PDA

View Full Version : Bible Quote Help

Parkinsonsd
06-30-2007, 06:19 PM
I'm kind of stuck. My WIP has a devout older gentleman see a young friend who is trying to impress a female (future wife). The older man needs to recite a passage from the Bible concerning the "beauty of young love", but I have been unable to find any thing relevant.

Does anyone have a good passage to refer me to?

waylander
06-30-2007, 06:41 PM
Something from The Song of Solomon. Chapter 4 looks promising.

James D. Macdonald
06-30-2007, 06:52 PM
1 Timothy 4:12
Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.

Pat~
06-30-2007, 07:12 PM
I'm not familiar with any verse that says that in the Bible. Here's one from Song of Solomon 8:7 that seems a bit romantic: "Many waters cannot quench love; rivers cannot wash it away. If one were to give all the wealth of his house for love, it would be utterly scorned."

Here's a benediction (not something he'd necessarily say to her):

"May your fountain be blessed, and may you rejoice in the wife of your youth" (Proverbs 5:18)

And here's one of my favorites:

"Many a man claims to have unfailing love, but a faithful man, who can find?" (Proverbs 20:6) ;)

Pat~
06-30-2007, 07:21 PM
Here are a few more romantic ones from the Song of Solomon:

SS 1:15
SS 2:14
SS 4, esp. verse 7: "All beautiful you are, my darling; there is no flaw in you" and verse 9: "You have stolen my heart, my sister, my bride; you have stolen my heart with one glance of your eyes, with one jewel of your necklace."

Scrawler
06-30-2007, 10:18 PM
BibleGateway (http://www.biblegateway.com/keyword/) has a keyword function. Type in your keywords (beauty, youth, young love ?) and it will give you lots of possibilities.

Sean D. Schaffer
07-01-2007, 12:37 AM
Pat, it's Proverbs 5:18, I believe. This is the quote, including Verse 19 with it.

18. Let thy fountain be blessed: and rejoice with the wife of thy youth.
19. Let her be as the loving hind and pleasant roe; let her breasts satisfy thee at all times; and be thou ravished always with her love.

I think this quote might be quite relevant to the OP's question, although I'm not sure, like you Pat, whether there's a Scripture dealing with the beauty of young love ... unless it can be found in the Song of Solomon (Song of Songs, Canticles, Solomon's Song, etc., depending on what Bible you read).

Pat~
07-01-2007, 12:43 AM
Sean, thanks for the correction! I was in Proverbs and typed Psalms...go figure!

Skyraven
07-09-2007, 04:49 AM
I'm kind of stuck. My WIP has a devout older gentleman see a young friend who is trying to impress a female (future wife). The older man needs to recite a passage from the Bible concerning the "beauty of young love", but I have been unable to find any thing relevant.

Does anyone have a good passage to refer me to?

My absolute favorite reading - 1 Corinthians 13: 4-8. I don't know how appropriate it is, but it does describe the perfect love.. patient, kind, etc. Maybe the character can declare his love in that way. Hope this helps.

Skyraven

Penguin Queen
07-09-2007, 04:59 AM
Here's one from Song of Solomon 8:7 that seems a bit romantic:

It might save time to reference the few verses in that Song of S. that arent highly romantic. Wonderful, wonderful piece of poetry. :)

Mac H.
07-09-2007, 10:06 AM
The older man needs to recite a passage from the Bible concerning the "beauty of young love", but I have been unable to find any thing relevant.

Does anyone have a good passage to refer me to?This is (almost) off topic, but too good not to mention.

There is an old joke about a young suitor in exactly that position - trying to find a Bible verse to send to the woman he was wooing.

He finally settled on 1 John 4:18 "There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear", and sent her a card inscribed with the Bible reference.

Unfortunately, he left out the '1'. So when she looked up the Bible to "John 4:18" she read the accusation "You have had five husbands, and the man you now have is not your husband"

For some reason, his wooing wasn't successful ...

Mac