I quit

abemorgantis

Zizban
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
The end isn't near. It's here.

In the three days I have been personally attacked by two people who took my words out of context and didn't bother to read the whole discussion, because if they had, they wouldn't have had any problems with what I wrote.

I am tired of it.

Bye. I quit.

xhouseboy

In the Yellow Woods
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

In the three days I have been personally attacked by two people who took my words out of context and didn't bother to read the whole discussion, because if they had, they wouldn't have had any problems with what I wrote.

I am tired of it.

Bye. I quit.

If I was going to leave for whatever reason, I'd just leave, never to return.

It's the Net, a leisure activity, not a job.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I am tired of it.

Bye. I quit.
Sorry--remember no one likes a quitter. Ignore the attacks, and keep writing. Learn from your mistakes as well.
Don't give up, we're not all like that. :)

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't flounce, Abe - ignore - I read all of those posts and I feel both attacks were unwarranted and I'm sure I'm not the only one... Ignore it. Take a few days if you need, but don't just walk away on account of that...
Yeah, Chick is right, and I see the posts--totally not worth the quit.
C' mon back! :)

Sophia2

Registered
Reaction score
Well if you wish to be a writer/author the first thing to learn is not to take anything personally and not to be precious about your work. Everything has value when you value everything. Mercury retrograde usually has an adverse impact on communications. If you take things personally then look within at the reasons why, then you will become a better and stronger person for it.

There is a lovely poem called 'Don't Quit'.

Everything in life is for good purpose and to overcome means to overcome something positively. If you cannot do that then the attacks continue in other realities until you do overcome positively. It is the nature of the universe, we attract exactly what we need to raise our consciousness and heal.

Sophia2

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
I second stormie! What on earth did I miss? Blah, and to abemorgantis: it totally stinks when someone attacks you for whatever reason (I've had it happen before, not on this board, but on others). But keep in mind that everyone here isn't like that! If you want to leave, do so. However, if you'd like to stay, please do! This board is a fabulous one, so it draws people from all over the world. There are bound to be people here with conflicting opinions and/or who get into fights over things because everyone reacts to things differently.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
The attacks I know of were in the PAMB thread today.

You handled yourself very well. She was way out of line and rude. IMO, she owes you an apology.

That said, don't leave because someone has their panties in a knot and took it out on you. AW isn't about the PA threads. It's so much more.

Like someone else said, take a break from the PA threads and relax. In a couple days it won't bother you anymore. Someone like that, who conducts themselves in that manner, isn't worth it.

Of course, according to her, my opinion doesn't count because I don't use my real name.:e2tongue: Well, not all of it anyway...

Glenda

Registered
Reaction score
What Brianm said. Don't let what a couple say drive you away, for, it looks like you have already made so many friends here.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
I skimmed through the posts. It sounded to me like Joyce was being very defensive. That's not your fault. My suggestion: Just ignore it.

If it makes you feel any better, when I started becoming a more active poster I had a whole host of the regulars breathing down my neck for something I'd clarified earlier in the thread. Just because people are writers doesn't mean they read everything. Same stuff on any active message board, really.

BeeBomb

Registered
Reaction score
Don't quit and don't leave. Let me expand on my reason...a reason no one on this board understands.

I came to AW when PublishAmerica banned me from their boards from speaking out against some of their practices. Delighted to be a part of AW, I began posting (if you will notice my posts are few) my thoughts on the practices of PublishAmerica and how their 'authors' are treated.

Surprise! I recieved an email from someone here on the board. It came to my private personal email address (has been changed since then) telling me my posts would not be addressed or commented on regardless of how many times I posted. The email was from a bogus account on Yahoo and I had no way of knowing if it was legitmate or not. I kept my thoughts to myself and did not elaborate what came my way.

Yes, I posted again only to have what this person told me would happen. I would be ignored because my "credentials in publishing" were not up to the standards of AW and my knowledge of being published was one of stupidity. I was crushed to say the least but noticed everytime I posted the same thing happened.

The reason I jumped on you was that my original post you stated was good enough to be posted on AW but my appearances on AW is not.

Now, if the person who emailed me the "stay away from AW" is reading this post...bug off!

I should have taken the time to read all your posts but I didn't..mea culpa. Regardless of some believers, I am really not a callous person and can apologize when I am in the wrong.

Please don't leave but stand your ground and speak out against things. I should have done it when I was attacked but didn't. I went on to write various articles to subdue what the angst inside me wanted to spew.

Stay, you have valid points and are worthy of your opinion.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing your side of the story. I can't imagine an AW member sending you that kind of garbage. It makes me wonder if it may have originated from PA somehow, in retaliation to your comments about them. Just speculation on my part.

There are PA lurkers here, including Miranda. We hope that the lurkers will find something of benefit here and stay.

Last edited:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Joyce, there's no one with that kind of power here at AW. And if someone wanted to make sure that no one responded to your posts, that person would sure as fudge have to have contacted me to make sure I wouldn't reply either.

No one told me not to respond to you.

Nor could that sort of thing be kept secret.

Fake Yahoo account? Someone who knew your private email address? I'm with CatSlave on this one: Sounds like one of the honchos at PA messing with your mind.

BeeBomb

Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps you and CatSlave are correct but at the time the email was sent to me, I was just a newbie...banned from PA (they said I was just entering my password incorrect) and to tell you the truth, I had no way of knowing who the sender was. Alas, it happened and I stayed away from posting. Believe it or not, it gave me impetus to write my heart out in novels. Not all was lost.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Anything that helps you write is good.

Well, almost anything. Fifteen-to-twenty in Leavenworth wouldn't be as good as some other things I can think of.

Sending an anonymous note to someone that says "No one likes you, look, they're all ignoring you" is a mean psychological stunt. Most posts get no or very few direct replies (that includes mine, BTW). Saying it makes you look, and looking makes you notice.

FWIW I remembered you from when you posted before.

We do tend to discourage "Hiya!" and "Me too!" posts around here -- the threads are long enough as it is.

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
Abe, I've had a few stingers as well. They hurt like hell. We're human; therefore, we dwell.
I left AW for two years over it. I'd love to name-drop, but will remain a lady.
I understand stepping away. I hope you come back. I've a 'group' now that I adore, here on AW, and low & behold, when that 'stinger' thinks to attack, they show up with uber coothness, yet enable me to laugh until in pain...or spewing tea. And they, very politically, set that witch straight.

Looks like you've a 'group' yourself. Don't let 'em go. A writer's world is lonely enough.

I'd really like to see that green monster face of yours again real soon.

karey

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
New members to a busy board are almost always lost in the flood of replies. In fact, old members on a busy board are usually lost in the flood of replies, they've just grown more used to it ;)

I don't think anyone here would intentionally try and drive a new member off that was simply trying to learn and share their knowledge. There are many different opinions on the act and business of writing, and they sometimes come in conflict with each other, but the vast majority here realizes much of it is a matter of opinion and/or personal choice.

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps you and CatSlave are correct but at the time the email was sent to me, I was just a newbie...banned from PA (they said I was just entering my password incorrect) and to tell you the truth, I had no way of knowing who the sender was. Alas, it happened and I stayed away from posting. Believe it or not, it gave me impetus to write my heart out in novels. Not all was lost.

I know I'd answer your posts if I seen them Joyce.

And, anyone who gets a story in Chicken soup is plenty good enough for me.

You don't post much, but that doesn't mean you haven't been around here since 2005, like me.

Some of the new people just don't know you because you don't post much.

I think that happens with lots of us that have been here, and the new Awers haven't seen.

Those danged cliques.

I hate to see these, I'm leaving posts. It gets confusing when you see that person post again.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
If you guys are having trouble with someone you think is a member of AW -- and that goes for any of you -- you're welcome to email or PM me about it. I can't promise to resolve the situation to your satisfaction, but I'll damn sure try, and I can promise I'll look into the situation.

If you'd rather email than PM, you can use macallisterstone AT yahoo DOT com.