Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

D James

How important is the title of your book?

A novel came into work yesterday. The cover is wonderful. The premise looks interesting. Definitely a work I could sell to 8-10 year old girls looking for a fun, adventurous read.

Can I recommend it?

First I have to stop giggling every time I read the title, "A Load of Unicorns."

(sigh)

James

emeraldcite

i think i would prefer "a gaggle of unicorns"

how "corny" is that?

James D Macdonald

First I have to stop giggling every time I read the title, "A Load of Unicorns."

Well, it's probably better than A Dump of Unicorns, and way better than Compressed Unicorn, Palletized, Eleven Metric Tons, FOB Chicago.

KLH

I dunno, James - that second option sounds like something I'd expect from James Thurber, and how could you go wrong with that?

(I'm having visions of unicorns packed in peanuts now.)

maestrowork

A Bag of Unicorns?
A Tub of Unicorns?
Large Unicorns with coke?

James D Macdonald

"Compressed Unicorn, Palletized, Eleven Metric Tons, FOB Chicago" is a short-story title, not a novel title. The shorter the work, the longer the title, y'know.

D James

A Load of ... What?

"Load of Unicorns" is a printing press term (apparently) and is what the novel is about. I'm taking it home this weekend to read (it's about the take-over of the printing press and the scribes it subsequently put out of business).

Sounds great. Just gotta stop laughing!

James

pdr

titles

I hope you do enjoy the book, James, it's good, but isn't the title 'A Load of Unicorn'?

I think it is the same novel as the children's historical novel I read a long time ago written by Cynthia Harnet. (Or Harnett?) Mind you the copy I have was printed back in the 1950s by a British publisher. Perhaps the title was changed when the book was reprinted for your US market?

D James

There I go, adding letters at the end of a name again!

Yes, the correct title is "A Load of Unicorn" and it is the same novel you remember.

Glad to hear I'm in for a good read.

More good reads:
Doctor Illuminatus by Martin Booth
Wolf Brother by Michelle Paver

James

Hapsburg

Re: There I go, adding letters at the end of a name again!

A plethora of unicorn?

"Out damn spot, out!" from the book Dick and Jane

mr mistook

What the hell were the ODDS that somebody else on this board had not only read "Load of Unicorn", but could name the publisher and author?

Flawed Creation

I think titles are very important. As i see it, Titles serve a number of purposes.

they are an effective marketing tool. not only do, when bropwsing a book store, tend to pick up books with intriguing titles, but the title can convey the genre or theme of a book.

"star wars" sounds like what it is, space opera. "dragon Prince", while having little to do with the plot itself, conveys the fact that it's about a prince, which is crucial to the book.

a title can convey a sense of hope or despair, inform the reader how dark the book is likely to be, or hint at the most interesting and important part of the book. a title is what your book will be identified by, so i would think something catchy and pronounceable would be good.

HConn

This gives me an idea for a story.

Risseybug

Doctor Illuminatus by Martin Booth

I just picked this up yesterday. I needed something new to read to inspire my middle grade WIP. I looks great, and I've only read the first few pages.
The sequel comes out in the spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.