Stretch X-Ray (a doll from the late '70s) How's my description?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziljon

Tortilla di Patate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daviddepalo.com
Hello writers. I'd like to incorporate a real toy from the late '70's in my YA WIP. I know most kids won't be familiar with it, so I've described it. Please let me know whether the description below works for you, whether or not it gives you a fairly accurate mental image of the real doll.

I've attached a picture of it below, but please read the description first. Thanks.

Next to the eight ball, sitting in a menacing crouch, sat Stretch X-Ray, the nemesis to Stretch Armstrong––who had long since been torn apart by overzealous stretching. Duncan picked up the translucent creature and kneaded its petroleum filled body, loosening up the limbs with friction from his hands. It was a terrific monster. It had a gaping mouth filled with bloody teeth; a giant, naked brain; and completely exposed internal organs––including something like a heart, but which was positioned lower down, in a non-human location. Stretch Armstrong had been the more mundane of the two––not that that in any way warranted his destruction. He was styled like an old-fashioned wrestler, with little blue underpants painted onto his pinkish, opaque skin. When he was stretched he became thin and frightened looking, while when Stretch X-Ray was stretched, his organs became clearer, and his bulbous head seemed that much more menacing.

See pic below:

stretchxray.jpg

STETCH X-RAY

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Worked for me. That was about what I imagined.

Nice bit of writing, too. I particurally liked the end. I think I'd change non-human to inhuman, though. Not that you asked. ;)

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
LOL- I remember both Stretch Armstrong and his evil nemesis X-Ray. I'm *ahem* quite a bit older than sixteen. I could totally picture it in my head.

I've seen the stuff inside when you finally pull one of those toys apart. Gooey mess.

Ziljon

Tortilla di Patate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daviddepalo.com
I've seen the stuff inside when you finally pull one of those toys apart. Gooey mess.

Thanks, Mom, you're the best! Do you think that's why they don't make them anymore, because of the mess?

I remember giving mine a bath in steaming hot water. He got very soft then, such a neat toy!

-Ziljon

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's great. What a trip down memory lane!

Yeah, I bet the stuff was probably toxic or something. It sure was nasty.

I also had those dolls where you pressed the belly-button and pulled and their hair grew. I think they were called Violet or Veronica (the red-head) and Chrissy (the blond).

I had tons of Barbie's, but I was cruel to them. I cut their hair and drew all over them in ink pens like tattoos. I guess I made my very own Punk Barbies.

Oh, and Breyer's horses? I had like every horse they made.

Big Farah Fawcett hair. Napkin sleeves. Jellies. Roller Skating.

Whew! Thanks for the flashbacks.

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Breyer horses! I saw those in a toy store while shopping with my daughters. I made a mental note to start a collection for them when they are old enough. Ziljon, nice description of Stretch! I like how your words flow together. I need to learn some of your writing skills. I'm great with dialog, but I have a nasty habit of skipping through descriptions to get to the action. Nice work!

Last edited:

AmyC

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, Soccer Mom, I guess we're travelling down the same memory lane - the doll with the red hair was Cinnamon. I bought one a couple of years ago off E-Bay and gave it to my neice - I've got boys and I was afraid she'd end up tied to a stake and sacrificed if I gave her to them!

Ebay is a great place to see pics of some of the toys you had as a kid - but I don't know if I'd recommend buying them - they're never as great as you remember! But the pictures are a wonderful way to go back.

Amy

"I also had those dolls where you pressed the belly-button and pulled and their hair grew. I think they were called Violet or Veronica (the red-head) and Chrissy (the blond)."

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cinnamon! Thanks, Amy. I must have just named mine "Violet or Veronica."

Turkey Lurkey (love the username BTW) I still own most of my Breyer's, but they aren't in collectible condition cause I played with them like crazy.

Ebay. What a great idea for research. What are the odds that I can log onto ebay without bidding for something? Heh!

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ooooh, thanks III! I did have one. Mmmmm. Undercooked cakes and brownies. Yummy. :Cake:

Status
Not open for further replies.