Book Writing Contests...

Status
Not open for further replies.

STORMTURNER

Has anyone heard of book writing contests? I previously wrote screenplays and they are tons of contests in that market. I haven't found any for novels. Please advise.

Jules Hall

I don't know of any for novels, but there are many for short stories. And I know of at least one person for whom winning a short story contest led directly to a sale of a novel to the publisher that organised the contest, so if you can write short stories well, that may be a useful approach.

veingloree

The UK cHannel 4 website had a contest for a childrens book proposal recently.

James D Macdonald

Every book publisher in the world is holding a contest every day. The entry is called "submission" and the prize is "publication."

Gala

Contests can level the playing field.
You don't need and agent to enter a contest.
Winning or placing in a contest can lead to a publishing contract.

For example, at Bouchercon Las Vegas last year, an editor from Shribener was on a panel with her newly published author. She found the author in a magazine that had published her--you guessed it--winning entry. The editor liked the fresh voice of this writer. And we know how those editors are dying for a fresh voice to work with.

I'm not into entering contests, but writing associates of mine to and thrive on it. They love the competition and it motivates them to finish their work.

On occassion foundations and such offer big bucks for a winning novel. These can range from contracts to fellowships.

You may notice book jackets mention what contests the novelist has won. Often those are after-pub contests, but not all.

Good luck finding a contest. I'd check with your librarian as he may have resources the usual google doesn't reveal.

Jamesaritchie

Some contests can be helpful, but not many, and they're usually the long way around. If you're a good enough writer to win a contest, you're also good enough to find an agent and a publisher without going near a contest.

There are writers out there who have done well by winning contests, but they're very few and very far between in the overall picture.

All that time spent entering contests is usually far better spent trying to get a good agent. And as I said, if you can write well enough to win one of the few meaningful contests, you won;t have any problems finding a good agent and a publisher.

Stace001

writersdigest.com have contests for novels, and also short stories. Check them out.

maestrowork

Personally, I'd rather focus on getting my short stories and novel published than entering them in a contest.

Gala

contests

fwiw I've judged small and large contests. This has come in handy on occasion as a writing credential; don't know why becuase I learned, as one co-judge put it, "any bozo can judge a contest". Too often a judge is someone's kid or husband who doesn't know squat, because no one else would volunteer.

I know the inside of contests; how they're created, set up, run, judged. Even so-called qualified judges can be inept. But winners love to win, it makes them happy and they get mileage out of it especially when a victory reading is involved.

I hope you find the novel contest you're looking for. Can you let us know?

Wait--I have entered National Novel Writing Month twice and won. You must write a 50k novel in November to win. And yes, writers in my community are suitably impressed with my feat. (I've read excerpts they enjoyed, that helps too.)

vstrauss

IMO, unless the contest is conducted by a genuninely prestigious organization, or by a reputable publisher where the prize is a publication contract, writers' time is better spent submitting to agents or publishers.

- Victoria

Gala

IMO, unless the contest is conducted by a genuninely prestigious organization, or by a reputable publisher where the prize is a publication contract.

Remember, writers are the sought product.

Question: genuninely prestigious organization. Can you clarify?

Thanks, Gala.

vstrauss

>>Question: genuninely prestigious organization. Can you clarify?<<

Prestigious or instantly recognizable--a contest conducted by a recognized literary journal, like the one at Atlantic Monthly, or by a writers' organization, such as RWA's Golden Heart Award for an unpublished romance novel.

- Victoria

Metahari

(I apologize for bringing this back up, I just saw the replies)

I think the best thing about these contests for new writers is, an established criteria and deadline. There are feats some people can only accomplish when under a deadline. Having a finished product finished for these deadlines is a great accomplishment.

Even if you don't end up in the running, you've finished a piece, and polished it enough to give over to people who are ready to judge it. If your piece gets nowhere in the contest, you still have a polished piece of work you can use for other submissions. It may be a piece that only needs a bit more work to you can get it into publishing shape down the road.

If a contest is what you need to get yourself in motion, go for it.

drmelvinblair

I really think I like Unca Jim's response the best, but as a newbie I have a question:

Archebooks is sponsoring a contest with this very site. They are charging an entry fee of $20.00. Anybody familiar with this contest? Any comments or suggestions on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.