Job Market Pits

Mysti

Aurora, CO is my new home!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.awritersnook.com
I have been looking for a couple of months at the job market here as I would like to take advantage of the skills I do possess, rather than serving alcohol to all hours of the morning. The long nights of drunken, self absorbed and pig headed men need to come to an end soon, before I make an irrational move and just quit! The issue I'm having is that our job market really, for the lack of a better word, sucks.

I would give anything for a Monday - Friday position once again in my life.

Anyone want to be my sugar daddy????????

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
What exactly do you do? Here in LA, we apparently have so many jobs we need 12 million extra people to fill them all and pronto, amigo.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Hell yeah. But you better hurry before Mayor Reconquista surrenders the city and cedes the deed back to Mexico.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
It's tougher out there than I thought; it took close to three months before I landed another position after IBM got rid of all the contractor secretaries back in March.

BTW, if you do have clerical skills, don't overlook the agencies. Took me three resumes before one of the biggest local ones (not the one I was with, Manpower didn't do anything for us after IBM canceled the admin contract) called me in, but I landed a position the day after the interview. It can be a good way to get your foot in the door, and a lot of companies seem to use them to vet candidates for permanent positions.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I loved working in bars. After I had my first child, I thought I needed a more respectable job so I took a clerical position with the electric company. Turned out I shoulda done the math; it cut my take-home pay in half.

I went back to the bar. Then again, I always did like to flirt with drunk guys and talk them outta some cash. Drunk guys are soooo easy.

Reaction score
What's wrong with the job market?
http://www.boston.com/business/glob...cted_to_expand_slowly_on_job_market_strength/

Economy expected to expand slowly on job market strength
By Associated Press | June 22, 2007
NEW YORK -- The US economy should expand modestly in coming months as a healthy job market continues to trump weakness in housing prices, a gauge of future business activity showed yesterday.
Article ToolsThe Conference Board said its index of leading economic indicators rose a higher-than-expected 0.3 percent in May, boosted by rising stock prices, higher consumer expectations, and the availability of jobs.

The Labor Department reported yesterday that unemployment claims totaled 324,000 last week, up an unexpected 10,000 from the previous week, to the highest level since mid-April.
While the big increase was unexpected, analysts said it did not change their view that the labor market remains hardy.

:Shrug:

Looks pretty good to me, although Madame Speaker and her gang might be on the way to gacking it up.

GlengarryGlenRoss2.jpeg

"The job market's weak? The f'ing job market is weak?...You're weak."

Last edited:

tourdeforce

Banned
Reaction score
Check out the classifieds in Soldier of Fortune Magazine.

There's plenty of jobs out there.

Mysti

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.awritersnook.com
I should clarify, I do live in rural Wyoming, where the best jobs out there are in the oil field. I have been in restaurant/bar management, business management, and in my younger years, worked retail and hospitality (server) positions. I should get my butt back in school and finish off those 13 credits necessary for my associates in psychology; however the 100 mile drive one way in the winter is treacherous.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a dear friend who's been looking for an office job for several years now, while she makes ends meet doing horrific, degrading work. She insists there are no jobs out there to apply for. She's depressed and discouraged.

Another friend of hers and I were talking about this, and about whether there was anything we could do to help her besides encourage her to upgrade her skills, keep trying, blah-blah-blah. I decided to search online, checking my city's ten largest employers and following links from their sites.

In about two hours, I'd found 25 jobs she could apply for. All were office work, most requiring only a low-to-medium skill level (since her skills are rusty and she's never gotten good at Excel or Powerpoint because she won't practice), all but two full-time, nearly all in a healthcare setting but without any patient care. (Some were working the reception or billing desk at medical offices, others entirely behind the scene like in the billing office of an HMO.)

I talked with her today and she applied for one of them. One.

Don't be Kate, okay? You may have to cold-call, showing up at various businesses just to see if they need somebody, or you may have to haunt the area's websites pouncing on job postings, or maybe volunteer a few hours a week so somebody local can tell potential employers you do good office work, but the odds are good that a few jobs are there, just not out in public.

Maryn, who's going to let Kate keep wiping old men's asses and tune out her complaining

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
13 credits...that's what? 1 semester as a fulltime, another as a partime?

do it.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Call Halliburton. Ask them if they can have a couple rigs ready for the day after we take office.

The_Grand_Duchess

I record everything.
Registered
Reaction score
Bangkok, the Underground and the Holy ground.
I should clarify, I do live in rural Wyoming, where the best jobs out there are in the oil field. I have been in restaurant/bar management, business management, and in my younger years, worked retail and hospitality (server) positions. I should get my butt back in school and finish off those 13 credits necessary for my associates in psychology; however the 100 mile drive one way in the winter is treacherous.

Have you looked into completling your associates online? I mean that is just one semester. It would suck for that four month period but wouldn't the reward be that much greater.

Mysti

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.awritersnook.com
Duchess~ yes I have looked online and seeking out the best school program to complete my degree online. That is something I know will be much more rewarding in the long run; as opposed to having 'almost' completed. Checking it off my list of to-do's would be great - in many ways!

Maryn~ I promise I won't be Kate! I began looking about two months ago, and have kicked out 8 resumes since and declined two offers as the income was not high enough to meet my current living costs. I am still searching and won't give up on that quest.

Pagey's~ I will scope out the agencies in the area and see what I can come up with that way.

I am also using the contacts I've made in the bar; and following all the word of mouth leads they are sending my way.

Having a 'normal' way of life with my evenings devoted to my family is highly important to me at this point in my life. This post was definitely a vent-out as I declined my second offer today as the wage was lacking.

Mysti