Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave.C.Robinson

... with the High Command
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daverobinsonwrites.com
I'm working on getting some submissions out and wonder if it's worth mentioning that I'm a former bookstore manager in my query letter? It's not a sale by any means, but it does show awareness of the industry.

Thanks.

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to disagree with maestrowork and say mention it.

I wouldn't dwell on it, but it does show that you more than likely have a familiarity with books.

As most here do, I know books. Especially current books. I'm in the bookstores every week, sometimes multiple times. I spend most of my money on books. This was something that my agent had me tell editors during the auction process for my novel.

And that had nothing to do with my writing, obviously -- but it did have to do with my familiarity with current writing. And that can be important, because it shows editors that you have some notions about how your book might be marketed.

Maybe something like "I'm a former bookstore manager whose first novel..." in the query.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
I think a casual mention such as Will suggests would be fine. It falls into the category of general biographical information, after all. By mentioning it without making a big deal of it, you leave it open for those agents who would be impressed to be impressed -- and those agents who won't be impressed also won't think you were playing it up too much.

mysterygrl

Registered
Reaction score
I'd be inclined to mention it, but yeah, I wouldn't make a big deal out of it. (Something like, "I'm a former bookstore manager and currently write full-time.")

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd agree with the idea of mentioning it but not drawing undue attention to it. Just note it as an item in the bio section of your query.

Dave.C.Robinson

... with the High Command
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daverobinsonwrites.com
I'll probably put the minor mention in. No point leaving it out, but no point drawing attention to it either. (I will, on the other hand, leave out my brief stint answering phones at a vanity press).

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
LOL!

Maybe in my query I should leave out how I used to manage a roller rink during the disco era....

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Credits

What matters is how well you write, not how much you know about the industry. It won't count for zilch. Write a good novel and you don't need to know a thing about the industry. Write a bad novel and all the industry knowledge in the world won't help.

It doesn't hurt to place such information in the biography portion of a query, but it really doesn't help, either.

After you have an agent, however, the fact may have some value.

Status
Not open for further replies.