PDA

View Full Version : Babylon 5

ChunkyC
06-29-2007, 03:33 AM
Check this out, B5 fans:

Babylon 5: The Lost Tales (http://babylon5.warnerbros.com/index.php?section=trailer)

Is that PeeDee I hear running? ;)

Rolling Thunder
06-29-2007, 03:36 AM
*slobbers*

Um...pardon me.

Cassiopeia
06-29-2007, 04:29 AM
I have only recently gotten into the Babylon 5 series and I am looking forward to seeing the new movie.

Serenity
06-29-2007, 04:38 AM
:hooray: :hooray: :hooray: :hooray: :hooray: :hooray: :hooray: :hooray: :hooray: :hooray:

Serenity
06-29-2007, 04:42 AM
okay, still bouncing, but better able to type.

I adored B5. From the first episode to the movies and even Crusade (which would have been phenomenal too, had TNT just let JMS do his thing) I have watched it all. Several times.

And I have had the honor of meeting Richard Biggs, Jason Carter, and Andrea Thompson. I will be meeting Claudia Christian in two weeks at Shore Leave in Baltimore. I can't wait.

LloydBrown
06-29-2007, 06:50 AM
Claudia Christian is playing in a session of the Babylon 5 role-playing game at a convention run by Mongoose Publishing, the people who put out the B5 RPG. She'll be playing the part of her character, Susan Ivanova, of course.

I don't have the details, but I'm sure they're on the Mongoose website if anyone is interested. I'm sure it'll be in the UK because that's where they're based.

Ab_Normal
06-29-2007, 08:03 PM
Not enough Garibaldi, waaay too much Lockley, IMHO. (Won't stop me from getting it, of course. I'll just whine as only a fan-girl can. ;) )

Norma

Serenity
06-29-2007, 09:56 PM
Yeah, I never liked Lachley either.

Cath
06-29-2007, 10:00 PM
:e2woo:

That's one of Edward Woodward's offspring too, isn't it? He looks like his dad.

Cassiopeia
06-30-2007, 02:15 AM
Not enough Garibaldi, waaay too much Lockley, IMHO. (Won't stop me from getting it, of course. I'll just whine as only a fan-girl can. ;) )

NormaI have to admit, I agree with you here. There is never enough Garibaldi. ;)

jvc
06-30-2007, 02:17 AM
I couldn't get enough of B5 when it was on TV, it's a shame it only had a five year run. The movies were good, although I liked Crusade, it wasn't as good as the original series. The best of the movies IMO was the one they made about the Earth Minbari war (set 10 years before the the time of the station B5).

Serenity
06-30-2007, 03:15 AM
I couldn't get enough of B5 when it was on TV, it's a shame it only had a five year run. The movies were good, although I liked Crusade, it wasn't as good as the original series. The best of the movies IMO was the one they made about the Earth Minbari war (set 10 years before the the time of the station B5).

In the Beginning. And yes, it was one of the best movies they did. Although I really liked the Crusade set-up movie, A Call to Arms.

JMS only had a five year plan for B5, then some ideas for an offshoot story or two. They were lucky they got in the fifth season, it was the only one that had some doubt right up until the last minute.

Oh, and Cath? That's Peter Woodward, and he is dreamy... and don't get me started on his voice.

CheshireCat
06-30-2007, 06:18 AM
JMS only had a five year plan for B5, then some ideas for an offshoot story or two. They were lucky they got in the fifth season, it was the only one that had some doubt right up until the last minute.

And it's the major reason why season four seems a bit rushed, especially toward the end, that uncertainty about whether he'd be able to tie up plotlines and satisfy fans. I'm betting the Shadow war would have gone on longer if JMS had been certain of that fifth season.

I love B5, have since the beginning. And the show is a tremendous lesson for any writer in how to tell an epic story; the foreshadowing in the very first episode is incredible. So is the way JMS turns your expectations about characters inside-out.

To paraphrase G'Kar, nobody on Babylon 5 is exactly who or what they seem to be. Which is especially true of G'Kar.

Serenity
06-30-2007, 06:43 AM
To paraphrase G'Kar, nobody on Babylon 5 is exactly who or what they seem to be. Which is especially true of G'Kar.

And this was what I loved about the show. Nobody ended up in the same place where they started. Everyone changed. All hail the Great Maker, JMS. The man has such a way of telling a story.

Left field thought: if he and Joss Whedon were to collaborate on a series, it would so kick ass!

Cassiopeia
06-30-2007, 06:53 AM
At first, the first season was very hard for me to get...but by this third, yes that is all the farther I am, I really enjoy it. I think it was the CGI that I couldn't get past but once you start paying attention to the plot and the writing you get lost in it.

zpeteman
06-30-2007, 06:56 AM
I thought it was planned as a 4-year arc and they talked JMS into stretching it to five...hence the lame, tacked-on fifth season.

If there's no G'kar and no Londo, what's the point of Lost Tales, pfft.

Serenity
06-30-2007, 07:06 AM
At first, the first season was very hard for me to get...but by this third, yes that is all the farther I am, I really enjoy it. I think it was the CGI that I couldn't get past but once you start paying attention to the plot and the writing you get lost in it.

The first season did sputter a bit, trying to find its legs. But the second was better, and I loved the third season. Passing Through Gethsemane simply was one of the best episodes of any series I've ever seen. Brad Dourif was phenomenal. It was the only time I had ever written a show's creator about a particular episode, and JMS actually wrote back! Classy.

Cassiopeia
06-30-2007, 07:07 AM
I thought it was planned as a 4-year arc and they talked JMS into stretching it to five...hence the lame, tacked-on fifth season.

If there's no G'kar and no Londo, what's the point of Lost Tales, pfft.That's odd, I could have sworn it was that the fourth and fifth seasons were the best and that he had planned for a sixth...but I could be wrong and not remember what the person said to me who got me interested in watching them in the first place.

Cassiopeia
06-30-2007, 07:09 AM
The first season did sputter a bit, trying to find its legs. But the second was better, and I loved the third season. Passing Through Gethsemane simply was one of the best episodes of any series I've ever seen. Brad Dourif was phenomenal. It was the only time I had ever written a show's creator about a particular episode, and JMS actually wrote back! Classy.I just saw Gethsemane yesterday, I bawled my eyes out. Excellent writing.

Serenity
06-30-2007, 07:12 AM

If there's no G'kar and no Londo, what's the point of Lost Tales, pfft.

Five planned seasons. Mid-fourth, the fifth season was in doubt. They taped Sleeping in Light (the series finale) during the fourth season just in case there wasn't a fifth. When they got the green light to film season five, JMS set aside Sleeping in Light and quick-filmed The Deconstruction of Falling Stars to take its place as the season 4 finale.

Serenity
06-30-2007, 07:17 AM
I just saw Gethsemane yesterday, I bawled my eyes out. Excellent writing.

I cried too, Cassie. Everything about that ep from start to finish is incredible, in my ever so humble opinion.

Bit of trivia- the actor who played Brother Theo (Louis Turenne) was the original actor who played Draal. Draal was taken over by John Schuck in later episodes. Actually, they did that a lot- recycle actors.

Cassiopeia
06-30-2007, 07:21 AM
I cried too, Cassie. Everything about that ep from start to finish is incredible, in my ever so humble opinion.

Bit of trivia- the actor who played Brother Theo (Louis Turenne) was the original actor who played Draal. Draal was taken over by John Schuck in later episodes. Actually, they did that a lot- recycle actors.My son is watching them with me, *yeah gave in and bought them when I couldn't get them on blockbuster online quick enough* ;) and he liked the episode with the interrogator who was meant to be Jack the Ripper.

He said those were some of the best lines in any show he has seen. I have to say I agree with him on this third season. It is awesome stuff.

Serenity
06-30-2007, 07:32 AM
My son is watching them with me, *yeah gave in and bought them when I couldn't get them on blockbuster online quick enough* ;) and he liked the episode with the interrogator who was meant to be Jack the Ripper.

He said those were some of the best lines in any show he has seen. I have to say I agree with him on this third season. It is awesome stuff.

Another of my favorites: Comes the Inquisitor. :o You'll see Wayne Alexander return as another character in Season 5.

ChunkyC
06-30-2007, 06:51 PM
Serenity has it dead on about how the seasons played out. JMS always had it planned out as a five year arc, but was forced to cram stuff into season 4 when renewal was in doubt.

I really liked Crusade. Compare it to the first season of B5 and you can see the potential for another incredible 5 year series was there, but the dillholes in programming wouldn't renew it. I really wish he could have kept going with it.

dpaterso
06-30-2007, 07:05 PM
Death to the Minbari! We would'a whupped their bony asses if they hadn't retreated when they did.

...Sorry, that just slipped out.

-Derek

ChunkyC
06-30-2007, 09:59 PM
Death to the Minbari! We would'a whupped their bony asses if they hadn't retreated when they did.

...Sorry, that just slipped out.

-Derek
LOL!

Speaking of Minbari ... Mira Furlan (Delenn) was originally slated to be the media guest of honour at NASFic (http://www.archonstl.org/31/index2.html), but she dropped out 'coz she got an acting gig over in Europe. I was so looking forward to doing my President Sheridan impersonation for her. :e2brows: Oh well.

dpaterso
06-30-2007, 11:39 PM
I was so looking forward to doing my President Sheridan impersonation for her. :e2brows: Oh well.
What, you mean throwing yourself bodily into the convention's communal toilet pit to escape destruction as your glowing ship plunges down through the roof? Yeah she'd have been putty in your hands after witnessing that faithful reenactment. Next time for sure!

-Derek

jvc
07-01-2007, 12:00 AM
What, you mean throwing yourself bodily into the convention's communal toilet pit to escape destruction as your glowing ship plunges down through the roof? Yeah she'd have been putty in your hands after witnessing that faithful reenactment. Next time for sure!

-Derek
I've just had an idea for another auction :D .

ChunkyC
07-01-2007, 02:01 AM

-Derek
You were at rehearsals, weren't you? ;)

CheshireCat
07-01-2007, 11:03 PM
And this was what I loved about the show. Nobody ended up in the same place where they started. Everyone changed. All hail the Great Maker, JMS. The man has such a way of telling a story.

Left field thought: if he and Joss Whedon were to collaborate on a series, it would so kick ass!

Ain't that the truth.

Another of my favorites: Comes the Inquisitor. :o You'll see Wayne Alexander return as another character in Season 5.

Two of the most fascinating "secondary" characters in the whole series.

Dammit. I miss B5 as badly as I miss Buffy. And Angel. And Firefly.

My agent, also a Joss fan, once had the idea that if we could tap into the fandom resources, and get every fan to pledge somewhere between ten and a hundred bucks a year, we could finance Joss and to hell with production companies and networks.

She was quite passionate about the idea. :e2cheer:

jvc
07-05-2007, 03:21 AM
For those in the UK, they are showing Crusade on the Sci Fi channel at the moment, it just started up this week.

Cassiopeia
07-05-2007, 04:58 AM
For those in the UK, they are showing Crusade on the Sci Fi channel at the moment, it just started up this week.
More shows?! Eeks! I am still getting through the series AND I didn't know there was a pilot episode along with some additional movies! I am never going to sleep again! :D

dpaterso
07-05-2007, 03:50 PM
I'd forgotten how bloody infuriating that Technomage fella was. Every bit as bad as Marcus in B5.

-Derek

jvc
07-05-2007, 11:03 PM
I'd forgotten how bloody infuriating that Technomage fella was. Every bit as bad as Marcus in B5.

-Derek
I actually liked Marcus in B5, although I agree with you about that stupid Technomage, he is bloody infuriating. I always get the impression they wanted him to be the old wise and powerful Vorlon character, but it comes across as more than a little corny.

Serenity
07-05-2007, 11:23 PM
Did you ever read the series of B5 books dealing with the Technomages? It explains a *lot* about their backstory that JMS was never able to get into during the series. A lot of things would have been revealed had Crusade gone on longer.

Cassiopeia
07-09-2007, 11:08 AM
*sigh* I finished the first five seasons of Babylon 5 now. *sniff* That last episode killed me. *points to her dead body* I just can't believe how well written and sucky it was at the same time. I didn't like the ending cos it MADE ME CRY!

Oh and btw, for those of you who have seen me post about my muse being Vincent D'Onofrio. Not anymore.

Yep, that's right. It's Jerry Doyle. Mr. Garibaldi himself. Ya gotta love the bad head and hairy chest. *can't believe I just typed that* :tongue

LOG
05-25-2011, 07:21 AM
Just started watching this on Netflix.
I'm on the 3rd season. Marcus is the best character in the series yet.

Thesaintterrapin
05-25-2011, 09:43 PM
Ive just got into Bab5, was sceptical at first as imo nothing could better star trek, however season 1 down and i think i maybe wrong, im told it just gets better with each series.

LOG
05-25-2011, 10:42 PM
Ive just got into Bab5, was sceptical at first as imo nothing could better star trek, however season 1 down and i think i maybe wrong, im told it just gets better with each series.

I would have to say that it's superior to Star Trek in certain respects. Mainly due to the more focused storyline and themes. Star Trek is episodic, B5 is definitely not.

firedrake
05-25-2011, 10:49 PM
One of the satellite channels is showing repeats here at the weekends. It's the third time I've seen it (the last time was 9 years ago) and it still holds up after all this time.

I love it and now my son loves it too. :D

DavidZahir
05-26-2011, 06:33 AM
One of my faves was when Marcus and the Doctor went to Mars.

Zoombie
05-26-2011, 07:03 AM
I LOVE BABYLON 5 SO MUCH THAT I OWN BOTH EDITIONS OF THE RPG!!!!!!!!

Manuel Royal
05-26-2011, 06:51 PM
Did you ever read the series of B5 books dealing with the Technomages? It explains a *lot* about their backstory that JMS was never able to get into during the series. A lot of things would have been revealed had Crusade gone on longer.
God, I hate the Technomages (on the show, anyway). Seemed like a terrible idea. I'll be impressed if somebody's made a good story out of them.

Zoombie
05-26-2011, 09:44 PM
SPOILERS

They're actually people using shadow tech against the shadows.

That's what I've sussed out at least.

LOG
05-29-2011, 09:04 AM
I just finished "Into the Fire" from season 4.
It was so satisfying that I'm not sure I want to continue...

firedrake
05-29-2011, 11:24 AM
I just finished "Into the Fire" from season 4.
It was so satisfying that I'm not sure I want to continue...

That was my all time favorite episode. Brilliant!

Zoombie
05-29-2011, 11:30 AM
My all time favorite is Shattered Dreams. I loved the entire Earth civil war plotline.

Ambri
05-29-2011, 11:52 AM
B5 is my favorite SF series, hands down. I love the depth of the character development, especially the G'Kar and Londo character arcs. They start out the bitterest of enemies and end up . . . well, not exactly friends, but certainly no longer clear-cut enemies any longer. Their motivations and conflicts were always well-drawn, even when you, as the viewer, deplored what they were doing (bombing Narn into the Stone Age, anyone?)

LOG
05-29-2011, 08:45 PM
One problem I keep having with B5 is just how weak the Vorlons and Shadows are.
They're supposed to be thousand and thousand years, millions even, older than everyone else. A few hundred years of technology and you would be practically untouchable if you went back in human history. After thousands and millions of years the Vorlons and Shadows shouldn't be capable of being destroyed as easily as they are in the series. They make a big deal out of the Shadows power and their weakness to telepaths (which I still don't understand why they haven't corrected such a weakness) but it's just not enough.
The two should be even more powerful, or their age should have been less.

CrastersBabies
05-27-2013, 07:25 AM
Holy resurrection, Batman!

Just finished up at the Phoenix Comicon (Babylon 5 20th Anniversary). It rocked. It so so so rocked.

Liralen
05-27-2013, 08:12 AM
This is one series I wish I had on DVD. Favorite Sci-fi series EVER.

CrastersBabies
05-27-2013, 09:06 AM
This is one series I wish I had on DVD. Favorite Sci-fi series EVER.

It is amazing! And the actors and creator were truly genuine and marvelous people. :)

Zoombie
05-27-2013, 10:30 AM
I has all the DVD sets.

My favorite thing is that it is very clear that the cast and crew had just seen Galaxy Quest, because in half the commentaries that have the cast instead of J.M.S, Bruce Boxlightner will go, "You know...Galaxy Quest was exactly right about how it is to work on this kind of show."

Seriously, though, I love Babylon 5.