Do you give your agent a christmas present

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ty T

I was just wondering whether any of you give your agents christmas presents. Seeing as I haven't been with mine for that long I didn't bother sending one just wished him a merry christmas but what do the rest of you do. Also do you reckon people like JK Rowling and Steven King and that send like cards to their publishers,

Writing Again

I would say it depends on your relationship to these people. Do you have their home phone numbers? Do you stop by for a visit at their house when you are in town? Have you been introduced informally to their spouse and children?

If not I would suggest exchanging cards if you are a card person.

michelle217

Absolutely. I feel so blessed to have gotten a great agent, he got a box of Godiva truffles from me last week. I didn't think twice about sending it to him.

pianoman5

Hey, Michelle, it's great that you have a good agent and that you're kindly and generously disposed towards him.

But remember, it's a professional relationship, and as the recipient of (say) 15% of your income he ought to be sending you an even bigger box of truffles.

As Uncle Jim reminds us repeatedly, in traditional publishing the rule is that money and chocolate flow towards the author.

Irysangel

Um, I do accounting, and while it's not exactly the same thing, I have a specific list of 200 clients that I deal with on a day to day basis.

I *LOVE* it when they send me gifts or greeting cards. When I got married, I got a present from one of my least favorite clients, and it really caused me to do a 180 on how I felt about her.

Maybe it's shallow, but in a service industry (and I'm sure agents are included) it's nice to be appreciated, even if it's just for doing the job you're paid to do.

Karen Ranney

The care and feeding of agents and editors

Once upon a time I used to send my editor a little something. No longer. I have never sent my agent anything other than my best wishes for a happy holiday. And I really, really respect and like both my agent and my editor.

maestrowork

presents

For me, with business relationships, I'd stick with cards and wishes. If the person works FOR you, then I think a small holiday gift would be nice. But for peers or agents/editors, I'd just do cards personally.

Stace001

I like Pianoman5's comments on the etiquette of Christmas gifts. 15% comm on whatever you're making is a pretty good xmas pressie in itself.:D .

Having said that, if my relationship with my agent was a close one, or friendly at least, then yes, i probably would send my agent a small gift.:)

Gala

Of course.

To save time in my old age, my rule is: If I have to wonder if I should commit an act of kindness, the answer is yes.

katdad

I only sent a card. I think that's appropriate.

Of course if your agent has made a buncha dough for you, and you're personally closer than a simple business relationship, then a small gift might be fine.

arrowqueen

I send all my editors, plus my foreign agent a card and a 'wee minding' - but then I've had them for over ten years.

Besides, as Gala said, when in adoubt over an act of kindness, go for it!

Cheers - and a Merry Christmas to you all.

aq

www.jacquielawson.com/vie...mpv=XS05EN

(Don't know if that will work, but worth a try.)

preyer

even a card is something i'm prone not to do. i still get x-mas cards from my ex-insurance agent. she's 'ex' for a reason, and when i get a card from her, and any salesman basically (like cards from the guy i bought my last car from), it feels pretty insincere. i also don't worry about offending these people. after all, they work on commission. it's not like they baked me a tin of my favourite cookies and sent me flowers. in a nutshell, if they don't send me a birthday card, they can shove their x-mas card b/c i'm taking that as a sales gimmick.

and a gift? jeez, that's going a little far. i know writers can be a lonely bunch, but, damn, that's a bit clingy, ain't it? if they really gave a damn, they'd call me on the phone other than signing their names to one of a hundred identical cards you buy in bulk. you can always tell the difference. i agree with the sentiment that if i'm paying people's mortgage, i don't owe them any more. i've done enough.

if they, by chance, became a friend in the process, and i've had this happen, sure, that's different, but then you're not buying for a salesperson, you're buying for a friend, and presumably you know what to get them without having to guess at it. if anything, i'd send an agent an e-mail wishing him and his a good one. i'm not a damn stamp machine. hell, i might even go so far as doing one of those 'personalized' electronic greeting cards.

as a result, i'll probably never play santa in the community playhouse. darn.

Jamesaritchie

If we've been together for a time, then, yes, I send agent and editor a small present. Just a token, really. I don't do it because I owe them anything, that's a poor reason to give anyone a present, I do it simply because it's the nice thing to do.

Nor do I do it because I'm clingy, or because they do or don't send me something, or because I'm worried about offending them, although I think offending anyone needlessly is a bad idea.

I do it because it's the nice thing to do, and also, I guess, because if all your agent and editor are to you is seller and buyer, you definitely need a new agent and editor.

Writing Again

I'm the kind of person who becomes good friends with almost every person I deal with for any length of time. However I never push closeness.

I'm also kind of like a cat myself, I'm shy of someone who is too friendly too fast or more friendly than the situation calls for. I also demand a sense of humor in anyone I am close to. Therefore I always allow the other person whatever privacy they require.

I will not be in too big a hurry to find an agent. There is no point in my even attempting a long term relationship of any sort with someone who cannot appreciate a lunatic. Sooner or later I would turn serious, and that invariably means, "Good bye, I'm outta here."

michelle217

True, he does get 15%. But I think that because of him I got 85%. Perhaps next year it will just be a card, but this year, a sale went through three weeks ago and I'm feeling quite generous. I give gifts to almost everybody I know. It's not like I buy them a blow up doll of myself or anything weirdly personal. Just a little generic somethin'. I buy my day job boss a gift too.

SRHowen

My take

is that an agent is a partner--you get your % they get theirs.

They don't work for you, you work together to sell your book and to make your career.

That said, I am so broke this year that I can't afford the name tags for gifts much less the gifts to go inside the box. So I didn't even send cards--to anyone.

Shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.