Should I join the Author's Guild? Is anyone here a member?

Status
Not open for further replies.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I meet their qualifications, and I can pony up the $90 yearly cost with no problem. But what are the benefits? How does it help the author? Plus, I've heard they have good health insurance, but I didn't see Kentucky on their brief list.

Do agents and/or publishers consider an author more if he is in the Author's Guild?

Thoughts?

allen

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I would join if I qualified, it's probably the most influential writer's organization in the United States. I am considering the Writer's Union, since I can get accepted there, but their insurance does not cover Oklahoma where I reside as yet. And they are not quite so influential, of course.

Regards,
Scott

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Do agents and/or publishers consider an author more if he is in the Author's Guild?

I don't know exactly the benefits of joining the guild. Maybe I'm missing something -- more like a club than something truly useful. At least with the Screen Actors Guild, it's a union and I get pension, health insurance, contract protection, etc. not to mention union work.

Their eligibility is one book by established publisher or a few published works by established periodicals -- hardly restrictive enough for publishers or agents to take notice -- your actual writing credits seem to carry more weight than a guild membership. I mean, even I qualify. With WGA you need to accumulate so many points before you can join.

I don't know.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it makes a difference to agents and publishers, save for the fact that it means you've been published before -- but that you'd tell them straight out instead of letting Authors Guild membership speak for you.

I am not currently a member but plan to join; if I ever hope to write full-time, I'll need that kind of help on the health insurance.

Novelhistorian

Registered
Reaction score
I've been a member of the Authors Guild for ten years, and I recommend it, even though I can't benefit from the health insurance. Through the AG, I maintain my website, at nominal cost (tax deductible, of course), using the free web-building tools, a huge help for a computer idiot like me. The booklet the AG puts out on contracts is a must-have; it explains what the clauses mean to the author, what you should ask for, and what you shouldn't accept. The AG's legal staff will vet a contract for you for free or answer a question relating to it; I once had a question about foreign rights that was resolved quickly and clearly.

Though there's a lot of fluff in the quarterly newsletter, it, too, can be useful, particularly concerning legal issues like copyright or libel. Twice a year or so, their round-table discussions (whose transcripts appear in the newsletter) offer worthwhile information on industry trends.

Finally, the Authors Guild takes stances I approve of, opposing censorship and standing up for authors' rights, often filing friends-of-the-court briefs on issues like the Mickey Mouse copyright law, or taking a more active position, as with the suit against Google. Most recently, the AG was mobilizing opinion against the dead celebrities bill before the New York State legislature, brought up on AW a few days ago.

I wouldn't mention membership in the AG as a hook for an agent or editor. The only thing it proves is that you've been published, and your query will already say that.

Ninety bucks a year is real money, even though it's tax deductible. But I think I've gotten good value for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.