Agents and Fees

Status
Not open for further replies.

barleybree

Registered
Reaction score
Well, it seems now that I have joined up here, I'm full of questions! I hope ya'll don't mind one more.

I've looked over the board and read on various writers’ sites that any agent worth their salt will never ask for upfront fees. My question is, is it legit for an agent to ask for the cost of postage and photocopies, ("up to a point" is I think how they stated it) my manuscript is being reviewed by Firebrand and I was just wondering if their claim that they charge for this is on the up and up?

Thanks!

Symphony

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Think you'll find the answers to this on the Bewards and Background board - lots of discussion about this over there.

Symphony

giftedrhonda

Gifted Goofball
Registered
Reaction score
Firebrand is totally legit.

And yes, some legit agents do charge for copying/shipping fees. Others will keep tallying it and take it out of their 15% when they sell your book (fingers crossed, right?). :D

I agree with Symphony, though--there's lots of great discussion all over this board about those things.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Agents

It's perfectly legitimate for an agent to ask for excessive photocopy and mailing fees, but this should not be paid upfront. Any such fees should be taken out of the advance after the book sells.

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
When your novel sells and you get your first check from the publisher, you'll see that the agent has taken out her commission and a fee for photocopying. (I think I paid 100 bucks.)

But that's after you get paid, never before. Never before.

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
But Firebrand is still legit. :D

barleybree

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys! Your advice is a great help. I do hope I get an offer from Nadia. She seems slightly disorganized, but I can deal with that if she sells my book!

giftedrhonda

Gifted Goofball
Registered
Reaction score
Firebrand has made some fabulous sales--go check them out in PM and decide for yourself.

And James is right--"legit" doesn't always mean good for the writer. That's why you can go check out their deals and decide if it's best for you. :D

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Firebrand has made some fabulous sales--go check them out in PM and decide for yourself.

And James is right--"legit" doesn't always mean good for the writer. That's why you can go check out their deals and decide if it's best for you. :D

Fabulous sales should mean the agent has no need to charge writers anything upfront. When it doesn't mean this, the writer is getting a bad deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.