• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Manus & Associates Literary Agency

spywriter

Can anyone tell me about MANUS LIT agency? They have asked to read my first 30.

THANKS!

spywriter

Re: MANUS LIT

Thanks for the thumbs up Victoria. I had queried them a while ago and they are just now getting back to me. If they like me, I will break contract with my current agent (I have a clause) and go with them. I like my current agent, but I am starting to suspect that she doesn't have the contacts she needs for my novel. I think that her intentions are pure, but I also don't think there is any chemistry between us. I got Al Zuckerman's attention first, but I couldn't get past one of his readers...she said she "couldn't relate". Honestly, I was so thrilled that Writer's House would look at such a newbie, I can't be too upset. Hopefully Manus will be different.

Anyway...I will keep you guys posted!!!! Watch...the day I break contract, my current agent will have some million dollar deal for me...isn't that Murphy's Law?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
So, what happened?! :)

MightyScribbler

Registered
Reaction score
Jandy Nelson

She's with Manus and Associates. Anyone have experience with her? She's the only one there who does thrillers so I'm curious for more info, but I couldn't find much on PublishersMarketplace, though she was on AgentQuery and according to them a member of AAR.

plugger

Registered
Reaction score
I can't recall the details, but she checked out OK. I happened to have sent a query to Janet Wilkens Manus yesterday, so the agency name was familiar.

Good luck.

just_a_girl

Registered
Reaction score
I heard about her through a friend who heard about her through a former classmate. She got the classmate a huge bookdeal with a major publisher. Unfortunately, when I queried her I got back a form rejection:cry:

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone had recent experience with these guys? Or has anyone worked with Jillian Manus? Thanks.

alias octavia

smooshed
Registered
Reaction score
Reviving this old thread... anyone have recent query experience with Jillian Manus? I snail mailed the query and first 30 pp ~ 3 months ago and have not received a response. The website - http://www.manuslit.com/flash/index.html - says they reply to all snail mail submissions. So, just wondering if that is true or I should write this one off. Many thanks.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Have you queried for status yet? If not, drop them a line to confirm they received it and when you'll hear back.

leigh78

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Thoughts? I would like to query this agency but my problem is: I write mystery and Janet Wilkens Manus is the one that represents the mystery genre. And she doesn’t accept open queries. Three of the other agents will accept open queries. Should I query Jillian W. Manus, even though she doesn’t represent my genre, and hope that if she finds my query interesting she’ll pass it on to Janet?
I guess the worst case scenario is that I either receive a form rejection or don’t hear back at all – huh? Do you think it’s worth a shot?

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
Should I query Jillian W. Manus, even though she doesn’t represent my genre, and hope that if she finds my query interesting she’ll pass it on to Janet?
I guess the worst case scenario is that I either receive a form rejection or don’t hear back at all – huh? Do you think it’s worth a shot?

As you say, what's the worst that could happen? It's not like they're going to put you on an industry-wide blacklist or something. And all it's going to cost you is the time to cut-and-paste an e-mail query. Go for it!

ILSinTexas

requiescat in pace
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone queried Stephanie Lee recently? She might be a fit for my book.

Thanks in advance,

ILS

Creole Lady

Registered
Reaction score
On 10/6 sent snail mail query plus 30 pages toJillian Manus per their website. Have heard not a peep. Website does not give timeframe, merely suggest that writers "be patient with us."
When to I nudge?

Creole Lady

Registered
Reaction score
Finally received a polite rejection from Manus Agency, four months after snail mailing my query and 30 pages of y ms.

Vivia

Registered
Reaction score
I tried to query Dena Fischer today at [email protected], but got an error message from gmail saying the mail could not be delivered.
Did she change her email? On the website it's still the one above.

poppyI

Registered
Reaction score
Manus and associates email doesn't work. I tried to query Mrs. Janet, anyone knows details or an update?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Not a word of it on their site, but according to QT, they closed December '15.
"Thank you for contacting Manus & Associates. Unfortunately, we are shutting our doors at the end of this year and therefore, not taking submissions anymore. Best of luck in your future endeavors."