Advice on my next step.

Status
Not open for further replies.

writing diva05

I recently finished my manuscript after spending months on revisions and tweaking it. I feel it's ready to go but don't know what would be the best next step. I've done some (nothing to talk about) freelance writing for a couple small time magazines, but nothing this fantastic.

My manuscript is a crime drama/romance and I'd really like to know if anyone can give me some tips on my next steps.

I've picked a couple of small time publishers hoping it would get through easier, especially if they like it. The problem I'm also having is the synopsis and query. Is there anyone that can help me or give me a site where I can see what they look like and how to put together. As you can see, I'm pretty much green here and would appreciate any and all help.

Thanks,
Diva

novelator

Check out my website, should come up below my signature. I've got a whole page of links to synopsis--just go to writer resources. Should be some query advice in there, too.

Good luck on your work.

Mari

katdad

Write a 1-page query and a 2-3 page synopsis. There are plenty of good guides for this, as you can see.

Next, get ready to send out queries to agencies and publishers.

The new 2005 "Novel & Short Story" market reference book is now available from Writer's Market. Costs about 25 bucks.

James D Macdonald

I've picked a couple of small time publishers hoping it would get through easier, especially if they like it.

Why shoot low?

Nateskate

Great resource novelator, I glanced through your links, and they were great. Thanks for the work you put into that. I had the same question as Writing Diva, and I'm sure many others will also benefit from your site.

novelator

Nateskate,

Thanks so much for your comments and recommendation. I really appreciate that.

Mari

writing diva05

I'm shooting low because I have no experience in writing. This is my first manuscript and although I do believe in it, I've heard horror and heartbreaking stories of sharks in the publishing industry. Just want to get published and go from there. Don't know how else to go about it.

Stace001

Diva,
Rather than shooting low, why not just do a little research on the different Publishers and find the ones (large or small) who deal with your genre and send it to them. You might be surprised.
Just because it's your first novel doesn't mean it's not a great manuscript. Believe in your writing and go for it!

katdad

No, no, no. Don't shoot low. It won't help you and you may actually get caught up with a 'shark' more easily.

If your writing is good, it will find its way into print, eventually.

Go for the top and work your way down, as I see it.

Conduct a search for a publisher or agent just like you would for a job. Think of your query as a "resume".

You're going to have to inure yourself to rejection anyway. Why not get rejected by a big agency or publisher? (ha ha)

Seriously, don't aim high or low. Aim for the publisher or agency that best fits your book and writing. That's why I recommended the Writer's Market 2005 list book.

writing diva05

After reading all your responses, I have to say I'm glad I wrote for advice. I need to re-think my steps and do some more homework before submitting. Thanks

Jamesaritchie

I've heard horror and heartbreaking stories of sharks in the publishing industry. Just want to get published and go from there. Don't know how else to go about it.

Most shark attacks occur in shallow water. Publishing is much the same. The higher you aim, the less likely it is you'll encounter a shark. Bit time agents and big time publishers aren't sharks, they're the best protection against sharks. It's when you start getting away from this protection, it's ever mor elikely whoever you meet will be a shark.

katdad

If you go to the Writer's Digest website:

www.writersdigest.com

Look for the book "2005 Novel & Short Story market". It's a big book containing a comprehesive catalog of publishers and agencies. The index lists them by category and genre. You can buy it online and it costs about 25 bucks. It's also available in larger bookstores.

The book has the addresses, and all the submission requirements (whether to send a synopsis, whether they accept email queries, etc.)

That's the next step I recommend.

Status
Not open for further replies.