PDA

View Full Version : IRC/International Postage -- Are we crazy or what!!!

reigningcatsndogs
06-30-2007, 05:49 PM
I have queried IRC's on the water cooler, and Ic an't find this issue being addressedo ther than brifly in 2005. If it has been and I can't find it, I'm sorry for being redundant.;) I have no idea what postage is worth in other countries, but for a Canadian to have to purchase IRC's, the process and cost is crazy. For the most part, I ask for my rejections (yeah, I know, far too many of them, but I'm still swinging) to be recycled, but I still have to pay for the return postage so they can ruin my day in a few months' time. Now we have a 'permanent stamp', and the value on it is simply 'p' which means that even if the price of postage goes up, your stamp is still fine and you don't need to add to it. Is it possible or would it be a logistical nightmare to set up some sort of system for someone from all the different countries here to agree to send out stamps upon request of other members? ie I would be more than happy to send out Canadian stamps to whoever if the contacted my via pm. Even with the cost of mailig a cheque to cover the cost of the stamps and the postage to get them to you, it would be cheaper by far than IRC's, and probably would make life easier for the agent/publisher receiving the package. It's just a thought -- does it have any merit?

The Lady
06-30-2007, 08:23 PM
I don't know how it would work but it's worth a think about. Ireland stopped doing IRCs a while ago so I've balked at the notion of sending anything, anywhere out of the country by mail that required SSAE. I did manage to enter WOTF via their English address but it was still a nightmare.
BTW, I think it can be prohibitively expensive to cash or deposit foreign currency cheques. Also don't most countries' post offices allow you to purchase stamps? I know I checked out the American website and they did.

aruna
06-30-2007, 08:27 PM
You can just arrange with another AW member to send you US stamps - that's what I did; I asked a couple of friends - I think Ray was one - and it worked fine. I sent them cash if I remember rightly. Or you can pay them with paypal.

reigningcatsndogs
06-30-2007, 08:45 PM
I've ordered stamps from the US postal service, and they have a wonderful service. The problem for me is getting them over the border -- seriously. It cost me $20 to get the stamps out of Canadian customs, and they held up the shipment for two months in the process. As far as payment, a cheque sent to me that specifies 'Canadian Dollars' works for the banks here, and so the exchange is based on the bank rate the day the cheque is deposited. I've chequed out the Canadian Post site and it seems ridiculously complicated, especially for anything outside of Canada. But when I think of the amount of money involved in IRC's, they almost make submitting outside your own country impossible.

aruna
06-30-2007, 09:16 PM
Actually, there's a website where you can buy US stamps online. I don;t have the link right now, though.

RG570
06-30-2007, 09:26 PM
I've ordered stamps from the US postal service, and they have a wonderful service. The problem for me is getting them over the border -- seriously. It cost me $20 to get the stamps out of Canadian customs, and they held up the shipment for two months in the process. As far as payment, a cheque sent to me that specifies 'Canadian Dollars' works for the banks here, and so the exchange is based on the bank rate the day the cheque is deposited. I've chequed out the Canadian Post site and it seems ridiculously complicated, especially for anything outside of Canada. But when I think of the amount of money involved in IRC's, they almost make submitting outside your own country impossible.

Can't you just get the U.S. postage at the post office? I don't see why you should have to go through all that just to get a few U.S. stamps. Postal outlets should have them.

reigningcatsndogs
06-30-2007, 10:04 PM
Canadian postal outlets don't sell US stamps, or stamps from any other country. You have to get stamps 'in-country'. And the US post office is great about sending stamps to individuals in Canada, but the Cdn government extracts more than its pound of flesh -- GST on the value of the package, plus all of their processing charges. Seriously, I had a purchase worth $5 coming from the US, and it cost me $15 to get it out of the post office (and the item was prepaid including shipping).

veinglory
07-01-2007, 12:34 AM
That's a good reason to tap someone to send you some by regular private post ;). You can also buy 'print your own' US postage over the internet for packages.

RG570
07-01-2007, 12:46 AM
I just tried to find some here (penticton) and it's been an exercise in utter futility.

I really thought someone would have them. I swear I've seen them, but I guess I was wrong.

This is ridiculous.

Jamesaritchie
07-01-2007, 12:47 AM
IRCs aren't used much anymore, but they're still valuable, and all the signatory countries still use them. The cost really isn't that much, considering what you're getting in return. If there's a cheaper business than writing, I've never found it.

I think the problem is that too many writers anticipate rejection, rather than acceptance.

aruna
07-01-2007, 07:32 AM
IRCs aren't used much anymore, but they're still valuable, and all the signatory countries still use them. The cost really isn't that much, considering what you're getting in return. If there's a cheaper business than writing, I've never found it.

But agents hate them. It means they have to make an extra run to the PO. I remember Miss Snark snarking about it, and I've heard that from other sources as well.

I say just get a US based friend to send stamps.

Jamesaritchie
07-01-2007, 11:29 PM
But agents hate them. It means they have to make an extra run to the PO. I remember Miss Snark snarking about it, and I've heard that from other sources as well.

I say just get a US based friend to send stamps.

For most, stamps are the way to go, but not all writers live in areas where getting stamps is easy, and many still live in countries where internet access is limited, or non-existent. The perception is that the entire world is wired, and that everyone can have a friend in the US thanks to the internet, but it just isn't true.

aruna
07-02-2007, 08:17 AM
For most, stamps are the way to go, but not all writers live in areas where getting stamps is easy, and many still live in countries where internet access is limited, or non-existent. The perception is that the entire world is wired, and that everyone can have a friend in the US thanks to the internet, but it just isn't true.

Yes, that is true, but the person who asked the question IS on the Internet and on a writers' forum, and should be able to find a buddy who will do that. I asked three people from AW, and all of them agreed.

Carmy
07-03-2007, 08:21 AM
Send a cheque to Canada Post in Toronto and ask them to send you the value in US stamps. You'll have them in about a week.

The only trouble is -- once you're on their mailing list they'll keep sending a stamp catalogue, however many times you write and tell them not to.

Carmy
07-03-2007, 08:30 AM
Alternative:

Send a cheque to: Postmaster General, Spokane and include a self-addressed envelope. I've never yet had to pay GST using this method.