Not open for further replies.

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Did Cathy go to ground to get a book finished before conference? 'Cause I haven't seen her around. Just hoping everything is cool with her!

(I'm wondering, at the megalit signing at National, where I will find her -- up in the A's with her writing partner, or if she will be sitting on her own, under the C's, with her own pile of their books. Anybody know?)

Anybody else going to Dallas in two weeks-ish?

Susan G.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Yeah, I sort of went to ground, I'm afraid. Got copyedits on one book rather suddenly (which I just finished), and am struggling with writing the next one. It's kicking my a** on world-building. But I'm perservering. :)

Will be looking forward to meeting you guys in Dallas! Far as I know, I'll be sitting in the "Cs" since my wonderful co-author, Cie won't be able to attend. Would like to get together with y'all, if we can figure out a time. Wednesday is completely out--I'm booked wall to wall until after midnight. :eek:

Susan, are you going to the PAN retreat? The panel of book distributors looks fascinating! :)

Sandy J

In a state of denial...
Registered
Reaction score
Anybody else going to Dallas in two weeks-ish?

I'm heading to Dallas. Conference virgin, and I'm sure they'll eat me alive. ;) I'll finally get to meet my agent face to face, and I've got an editor appointment with a lady I really want to pitch.

Sandy J

In a state of denial...
Registered
Reaction score
:Huh: You have an agent and you're pitching? Did you set up the pitch before you got the agent? Does your agent mind?

I checked with my agent first. This particular editor hasn't responded to my agent's emails and has had my partial for quite a while. I just wanted a face to face with her. It's a group appointment though...

Crinklish

Registered
Reaction score
I'll be there! I'll try to pop by the literacy signing and say hello. Mind you, I'm planning to spend most of RWA half-drunk and hysterical because I'm getting married the next week. :eek:

Sandy J

In a state of denial...
Registered
Reaction score
I'll be there! I'll try to pop by the literacy signing and say hello. Mind you, I'm planning to spend most of RWA half-drunk and hysterical because I'm getting married the next week. :eek:

I'll probably spend the convention half-drunk and hysterical because I will feel like an imposter. Someone will point at me and shout, "She's not a REAL writer!"

Sonarbabe

Working In A Coal Mine...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
Okay, everybody knows the rules.... Tons of pictures and the instant y'all have recovered from the trip, you come here and sufficiently make me jealous. It's a staple since I've been to this board. You won't disappoint me, right guys? Guys?

*cricket chirps*

Damn. LOL;)

Josie

Registered
Reaction score
Ah yes, tons of photos and back here afterwards with a complete run-down of your escapades, sober is good....also if some are half-drunk maybe they'll remember, and maybe not...:) Congrats Crinklish!! :partyguy:

Cheers

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
My husband and I will be there, but I don't take pictures at these sorts of things (I never go anywhere that has interesting visuals) and don't allow my picture to be made at any time.

I never socialize; just go to the classes, then back to my hotel room. I've yet to attend any of the receptions or lunches or anything else like that. I only peeped in the swag room once. However, I hope everyone has fun and learns a lot.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com

Sounds like a BACHELORETTE PARTY in the making to me! :partyguy: What'cha think guys? Should we throw her a party at National?

Sandy J

In a state of denial...
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a BACHELORETTE PARTY in the making to me! :partyguy: What'cha think guys? Should we throw her a party at National?

Sounds like fun! If you want me there, you just need to find the newbie wandering around aimlessly because she has not a clue as to where to be or what to do!

I hadn't thought about taking a camera, but now I will! :D Maybe I can get some good blackmail pics! The hardest thing for me will be leaving my laptop behind. I thought about taking it, but I imagine I'll be too busy to write and I don't want to lug it around where it could get broken/stolen. If my muse makes the trip, I can always resort to long hand, old-fashioned as it is. ;)

Sonarbabe

Working In A Coal Mine...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com

Oh, yeaaah! Pictures galore. I feel the green-eyed monster--no, not my daughter--coming out already. I wanna see champagne, lots of smiling faces and of course the male stripper.

We just won't tell Mr. Sonarbabe....

Susan Gable

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com

I'm with that! Sounds like great fun! :) Hmmmm...how to plot this? <G> Well, we're writers, I'm pretty sure we do plotting. <G>

Cath, I will find you at the signing. The best part about not having a book to sign is that I am MOBILE and get to see everyone who is trapped at the signing. :)

Jodi, you're missing out on a LOT at conference! Most writers are hermits by nature, but we have a load of fun when we put ourselves out there.

Sonar, I'm usually toting my camera everywhere. I will try to be good again this year about posting pics, okay? :)

Sandy, honestly, most people are very welcoming. If you need a place to sit for a meal or something, approach a table with some empty seats and just say, "Is anyone sitting here?"

My first year, at the welcome reception, Roz Denny Fox and Ken Casper (two Super authors), along with their spouses, sat down at a table with me, still wet behing the ears, and they TALKED TO ME. Like I was a real writer and everything. <G> Is it any wonder I adore both of them? :)

But I think you will find that's generally the case. We ALL have something to talk about -- and that's writing. It's a terrific conversation opener.

We should try to do something. Especially with our Crinklish getting married the week after that. We totally need to drink to that. :)

Susan G.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
I'll be there, talking to authors until I go hoarse. Although one or two might avoid me when they see "All About Romance" on my badge. Ahem. (Luckily, from what I hear, most authors know better. :D))

I've been avoiding buying (most) romances this past month because I don't want to get there and have to pass up a signed copy of the same romance I just bought at Target. :D That's OK, I've been going through a true crime phase lately. The perfect way to prepare for RWA. :rolleyes:

Susan Gable

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
I'll be there, talking to authors until I go hoarse. Although one or two might avoid me when they see "All About Romance" on my badge. Ahem. (Luckily, from what I hear, most authors know better. :D))

I've been avoiding buying (most) romances this past month because I don't want to get there and have to pass up a signed copy of the same romance I just bought at Target. :D That's OK, I've been going through a true crime phase lately. The perfect way to prepare for RWA. :rolleyes:

LOL!

Anne, only one of my books got reviewed at AAR, and I was VERY happy with it. Because when you get a "decent" review at AAR, it really means something. (It was kind of funny. I think it opened with the reviewer saying she only bought my book because she was desperate, or something like that. LOL!)

Now, if it really slashed my book, I might not want to read it. Because that kind of thing really can do damage to a writer's psyche. (At least, it can mine. <G>) But...everyone's entitled to their opinion, and I know I can't satisfy everyone, all the time. Just doesn't work that way. So while I might not want to read that review...the reviewer can go ahead and say it. <G> (I'll just quietly agree to disagree with it. <G>)

I'll be looking for you!

Susan G.

Sandy J

In a state of denial...
Registered
Reaction score

I imagine you sometimes wish for a moment just to catch your breath. It wouldn't surprise me if authors corner you every place you go trying to tell you about their manuscript. One thing I promised myself was that I wouldn't try to pitch every editor in sight. I'll just pitch at the appointment I have. I think the rest of the time I shall just be taking it all in with a note of awe.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
I imagine you sometimes wish for a moment just to catch your breath. It wouldn't surprise me if authors corner you every place you go trying to tell you about their manuscript. One thing I promised myself was that I wouldn't try to pitch every editor in sight. I'll just pitch at the appointment I have. I think the rest of the time I shall just be taking it all in with a note of awe.
Hmm, maybe I'll be approached by authors who want me to review their books?... Luckily, I don't review for AAR anymore. So if they ask me to review their books, I can send them off to the appropriate link on the site, and then ask them if they want to contribute a column for At the Back Fence. Hah! That'll show 'em.
:roll:

Sandy J

In a state of denial...
Registered
Reaction score
Writer Imposter Syndrome. Know it well. There's lots of that going around.

I felt the same way when I started teaching.
Is there a cure for this dreaded WIS?? ;)

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
There is no cure. Good quality European chocolate dulls the pain.

Sandy J

In a state of denial...
Registered
Reaction score
There is no cure. Good quality European chocolate dulls the pain.

I'll have to explore that fully! :D

Any other good advice for a Nationals virgin??

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
... Jodi, you're missing out on a LOT at conference! Most writers are hermits by nature, but we have a load of fun when we put ourselves out there...

I'm sure I am. Probably, if my husband went to things with me, I'd do more. Even when I go to work conferences, I don't do anything but classes, my room, classes, my room. I even order room service to avoid going out. If he's with me, I do more.

I'm sure, though, everyone will have a great time. It seemed like everyone has at the one's I've been to.

SandyJ--you'll have a blast. Enjoy.

If ya'll can spot me, say hi. I'll be the one furtively dashing away and lurking at classes.

Susan Gable

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
I'll have to explore that fully! :D

Any other good advice for a Nationals virgin??

#1 - Comfortable shoes! You will actually be doing a lot of walking, so make sure your shoes are comfie. Also, bring a sweater or something like that because the temperature in the workshops varies greatly. You could swelter in one and freeze in another.

#2 - If you go to a workshop, and realize partway through that the workshop is not one for you, don't be afraid to get up and leave. Different strokes for different folks totally applies to workshops, too. If you feel funny about ducking out of a workshop in progress, check your watch first and act like you have an appointment -- which actually happens often, so who's to know? <G> My theory is you've spent a lot of money/time to go to conference -- you should not waste your valuable time sitting in a workshop that's not going to benefit you. Be polite about it, but you can duck out. You can also duck into a different one, though you might have to stand in the back if it's a popular workshop.

#3 - Place your order for workshop CDs early at the conference to avoid the mad rush to order towards the end of conference. (I forget what the price is, but it's a great deal to get all the workshops on CD.)

#4 - Be prepared with empty luggage space for the free books, or be prepared to ship a box of books home, because the bounty of free books at National can be staggering. <G> (I discovered this the first year when I ducked out of a couple of workshops, and looking for something else to do, stumbled into a few book-giveaway signings. WOW. And be careful. Sometimes those things can get out of control. Manners are always appreciated in those giveaways, because I swear, sometimes it's worse than a clearance sale. Try to avoid being trampled if people get crazy.) Even though it will cost you to ship the books, it still won't come close to the price of all those books. :)

#5 - Smile and talk to people. Remember, many other folks are also feeling a bit out of their element. Many writers are introverts. "What do you write?" is a great question to spark initial conversation. u You may meet your new best friend at this conference. :) It's all about networking. You never know who you'll be in the elevator with.

#6 - Speaking of elevators, since you never know who you'll be in the elevator with, that's not the time to have a conversation with a friend dissing any agent, editor or publisher. Or even another writer. Cause you just don't KNOW. This tip pretty much applies to all public areas of the conference.

#7 - Don't interupt private conversations with editors and agents. (Lord, and sometimes that's easier said than done. LOL. Last year I mistook my friend's editor for someone else, and plopped myself down in the middle of their conversation. I don't think I'll ever get over the embarassment from that one. LOl. My face turned beet red, for real. So, if you do make a stupid blunder like that, apologize profusely and disappear. <G>)

#8 - If you use a pen name, when you check into the hotel, ask them to list your room in BOTH of your names, so that people who don't remember your real name can still leave messages for you.

#9 - Try to have FUN. :)

If I think of anything else, I'll add to this list. (Oh, exchanging cell phone numbers in advance is a good way to hook up with people.)

Susan G.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.