• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

I'm Looking for a Mentor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilcat

Hi,

Over the years, I've written articles, essays, and poetry; and I've also started (but never finished) a couple of short stories. I have never been published (or even attempted to get pubished). I'm now going to write a nonfiction book (and hopefuly get published), which is something I've always wanted to do but never have until this point. I have several books I want to write, but I've settled on writing my first one about my rocky relationship with my mother, who had a stroke and then later died of a brain tumor. The message of the book is that a person should cherish the time he or she has with a parent in spite of the conflicts in the relationship, because once the parent is gone, the parent is gone forever. I haven't written the first word yet, but I have most of it in my head. :) I'm hoping to find someone who can help with the following:

Direction: More initially and then from time to time later if I get stuck.

Feedback: Honest, straightforward, criticism of my work. If it's not good, I want to know about it; if it *is* good, I want to know about it. :)

Motivation: Since this is a hard topic, I may from time to time need a "jump start" if I get to a point in the story that's difficult emotionally.

Publishing: I may need some advice on where/how to submit my book. Note: I do not want to go the self-publishing route.

Idea Bouncing: I have a couple of ideas for sections of the book that I'm not sure are good ones, so I'd like to get some feedback on those ideas.

As far as credentials are concerned, since this is my first book, I think I need someone who has some experience and probably someone who is published, but I honestly am not sure on this point.

Just so it's clear: I'm not looking for a writing partner.
I hope this is enough information; if not, please email me at [email protected]. It's a lot to ask of someone, especially with everyone having such busy schedules, but I could really use the help.

Thanks, and have a great week.
Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.