Graphic Novels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivonia

What's your opinions of graphic novels? I've been looking at various sites, and this word came up, but it doesn't seem to be too big (I could be wrong though, I haven't been to a bookstore in a while).

They look kind of like comic books, but with more words or something like that. But what do you think of them? And are they worth pursuing in your opinions? One of my ideas would probably be better suited with pictures, but if comics are a better idea for it, I'll probably go that route if it's simply because it's more popular.

mr mistook

I dunno about graphic novels, but I really wish I could include illustrations in my novel - maybe one every 10 pages or so. But I guess that would make it seem like a children's storybook, and it would be too expensive for the publisher.

Pthom

Problem with illustrations in a novel, is that often, they give a pre-determined view of setting, characters and action...something a good novel should do with words alone. IMHO.

pookel

Graphic novels are comic books in book-size format. That's really the only official difference. Most, as far as I know, are compiled editions of works that were first published as comic books.

kevacho

Graphic novels are simply another way (and a wonderful way at that) at telling a story. There's everything from Frank Miller and his Sin City series, to Wendy and Richard Pini and the Elf Quest books, to Darko Macan's and Edvin Biukovic's little known, but incredibly wrought, Grendel series called Devils and Deaths. To finally, the well known, and wonderfully H.P. Lovecraft inspired, Hellboy, by Mike Mignola. All of these at one time had started out as Comic's, but then were combined, in one form or another, and with some nice extras, into one cohesive book; i.e. a graphic novel.

To answer your query, Ivonia, I like comics, graphic novels, books, movies, and screenplays all for the same reason… a damn good story. If you have that, regardless of the medium, I'm hooked.

Let the "joe" flow...

Kevin
www.kevacho.com

preyer

the flip-side to that, pthom, is often the front cover already contains an image that establishes a look. unfortunately, not always does the image match the story. kind of like the old romance author lament, 'the woman on the front cover had blonde hair, but my heroine was a brunette!'

i'd love some simple illustrations in a book every now and then, a little sketch at the beginning of each chapter of some bit of scenery or something. not the characters, but of the bustling port or spaceship interior or Tudor house just in case the reader doesn't recognize the description until they see it.

veingloree

As far as I am aware graphic novels are very big, but they are part of the comic industry not the prose industry. I have a shelf full of them and plenty of people make a living writing and/or drawing them. Many are as effective as a novel in conveying their messages, e.g. Maus.

maestrowork

I enjoy graphic novels (or comic books, as they used to call them). The good ones are truly fascinating. Unfortunately, like everything else, there are tripes out there to ruin the pot.

But when I read a novel, I don't like illustrations that much. That's why I thought the "Illustrated Da Vinci Code" was kind of silly. With fiction, I like to be taken away by the words and use my own imagination. The less distraction the better. But I do love a good illustrated non-fiction.

Jamesaritchie

I love woodcut engravings in a novel. Simple line drawings, and such like.

Writing Again

Graphic novels are far more mainstream in other countries where personal freedom is not permitted as much and therefore morals do not have to be protected quite so vigorously.

In the U.S. comics started making the move toward mainstream literature at the same time as controls were sought against comics of every description before they corrupted American youth and turned them into mindless zombies dedicated to Satan and sex.

I believe the codes describing what defines comics and what they can and cannot do are still written and enforceable, but have been ignored by all for a long time.

Ruukah

It's awesome that you made this post, because it just so happens that I'm working on a graphic novel of my own as we speak! :D

I think you'll find that most graphic novels on the market today are either Manga or Marvel; 99.999999% fantasy genre. I'm hoping to change that a bit with my own creation (though I'm quite aware of the odds stacked against me).

mr mistook

It would be nice to see graphic novels evolve into something that went beyond sheer fantasy. It would be nice to see a hybrid of graphic and prose.

veingloree

I think all of these are thing are out there. It may just take a trip to a good indie comic shop. Stranger in Paradise, Maus, Tale of one Bad Rat are all great literature level graphic. poison elves uses and almost even blend of pictures and text. The edge between comics and books is already very blurred and graphic can be checked out of many public libraries in the States or UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.