idea just wasn't working for me, so I'm coming up with another one.

Stijn Hommes
07-11-2007, 12:17 PM
1) I've netted 3 rejections and have the story out with 2 others.Correction: Since yesterday evenening 3 has become 4...

Kudra
07-11-2007, 01:44 PM
-> Write five new pieces. - now 2 down, 3 to go.

Arisa81
07-15-2007, 12:20 AM
Well, last week was such a lazy week for me. The heat was unbearable. But it looks like things will be cooling down a little for this next week and I am definitely going to play catch up!

How's everyone doing?

Kudra
07-15-2007, 01:21 AM
Felt like a sloooooow week and I thought it would never end, but I did manage to get some stuff done.

-> Make five sales (ideas or essays) - 1 down, 4 to go.
-> Research four big markets (one per week) and find ideas for them. - 1 down, 3 to go.
-> Write five new pieces. - 1 2 down, 4 3 to go.

WordGypsy
07-15-2007, 06:09 AM
Ok, so this worked well for me last month and I only missed my goal of 500 words a day (15,000 total) by about 600! That's amazing for me :D. So I'm gonna go with....

1. 500+ words a day after edits and such well, after some catch up I'm only 2,000 words behind...should be making up more ground next week with some short work days in there...I'm at 44,190 so we're making progress
2. Split story in two and work on it as two halves to be combined when each is done. Had to put them both back together for now...need a lot of work with pacing though...
3. Start working on query letter when I just can't take it anymore :D Still query free :D
4. DO NOT RESEARCH AGENTS! (I need to work on not getting ahead of myself...) Ok, maybe just one or two.... :(
All in all it's going good so far. I just keep thinking if I can really buckle down I might be able to be done with it by mid August. I think that scares me more than anything!!!!

Can't wait to check back at the end of the month and see how we all did! How's everyone else doing? Week two is over tomorrow!!!!! Check in and let us know!

Just needed to add that this thread gave me the kick in the a*# that I needed...hopefully by the end of the night I'll have added 3,000 words in three days. Considering I usually slog through 500 very slow coming words that's a huge number for me :D Can't wait to see what I end the week at!!

Esopha
07-17-2007, 03:04 AM
Ooh. Just what I need, group motivation!

This July I have one major goal:

- I must write at least 20,000 words of original prose in LC before Rosemary and company enter the Maze of Druubor. That should put me in the 75k range. Everything else will be put on the back burner.

- I'd like to take this bullet point to say that if my characters in another WIP threaten me with sharp objects and insomnia, I will be forced to comply with their wishes. Thank you.

Arisa81
07-17-2007, 10:28 PM
Good luck Esopha! :)

Susan B
07-18-2007, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the prompt, Arisa!

Well, how am I doing? Let's see...

My goals for July:

1) Finish my new/old "little project" (finishing up the travel notes from a trip I took last spring, a springboard to my next book) while I That's done, though I was down to the wire, since I was rushing to finish it to give to my in-laws just as we were joining them for another trip. Found some typos after, so could use some editing now!

2) Wait gracefully while the full MS for my first book is being read by the 3 publishers who now have it, and Not doing so well with this one!

3) Hope for the best but steel myself for the worst re: the fate of the above book! Think I'm doing pretty well with expecting the worst :-)

So, I'm doing only so-so. Just back from vacation, hard to get moving on more writing. Getting antsy as I keep checking e-mail, hoping for word from my agent and/or publishers.

Susan

Esopha
07-19-2007, 06:27 AM
Good luck Esopha! :)

Thanks so much! As you can see from my signature, I'm reaching my goal faster than I thought, and the new prose is really helping my WIP. :)

WordGypsy
07-19-2007, 09:17 AM
Thanks so much! As you can see from my signature, I'm reaching my goal faster than I thought, and the new prose is really helping my WIP. :) So fun to watch your word count grow! Keep it up! You're almost halfway there :D

litkitty
07-19-2007, 08:44 PM
What an inspiring thread!

I'm joining kind of late (am posting here for the first time in 2 years--haha!), but figured I could use some motivation for drafting the last third of my novel.

End of July Goals

Finish October scenes
Try to get characters to Thanksgiving dinner (for some reason, I tend to write out of season)
Update book journal

WordGypsy
07-19-2007, 09:01 PM
Good luck litkitty and welcome back!

Kudra
07-20-2007, 11:04 PM
Small update.

-> Make five sales (ideas or essays) - 3 down, 2 to go.
-> Research four big markets (one per week) and find ideas for them. - 2 down, 2 to go.

Sean D. Schaffer
07-21-2007, 04:31 AM
A quick update on my progress:

I have written one short story this month and submitted it. I have trunked my novel WIP and I have stopped writing completely for the time being. I have to deal with some serious personal problems and this involves changing attitudes about a lot of things ... including my chosen profession.

I'll probably not be writing for the next few weeks all that much. I am basically on a sabbatical and I think the changes that have happened in my life have been helpful. When I get back to writing, I hope to take the job not only much more seriously, but also much more pleasurably as well.

Anyway, I wanted you all to know what's going on, as I did post in this thread with my July goals. I'm not going to be able to meet those goals, I'm pretty sure.

Esopha
07-22-2007, 07:31 PM
- I must write at least 20,000 words of original prose in LC before Rosemary and company enter the Maze of Druubor. That should put me in the 75k range. Everything else will be put on the back burner.

Heeeheee. I haven't written much in these last two days. I blame Harry Potter. Of course, I'm done with the book. :) Now all I have to do is write 9,600 words. I'm vaguely worried that there isn't going to be enough stuff going on between where MC's are now and where they're going to be to take up 9,000+ words.

WordGypsy
07-22-2007, 11:49 PM

1. 500+ words a day after edits and such I went a step further and FINISHED the damn thing :D:snoopy:it's on sabbatical for two weeks before I'm allowed to look at it again...
2. Split story in two and work on it as two halves to be combined when each is done. done!!!!!!!
3. Start working on query letter when I just can't take it anymore :D Time to start!
4. DO NOT RESEARCH AGENTS! (I need to work on not getting ahead of myself...) I'm allowed to work on this since it's done! I need something to fill the hours if I'm not working on the WIP! :D

Can't wait to check back at the end of the month and see how we all did! I can't believe I finished it!!!

Arisa81
07-23-2007, 01:44 AM
Congrats!! I am so proud of you, WordGypsy! :) :)

Kudra
07-23-2007, 01:56 AM
Congratulations WG! That's absolutely fantastic news. Try not to cheat on the looking again. ;)

WordGypsy
07-23-2007, 07:22 AM
haha! It'll be hard, but I'm gonna try for those two weeks of not looking. I know it'll help in the end. After the two weeks I'm gonna do two weeks or so of edits and then it's off to the official beta readers. Hopefully I'll be submitting by the time September rolls around, or at least pointed in the right direction. Right now I'm working my way through agents to find the best fits. I'm glad I have time to really look through and get to know them. I'll probably start the query later later this week and get it up to par over the next month or so! :D

Kudra
07-23-2007, 04:08 PM
New week. Just finished one more essay. So my tally now looks like this:

-> Make five sales (ideas or essays) - 3 down, 2 to go.
-> Research four big markets (one per week) and find ideas for them.
-> Write five new pieces. - 3 down, 2 to go.

Arisa81
07-26-2007, 11:21 PM
5 days until the end of the month. How's everyone doing with July's goals?
It's not been a successful month for me, but August will be a brand new month! :) I hope you're all getting your goals accomplished. :Thumbs:

dahosek
07-27-2007, 02:42 AM
It's been a bit poor. I had four writing-related goals: Get "The Survivors" into submissions (done, and I even got my first two rejections from it). Get "MeTube" ready to go to writer's group (still working on draft 1), finish draft 2 of The Archbishop's Son (I've got about 20K words to go, unlikely to happen by the end of the month), and get "St Jude's Medallion" into submissions (I'm just starting work on draft 3, and it really should get a round of critiques so I don't think that'll happen this month).

My non-writing resolutions didn't come out much better, but August, as you say, is a new month.

My home-stretch goals are to get a first draft of "MeTube" finished, do draft three of "St Jude" and finish the current chapter and the chapter after of The Archbishop's Son.

WordGypsy
07-27-2007, 04:20 AM
I did everything but work on the query letter, but there's still 5 days left to get that in order. I want my roomie to read it first so he can help with phrasing and what not when I write it. I really need to work on the first chapter and the ending of the story. The more I think on it the more it bugs me! So when do we start the August Goals thread?! :D

Esopha
07-27-2007, 04:29 AM
I can write 8,000 words in five days. I can, I can, I can.

Deep, calming breaths.

Arisa81
07-30-2007, 12:44 AM
Well, well. I can honestly say that none of my goals for July were met, but I did get writing in anyway. And on Friday I got a contract for 2 poems from Blue Mountain. That's my first contract for them in like a year! I have been bad about submitting to them in that time. But I plan to do more for them from now on. But more on that when we talk about August goals.

Susan B
07-30-2007, 01:39 AM
I'm happy to say I met my 3 July goals.

#1: Already reported that was done. (Finishing up some travel notes from a year ago.)

#2 and 3: Finally got through the impasse of waiting, fretting, checking e-mails and being generally unproductive as I wait for word about my memoir that's on submission.

Started writing something new! And I mean really new, at least for me: fiction, the first 4 pages of a mystery I'd been toying with mostly in my head, writing a few notes. Builds on my travel notes in #1, but not in the way I'd originally planned (nonfiction.)

Have no idea if I'll even finish, but it feels liberating and kind of--fun, even.
It's here in SYW, to make it official:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71931

Thanks for the push! This thread has really helped.

Susan

Esopha
07-30-2007, 03:11 AM
I didn't end up writing all that new prose, mostly because my revisions took the story in a completely different direction and the pacing was all wrong.

That said, I'm very happy with it. My MC's grown more than she did in the first draft, which is a plus, and there's more action, which is a bigger plus.

Kudra
07-31-2007, 09:59 PM
I think I did pretty okay with my goals. Didn't meet all of them, but met a few, had regular work and writing going on, and apart from a minor setback last week, feel on-track.

I'm ready for August. I think.

litkitty
08-01-2007, 02:56 AM
Even though I didn't complete my goals for July, I did make some good progress and am close to getting back to a more consistent writign schedule.

End of July Goals

Finish October scenes Almost there, just a few more pages
Try to get characters to Thanksgiving dinner (for some reason, I tend to write out of season)
Update book journalOff to post my August goals....

Great job to all who made progress on their projects this month!! :e2cheer:

Sean D. Schaffer
08-01-2007, 06:02 PM
I did pretty badly with my goals for July, but I came to some realizations that have helped me become a stronger writer as well as a better person. I'm now working on a Fantasy novel that I'm shooting for 100,000 words with in my First Draft. The writing is decent, and is coming along quickly ... when I actually take out the typewriter and apply myself to getting those words down on paper.

So although some bad things have happened this month, I've become a better person for it. My writing has suffered in quantity, but the quality, I believe, has vastly improved.

WriterInChains
08-02-2007, 05:03 AM
Okay, here goes:

-Write bio for VoiceCatcher. Done

-Work with editors @ VC as if I'm truly a professional. I'll see how well I accomplished this when I meet them in person tomorrow night. Don't think I did too badly. :)

-Finish current draft of TSAF (final? maybe). Yes (nope).

-Work on/finish short to submit to SQ. Hmmm, I fixed one sentence in the opening paragraph. This one will have to slide forward to August.

-Send out all shorts that're just sitting & gathering dust because I thought it'd never happen again. Another one to slide forward; they need a little tweaking here & there first.

Thanks again for starting this thread, Arisa! August goals will have to wait until next week, after the conference.