The Little Shop Around the Corner

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
Has anyone seen this movie? It is a 1940's movie starring Jimmy Stewart, it was remade in the 90's as "You've Got Mail" with Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan.

Not terribly surprising, yet when I thought about it at four am this morning when ONCE again I was sleepless, the theme (1940's version) is akin to cyber dating.

So many people think that getting to know someone via a written media (meaning in this case the Internet) is a new idea and yet there they were in 1940 talking about the very same issues people deal with today in connecting with each other in that medium.

So, maybe this isn't news to you all but I hadn't really thought about it before, that this whole concept isn't new.

Btw, loved the movie and always find Jimmy Stewart a pleasure to watch.

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's one of my favorite movies, Kim. And much better than "You've Got Mail," IMO. The chemistry between Stewart and Sullavan was grand.

BTW, there was some speculation that Stewart and Sullavan might've become an item, had not one or both of them been married. They remained good friends, as I recall from reading about them. (Sullavan was once married to Henry Fonda, who was one of Stewart's best friends.)

There's an unabashed sweetness to this movie that I just love.

Serenity

NCIS...
Registered
Reaction score
...cause sometimes you just need a slap on the hea
One of the first Jimmy Stewart movies I ever watched was Sgt. York. My dad loved Jimmy Stewart. I admit I've never seen The Shop Around the Corner, but I knew that You've Got Mail was based on it. I'll have to find it now.

The only one of his films that's really hard for me to watch is It's a Wonderful Life. Not because it's a bad film, quite the contrary! But I grew up in Indiana, Pennsylvania (Stewart's hometown) and the whole county goes crazy around Christmas becoming 'Bedford Falls'. I kind of tapped out on it a looooooooooooooong time ago.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
My kids hate me because EVERY Christmas Eve, I get out my silver, limited edition of It's a wonderful life and play it while I bake the pies and rolls for the next day.

Cues music "It's a Wonderful Life" starring Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed.

"NO! Mom, no...not again. Please, not this one, any other one but this one."

Me: breaks out into song
"Tradition...Tradition!"

Yeah they love me but sometimes they hate me. ;)

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I love old movies, and Shop Around The corner is no exception there. I thought it was a great old movie.
and speaking of Jimmy Stewart, my favorite role of his was The Philadelphia Story, playing Macauley Connor. He plays "drunk" really well, and absolutely hysterically.
Of course how can you go wrong with Stewart, Hepburn and Grant all in one flick?

(I'm a fan of Jimmy Stewart but a Bigger fan of Cary Grant.)

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
It is largely due to watching him in the Glenn Miller story that I bought a copy of Glenn Miller's music. It reminds me of my parents when I was a really tiny girl.

I think that is why the classical movies mean so much to me. Along with a class I took last fall semester in Film Production and we sat every friday for 2 hours watching old films, understanding the genre in which they were done and how the various elements went into making them so wonderful.

We watched the greats. Though I came to disagree with the American Movie Academy in their declaration that Citizen Kane. I think that honor should to to: The Best Years of Our Lives. A film about WWII and it affect three different soldiers of different ranks and their families. If you get a chance to see it, remember this spoiler: You are going to cry.

Azure Skye

Huh?
Registered
Reaction score
Jimmy Stewart is my boyfriend. I love that man. Mm! That was a great movie too.

Serenity

NCIS...
Registered
Reaction score
...cause sometimes you just need a slap on the hea
Jimmy Stewart is my boyfriend. I love that man. Mm! That was a great movie too.

Well, if you are ever in Western Pennsylvania (say Pittsburgh), travel 45 minutes to the west to Indiana, PA. Go down Philadelphia (basically Main) St. and stop when you get to the library at 7th st. The second floor is a museum dedicated to him, including the Oscar that he sent to his father. When you're done there, walk out of the side door and turn right. Go two blocks and climb up the side of a rather steep hill (there are steps), this will take you up to Vinegar Hill and his boyhood home.

It's a really pretty area.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
When I was a Mormon, which was some time ago now, He donated his movie collection of his own films to the Brigham Young University. Since as long as I can remember the on campus movie house showed his films over and over again and herald him as one of the greatest actors of all time.

His donating his collection to BYU in his will was a very generous and sweet gesture. *sigh* Such a wonderful person. :)

Last edited:

Azure Skye

Huh?
Registered
Reaction score
Well, if you are ever in Western Pennsylvania (say Pittsburgh), travel 45 minutes to the west to Indiana, PA. Go down Philadelphia (basically Main) St. and stop when you get to the library at 7th st. The second floor is a museum dedicated to him, including the Oscar that he sent to his father. When you're done there, walk out of the side door and turn right. Go two blocks and climb up the side of a rather steep hill (there are steps), this will take you up to Vinegar Hill and his boyhood home.

It's a really pretty area.

Actually, I grew up just about an hour away from there. The last time I went home I saw the sign for the museum and vowed to myself that I would stop by on the next trip.

Thanks for the tips too.

Bad Penny

Banned
Reaction score
no worries. I recently got the Ritz Brothers confused with Ritz Crackers

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone seen this movie? It is a 1940's movie starring Jimmy Stewart, it was remade in the 90's as "You've Got Mail" with Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan.

The title is actually, "The Shop Around The Corner":

http://imdb.com/title/tt0033045/

and why this is important is because that is the name of Meg Ryan's store in "You've Got Mail."