PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know about axe-throwing?

efreysson
06-26-2007, 02:55 AM
The protagonist in my medieval-like fantasy world carries, among other things, a throwing-axe (roughly tomahawk-size) that he uses to dispatch an enemy from a distance, or even the odds when faced with superior numbers. He's quite accurate with it, having used it for over 20 years, and usually aims for the head. Does anyone know what would be a reliable range for a lethal-force hit? Or anything else I should know about this particular combat technique?

Robert L.B.
06-26-2007, 03:31 AM
Having thrown tomahawks before, I can say this.

Is there some other way he could fight? Throwing your weapon away is not a wise move, and it's actually very easy for the person to dodge that thing if he's at all aware of it incoming.

It takes quite a bit of force to get that thing to fly straight and true, so it really depends on the strength of your character.

efreysson
06-26-2007, 03:46 AM
Having thrown tomahawks before, I can say this.

Is there some other way he could fight? Throwing your weapon away is not a wise move, and it's actually very easy for the person to dodge that thing if he's at all aware of it incoming.

It takes quite a bit of force to get that thing to fly straight and true, so it really depends on the strength of your character.

Well, his primary weapon is a saber. The axe is just back-up.

wordmonkey
06-26-2007, 09:15 PM
Why aim for the head?

I mean, I can see that as the axe spins, even if it hit with the haft and not the blade, it's likely to cause a stun injury at least, but as has been pointed out, it's not a small projectile, and the head is fairly easy to move and thus avoid the hit.

Wouldn't aiming for the body-mass be a more efficient target? Bigger thing to aim for and less easy to get out of the way quickly.

You might also want to consider a smaller, specific throwing axe. That way you could have your character carry several of these and have numerous projectiles to hurl if needed.

Throwing weapons are, as has been pointed out, really a weapon of last resort. They are a "one shot" deal; can be avoided; if you miss, you just lost a weapon; if you hit you just lost a weapon; if you miss, you likely just gave an enemy a weapon; if you hit, you likely just gave the enemy's buddy a weapon.

Just my two cents. Feel free to ignore it all.

Vincent
06-27-2007, 01:30 AM
It's certainly possible to hunt with an axe. My own ancestors, after coming to Australia as convicts, soon set themselves up in the mountains and the highland plains, as far away from the English as they could get. They raised cattle and hunted native game. Gunpowder (and later bullets) was way too expensive and hard to get, so they improvised with other tools, and became quite good at it. Apparently they preferred to use small 'double bladed American axes', as family history records it, which they could throw at and hit kangaroos on the hop. For the life of me I can't remember at what range they could do it, or even if anyone still knows, but I could ask around I.