PDA

View Full Version : Wisdom Literature

barnsleydog
06-30-2007, 09:10 PM
Hello,

I am interested in advice or opinion relating to the genre of Wisdom literature. I have written a novel in this genre and am seeking representation. The manuscript has been reviewed by both professionals and non-professionals, and the response it seems to be getting is amazing to me. I’m excited about its potential and I’m committed to find an agent with whom this genre resonates. I'm wondering if some of the challenge I'm experiencing getting signed might be that the genre seems less well established. I'll balance that by saying that successful titles (the Alchemist, Way of the peaceful warrior, The Celestine Phropecy) sell millions, and I firmly believe the future potential of this market is huge. I feel the genre is a response to our increasing interest in the nature of life, existence and reality.

Can you please tell me, how established you feel this genre is, and perhaps give me a little advice about positioning my manuscript?

With warmest regards, and thanks

Julie

Estefanos
12-18-2008, 10:24 PM
Well...I guess the number of responses to your post is an answer of sorts.

I've also written a book in your genre and am looking for an agent. I've often wondered how I should classify my novel: New Age, Paranormal, etc. I know there's a market, and I know my book is as good as others that have proved successful, but I've yet to find the proper door.

Does anyone know if Joann Davis is still working as an agent? I haven't been able to find her on the web.

victoriastrauss
12-20-2008, 02:18 AM
I'm not aware that "wisdom literature" is a genre at all in fiction. I think you might confuse agents or editors by describing your novel that way.

Maybe "New Age" would be a better term. Are there any novels out there that you feel are similar to yours in theme or approach? Maybe finding out how they're described will help you pinpoint the way you should be marketing your book.

- Victoria

SirBiatch
12-20-2008, 06:38 AM
^yeah. sounds like he's written "The Secret"

IceCreamEmpress
12-22-2008, 11:18 PM
This category is generally called "New Age" and/or "Metaphysical" and/or "Visionary".

Amazon.com, for instance, has the categories "Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Metaphysical" and "Religion & Spirituality > Fiction > Visionary Fiction."

Exir
12-23-2008, 07:39 AM
Do you mean something like The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho?

UberScribbler
02-21-2010, 01:59 AM
Estafanos - I was searching on Joann Davis and up you popped. I know that I'm responding to an old, OLD post, but I have a problem leaving things unanswered, especially for the next person that may come along, and so the answer is as follows;

Joann Davis is no longer a book editor. She is a full time author, along with her husband Kenneth C. Davis, and has 9 published titles to her name. Her latest being The Book of the Shepherd, that lends itself to the same spiritual essence that she found with James Redfield in The Celestine Prophecy.

~Uberscribbler