I'll be in NYC, any suggestions?

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll be in NYC in about 3 weeks. I'd like to do some fun interesting things...perhaps see a play, maybe if I can stay awake, Letterman or someshow like that :) so far I know I'll do the Met.

What are your ideas and suggestions--be there about 5 days. Good eats, must do's...links where to get tixs for shows (only can see one) Last time I was there was on someone elses schedule. This will be nice... :)

thank you

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to our city!

Definitely go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and wear your comfy shoes when you go.

I don't know what kind of shows you like, but if mature content is no barrier, consider "Spring Awakening."

Swear to me now that you will not eat at a single chain restaurant for the duration of your stay.

Have fun!

Akuma

Rare Writer Pokemon
Registered
Reaction score
If you have extra money, be generous with street entertainers.

I remember seeing a fantastic acrobat there, attracting a crowd. "Come on and see," he yelled. "Don't be afraid of the black man!"

I laughed so hard I had to give him some money after that. :D

The Grift

Tom Swiftly's Favorite Adverb
Registered
Reaction score
perhaps see a play, maybe if I can stay awake, Letterman or someshow like that :) so far I know I'll do the Met.

Letterman and all of those shows are actually filmed around 4 in the afternoon, so that's not an issue. Go to the websites of those stations and put your name in the lotteries as soon as possible. It may be too late already!

All the museums are good.

TKTS offers play tickets for heavily discounted prices the day of the shows.

I lived there for about 5 years, and go back frequently, but I was mostly a downtown kind of guy. There is so much to do in NYC that you would have to narrow down what sort of things you enjoy. Would you rather go to a Mets game, a night at the Met opera, or listen to unusually metered jazz? Do you think you would prefer the high-class pecuniary elitism of the upper east-side, or the Bohemian intellectual elitism of the Village? Drunken frat kids from Columbia, or drunken NYU kids who didn't get into Columbia?

You should also check the calendars for the exact days you'll be there. There are readings and book signings every day in many bookstores, there's always hundreds of bands playing in the city on any given night, and special events are so frequent as to not be special anymore.

Regardless, have fun, and remember that NYC can get HOT in July... so hydrate and wear something linen!

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't sleep in the subway, darlin'.
Don't stand in the pouring rain.

Sorry. Couldn't resist. Then kew, then kew, :thankyou: then...ow. Who threw that?!

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
I was there last weekend in fact. Go have your picture taken in Times Square with the Naked Cowboy (can't miss him), get tickets if you can for a broadway matinee, hop the ferry for the Statue of Liberty and have a kraut dog from a Sabrett's yellow/blue umbrella'd street vendor. If you're up early, go to Rockefeller Plaza for the Today show and head to the Top of the Rock for an amazing view. :D

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all, sound so fun and exciting.
Good eats? :)

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ok for play--Wicked or Les Mis and which site is safest to buy wicked as you can't buy at Ticket Booth in Times Square?

Reaction score
Pay no attention to signs like this.

75639521_7b8cd55a15.jpg

It's just a trick we play on tourists. Go on down. You'll be fine.

Oh and go see a Yankee game.

The Mets may be having a better year, but I assure you in 50 years when you talk to your grandchildren you'd rather say "I went to Yankee Stadium where Babe Ruth and Joe Dimaggio and Mickey Mantle and Derek Jeter played" instead of "I went to a blue monstrosity in Flushing called Shea stadium where Ed Kranepool and Paul LoDoca played."

Last edited:

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pick me up some knock-off Fendi bags in Chinatown. Ones that match my hair bow.
Well...well...will you bail me outta jail? I..I-- think they arrest for that, but , but, but, your kitty may need it to compliment the wardrobe! Yes indeed!! ;)

gerrydodge

Registered
Reaction score
Quattro Gatti (Four Cats) is on 82nd between 2nd and 3rd--I think, check Zaggats--great Italian or Arturos where Giulianni used to go when he was Mayor on 85th and York. The Whitney Museum has a show on the 60's which sounds pretty cool. Yes, go to the Metropolitan and the Jewish Museum on 91st and 5th, they have a lot of Marc Chagall. The Guggenheim is great--designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. It spirals up as you look at the art. And, of course, the MOMA. God, also walk around the Village. Oh, and go to the Old Town Bar on 18th and 6th--I think. Very old bar and Billy Collins, Frank McCourt, Nick Hornby go there. If you stay around 5th ave. you can walk around and see Random House, St. Martins, Simon and Schuester, and Harper Collins.
Have fun!

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Quattro Gatti (Four Cats) is on 82nd between 2nd and 3rd--I think, check Zaggats--great Italian or Arturos where Giulianni used to go when he was Mayor on 85th and York. The Whitney Museum has a show on the 60's which sounds pretty cool. Yes, go to the Metropolitan and the Jewish Museum on 91st and 5th, they have a lot of Marc Chagall. The Guggenheim is great--designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. It spirals up as you look at the art. And, of course, the MOMA. God, also walk around the Village. Oh, and go to the Old Town Bar on 18th and 6th--I think. Very old bar and Billy Collins, Frank McCourt, Nick Hornby go there. If you stay around 5th ave. you can walk around and see Random House, St. Martins, Simon and Schuester, and Harper Collins.
Have fun!
Do you mean Greenwich Village? What about Soho--Chinatown, should I go?

And still looking online for presale tix on Les Miser and Wicked!

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
On the corner of 10th Avenue and 19th Street there is a fantastic little pub - Moran's. If you hit a show, go there first and park around the corner - no meters and it's a quiet row of brownstones.(At least it used to be, I haven't been there in a few years.) Catch a cab after dinner to hit the theatre district.

If you go to see Les Miz, you want to try to get mezzanine tix, dead center - trust me. I know a guy who's a total theatre nut and he recommended that to us when we went - the best seats for that show. Afterwards, walk a block or so away from the theatre so you aren't trying to catch a cab with the rest of the crowd.

Definitely try to see a Yankees game - and get there early to tour Monument Park. You'll get chills just walking through there if you're any kind of a baseball fan.

Just don't gawk up at the buildings - that'll give you away as a tourist immediately.

Last edited:

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
On the corner of 10th and 19th there is a fantastic little pub - Moran's.

If you go to see Les Miz, you want to try to get mezzanine tix, dead center - trust me. I know a guy who's a total theatre nut and he recommended that to us when we went - the best seats for that show.

Definitely try to see a Yankees game - and get there early to tour Monument Park. You'll get chills just walking through there if you're any kind of a baseball fan.

Just don't gawk up at the buildings - that'll give you away as a tourist immediately.
But they're soo tall and pretty, just a little huh?:D Hubby maybe on Yankees me... a football fan...

gerrydodge

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not really big on Broadway plays, but you should go to have the experience. Right on Times Square you used to be able to go to where the triangle is on 42nd street and wait in line and get tickets for half price for almost all the plays. A friend of mine is the percussionist for THE PRODUCERS, but I don't know if that is funny or not.
Yes, Greenwhich Village, Soho, Chinatown, Tri Becca, they're all close together.