Does it still mean the book sucks??

Status
Not open for further replies.

reigningcatsndogs

Too sad for words.
Registered
Reaction score
Missing Writer??? May flights of angels carry you
So if a publisher offers you a contract, and despite the fact that you did research them before sending out and thought they were okay, and then it turns out that they really aren't, so their motives may be questionable, does that still mean that the m/s that they said they would take really still sucks? If they will take just about 'anything' should I assume that mine was just a piece of garbage that they agreed to publish because it suited their needs? Do the questionable publishers take good books at all or just the ones that appear to come from desperate writers or do they still have some sort of selective process? I'm past the disappontment stage and the embarrassed stage, and I think, maybe unfortunately, that the really really angry stage is starting to wane as well. Guess that just leave blue funk on a really rainy day. Thank God this business doesn't have a 'three strikes and your out' clause.

Saundra Julian

A work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
Honey, if they're a scam, they probably didn't even read your m/s! Keep sending it out and don't let the bastards get you down...

Just Me 2021

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I wouldn't take their acceptance as a rejction or a compliment - just a business transaction. Submit it out to legit publishers (assuming you've already tried agents) and contests. Query widely, get it out to as many as possible. You've got to fling it to the public to see if you can find an audience.

If YOU love it, chances are it will resonate with someone else out there, too. I wish you the best in connecting with your intended audience - those who will love it as much as you do.

Hugs,

Just Me

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Dude, if they take anything, then it means they take anything, including good stuff.

Don't sweat it. Scams these days are so sophisticated that I wonder sometimes how everyone isn't taken in at one point. Just do a bit more research before sending it out the next time and as always: "Never give up! Never surrender!"

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
I completely agree with what's being said. Scammers probably could care less if they're holding the next Harry Potter series or someone's illeligible, hand-written 100,000 word essay on watching snails. It doesn't mean your book is bad. Keep sending your work out to legit publishers/agents and hopefully you'll get a bite from someone who's in love with your work - and who can sell it. Good luck!

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
To me, it seems abundantly clear that the quality or lack thereof of a book is irrelevant to scammers.

dantem42

Registered
Reaction score
Generally speaking, any publisher who is willing to cut you an advance check in the four figures has some degree of legitimacy. Once you cash it, there's just about no way they'll get it back. Keep a closer eye on publishers who give no advance or only a token one (one hundred dollars etc.). Some may be legit (especially some budding e-book places), but many others aren't, and are basically scams trying to find ways to sucker you into sending them money. Money has to flow TO the writer, not FROM the writer.

Some easy things to check out: what books have they published? Do they have ISBN numbers? Could you buy one on Amazon?

reigningcatsndogs

Too sad for words.
Registered
Reaction score
I guess my real problem is that I don't understand what they have to gain, especially in this case. To me it just seems cruel, especially when the publisher is a writer as well. Why does a person open a publishing company, obtain writers who sign contracts, print books, and then do nothing to sell them? And although I clearly understand the negative aspect for the writer when it comes to these publishers demanding the copyright be transfered, if the publisher does nothing to market the book then how is having the copyright a benefit to them? This company did publish in my genre, did have ISBN's, but it wasn't until I saw the contract and then really started to look that I realized what was going on.

Last edited:

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
Publish America also have ISBNs and some of the execs are also writers. Also, they get your book on Amazon, but still it is YOU who end up buying the majority of copies.

Saundra Julian

A work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
I guess my real problem is that I don't understand what they have to gain, especially in this case. To me it just seems cruel, especially when the publisher is a writer as well. Why does a person open a publishing company, obtain writers who sign contracts, print books, and then do nothing to sell them? And although I clearly understand the negative aspect for the writer when it comes to these publishers demanding the copyright be transfered, if the publisher does nothing to market the book then how is having the copyright a benefit to them? This company did publish in my genre, did have ISBN's, but it wasn't until I saw the contract and then really started to look that I realized what was going on.

They own your book and can do anything they want with it!! Never give anyone your copyright.

Many small press have no pull with book stores and do not market their titles (except online) mostly due to a lack of funds for a catalog, sales staff, and etc. They expect the author to do most or all of the marketing.

reigningcatsndogs

Too sad for words.
Registered
Reaction score
I totally understand the copyright thing and that was the reason I passed on the offer. It would be like selling my soul to the devil. It just totally escapes me why someone would go to all this trouble of setting up a company and acquiring m/s and for what? If they don't promo the book, its not going to sell so they aren't going to be rolling in dough. They could hold the best all-time ever m/s in their hands but it won't amount to anything because they don't do anything with it. The author may work to sell some copies, but if the book isn't available save through the publisher's website, and there are no reviews or releases or anything, what is the benefit to the publisher? The whole point of obtaining something by questionable methods is that you can make money from it. These guys do nothing with it, and then prevent you from doing anything else through another agent or publisher, so even when you die, you are still unknown to the world, so your work isn't worth spit. It seems that they go through an awful lot of trouble for virtually no return, and reap the benefit of destroying careers along the way. The company I was in contact with has taken copyrights from writers and makes it clear they can do anything with them, but in actual fact they do nothing. That's what confuses me. Not to imply that any publisher is criminal, that's sort of the world I know and a person doesn't plan to rob a bank simply because he coveted the pen that was chained to the counter.

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not saying this is the case with your publisher, but there are some publishing companies who make most of their money from selling copies of the author's book to the author. That's why those companies don't do much to promote the book to bookstores etc, because they are promoting it to the author. I repeat, I'm not saying your publisher is guilty of this, I am just saying there are some publishers and I will not name names, who are not upfront about who they expect to sell the books to. (the author.)

reigningcatsndogs

Too sad for words.
Registered
Reaction score
I was always under the impression that a publisher carefully selected m/s to follow-up on based on, among other things, saleability, because they don't want to invest so much money in something that will not go anywhere. That makes sense to me. -- actually, yahoo for the publishers who are selective and demand the best from us. All the rest of this nonsense just seems to pointless though -- a nobody wins thing.

dantem42

Registered
Reaction score
Publish America also have ISBNs and some of the execs are also writers. Also, they get your book on Amazon, but still it is YOU who end up buying the majority of copies.

An easy additional step is to check Amazon's sales ranking of the book, also whether they show copies in stock, and so on. Amazon won't stock copies of PA novels, and most authors are not going to buy several thousand copies of their own book, which would be necessary for it to have a respectable sales rank (ranking in the five or low six figures).

Status
Not open for further replies.