PDA

View Full Version : A nice new promotion - through the Church!

aruna
06-27-2007, 01:52 PM
You may not have heard of the World Day of Prayer (http://www.worlddayofprayer.net/), but it's - well, here's a bit from the above website:

World Day of Prayer is a worldwide movement of Christian women of many traditions who come together to observe a common day of prayer each year, and who, in many countries, have a continuing relationship in prayer and service.
™ It is a movement initiated and carried out by women in more than 170 countries and regions.
™ It is a movement symbolized by an annual day of celebration – the first Friday of March – to which all people are welcome.
™ It is a movement which brings together women of various races, cultures and traditions in closer fellowship, understanding and action throughout the year.

Each year, a new country organises the service, and next year that country is - Guyana., my home country!

I have been selected as Guyana's representative for the World Day of Prayer in Germany, which means I have to teach just about the entire population of German Christian women about Guyana in a series of workshops.

The first national workshop was yesterday, there are three more coming up in July and then all through the autumn in the separate states; I've already been booked for four workshops in Bavaria and the other states are all trying to book me our for the whole of September through November. - Il have to tuen most of them down as by then I'll be living in England.

Since there are few Guyanese living in Germany they were delighted to get someone who is not only Guyanese but a real living author published in German, and now all these women are reading my novels!

They had a book sale at the workshop and just about all the women there bought my two German-edition novels. These women are leaders in their own Christian communities, so they will go home and if they like the books (and the feedback till now has been excellent!) they will no doubt promote them at home - the books are partly set in Guyana and have to do with the problems there, so they see the books as a great way of discovering Guyana.

There was a journalist there, who is the editor of the German Catholic woman's magazine - she came specifically to interview me, and she too bought signed copies of my books. This magazine has a circulation of 200000! And probably the other church magazines (all churches are taking part) will do the same. And it is probably going to be the cover article, like last year's was!

OK, this is not about me or the books, it's about Guyana and raising awareness of us and our problems in Germany. That's the main thing. However, I have always had in the back of my mind somehow rasing money for projects in Guyana, and this will help. I arranged with them that from every book sold, €1.50 will go to a Guyanese charity!

Another nice thing is that this coincides with a new German edition of my books, both of which have snazzy new covers, and are now much cheaper. They cost only €6 and €7, which is really cheap by any standards, so there could very well be new life for these books, which I had imagined dead... all very nice indeed!

I have not yet paid back the advance on them and had given up on that hope, but with this new interest anything could happen.

Anyway, if you are churchgoer don't forget to check out the World Day of Prayer service in your own community next year - it's on the first Friday in March 2008, and it's going to be all about Guyana.

oarsman
06-27-2007, 03:42 PM
Wow, that's a nice way to promote your novels and Guyana. Exciting! :)

Shwebb
06-27-2007, 04:08 PM
Sharon, that's awesome! Congrats! How exciting for you to get to do this and introduce more people to your work, in the process. Wonderful!

Saundra Julian
06-27-2007, 04:25 PM
Congratulations on being a part of such a worthy cause.

Danger Jane
06-27-2007, 07:44 PM
aruna, that is AWESOME. Congrats.

Susie
06-27-2007, 09:38 PM
Aruna, that is wonderful and quite a deserve honor. Congrats & way2go!

David McAfee
06-27-2007, 11:01 PM
That is exceedingly cool, Aruna. Congrats!

Cindyh2k
06-28-2007, 03:00 AM
Congrats Aruna! That is wonderful - for the cause and for yourself as an author!

Cindy

Sury
06-28-2007, 06:58 AM
They couldn't have chosen a better person for the job. I wish you well with this project, Aruna, and hope you sell a lot of books. :)

Sury

aruna
06-28-2007, 07:01 AM
Thanks to everyone - I am really enjoying this work,. and it;s nice to have the side-effect of selling books!
I was amazed at the depth of interst these women have on Guyana. Even before the workshop they had been reading up, and in some cases they knew more than I did insome areas. They had me stymied with some of their questions. I know that a lot of good is going to come of this!

Southern_girl29
06-28-2007, 08:19 AM
Aruna, that's wonderful. I always do a story every year on our local observance of this day. Maybe we could set up a feature and I could run it along with the information about the local stuff.

aruna
06-28-2007, 09:13 AM
Aruna, that's wonderful. I always do a story every year on our local observance of this day. Maybe we could set up a feature and I could run it along with the information about the local stuff.

Thank you! I am sure there are many Guyanese living a lot nearer to you than I am but in case you need any info just contact me!

BTW I haev put up the text of my introductory presentation on my website. It's just a personal essay, memories of a childhood in Guyana, but anyone interested just click the link on my home page!

Toothpaste
06-28-2007, 04:26 PM
Wow that is really impressive, and I couldn't help but be intimidated by the amount of work you have to do for this project! Anyway, you have my utmost respect, and congrats as well! Well done!

aruna
06-28-2007, 08:15 PM
Thanks, toothpaste! it's nice when something like this drops into your lap, something you could never have planned for. The workshops do have me a bit nervous, though. I am notorious for not being able to remember figures and the wanted figures, dates, numbers... I have to do a lot of readingbefore the next workshop!

And today I got a new invitation for 3 more workshops in January!

Pat~
06-28-2007, 08:54 PM
Congratulations, Aruna--sharing with them about Guyana sounds like something right up your alley; I hope it helps sell some more books as well.

Sean D. Schaffer
06-28-2007, 10:53 PM
Wow, Aruna! That is quite an honor. Congratulations to you and to your home country.

I think this is outstanding news.

:hooray:

Soccer Mom
06-28-2007, 11:58 PM
How cool is all this?

What fantastic news.

Susan B
06-29-2007, 07:45 AM
Congratulations, Sharon, you deserve it! And how wonderful that you are donating part of the proceeds of book sales, too.

Susan

aruna
06-29-2007, 08:10 AM
Thanks for all your kind words!

Congratulations, Sharon, you deserve it! And how wonderful that you are donating part of the proceeds of book sales, too.

Susan

I'd better make a correction - quickly: It;s not me who's doing the donating. I'm not yet earning royalties from these books, as they have not earned out their advance (which is part of why I'm surprosed at their resurrection!).
The donation was indeed my idea, but it's between the church organisors and the booksstore who provides the books - I don't know the details, but between them they worked some deal out by which Guyana gets a donation.