PDA

View Full Version : Signed with an agent!

Just Me 2021
06-25-2007, 06:39 PM
I signed with Ellen Pepus of EPL today! I'm so excited! Not only has Ellen worked for Greybill & English, but she has also worked as a lawyer prior to opening her own agency (should prepare her to be savvy with contracts.) She was enthusiastic and professional on the phone. Her contract is exactly what it should be and she follows AAR standards.

Best of all, I felt like we clicked on the phone. It was a great conversation. I predict a very pleasant working relationship.

I'm soooo happy this part of the process is over and I can focus on what I love best: writing! (Yes, I even enjoy revisions.)

I want to thank everyone on the forum here for all the input and information I've gleaned from reading and posting here. You all at AW are the best!

WordGypsy
06-25-2007, 06:41 PM
Wow! congrats! Must be a great feeling :)

giftedrhonda
06-25-2007, 06:42 PM
CONGRATS!!!

Pisarz
06-25-2007, 06:44 PM
Big Congratulations, Rachel!!! How great it must be to sign with an agent AND post it here!

You've worked hard and you're a great writer. You deserve happy writer things. Much good luck! :)

ap123
06-25-2007, 06:50 PM
Congratulations! This is wonderful news, thank you for sharing it. :D

RitrChick
06-25-2007, 06:53 PM
I've been waiting for the day we'd all see this post. Congratulations, Rach! It's been great to see you through this process and you can bet I'll be first in line to snap up your book.

So happy for your success! Great job! :Hug2:

Saundra Julian
06-25-2007, 06:54 PM
Wow, congratulations!

JamieFord
06-25-2007, 06:56 PM
Congrats!

Don Allen
06-25-2007, 07:22 PM
Great news and best wishes for speedy publication.....

wyntermoon
06-25-2007, 07:23 PM
Wonderful news, congratulations and much success!

zahra
06-25-2007, 07:27 PM
:hooray: :snoopy: :partyguy: :banana: :Clap: :Hail: :Trophy: :PartySmil :e2woo: :e2cheer: :e2crown: :e2drunk:

ALL THAT!!!!!

Love,
Z
XXXX

Don Allen
06-25-2007, 07:29 PM
Hey a quick question for you.. I was wondering if your agent (sounds good dosen't it) wrote you back first, called you and said she loved the material, or was it sort of a give and take on some issues before the decision was made. I'd love to know if you care to share.....thanks don

joyce
06-25-2007, 07:32 PM
:partyguy: Congratulations! I know you must be on cloud nine, ten etc. etc.

Calla Lily
06-25-2007, 07:35 PM
Congratulations!

clara bow
06-25-2007, 07:42 PM
fantastic news, big congrats!!

CaroGirl
06-25-2007, 07:49 PM
Congratulations! That's very happy news. All the best on embarking on this exciting journey!!

Susan B
06-25-2007, 07:50 PM
Congratulations! Hope you find a way of celebrating!

Susan

PS What is your book about?

Just Me 2021
06-25-2007, 08:33 PM
Thank you, Everybody! I swear, AW is the most supportive place to go as a writer. You people are so wonderful!

Don Allen, I'd love to answer your question.

My agent (Oh my God, I get shivers writing that!!!), Ellen, emailed first saying she really liked the work but that she had suggestions for revisions, and wanted to know where I was at in the submission process. I wrote her back saying I had it out on submission to several agents. She then called me (I was on the road with my three kids, on the other line with my mother when she called - I quickly pulled over to the next McDonald's playland and bought my children ice cream cones so I could call her back) and we discussed who was looking at the ms and I confirmed I knew it needed revision help. She then offered me representation.

I informed the other agents who were looking at the full ms (since two had requested exclusives and I had promised to alert them if I was offered representation.) Ellen was completely respectful and understanding and gave me two weeks to hear back from the other agents.

But Ellen is the one for me. (-: She is so enthusiastic - not just about this book, but about my writing style in general and the ideas I have for the next two books - that I know she is the one.

And can I add that my husband just sent me flowers to celebrate? It's a mighty special day.

May we all press through to hone our writing skills and find our way to publication! Cheers! <Holding up my glass to all at AW>

Just Me 2021
06-25-2007, 08:59 PM
Susan,

You asked what my book is about. It's about culture clash. It highlights the plight of an Afghan American family unjustly accused of supporting a terrorist, and also tells the story of a Caucasian family who survive a terrorist attack. The point is to show the human side of each perspective and to raise the following question: Can we simultaneously protect civil liberties and national security?

Thanks for asking!

Petroglyph
06-25-2007, 09:13 PM
How wonderful!! Congrats! (Cute story about being on the road with the kids...I can relate to that kind of juggling)

Don Allen
06-25-2007, 09:31 PM
Thank you, Everybody! I swear, AW is the most supportive place to go as a writer. You people are so wonderful!

Don Allen, I'd love to answer your question.

My agent (Oh my God, I get shivers writing that!!!), Ellen, emailed first saying she really liked the work but that she had suggestions for revisions, and wanted to know where I was at in the submission process. I wrote her back saying I had it out on submission to several agents. She then called me (I was on the road with my three kids, on the other line with my mother when she called - I quickly pulled over to the next McDonald's playland and bought my children ice cream cones so I could call her back) and we discussed who was looking at the ms and I confirmed I knew it needed revision help. She then offered me representation.

I informed the other agents who were looking at the full ms (since two had requested exclusives and I had promised to alert them if I was offered representation.) Ellen was completely respectful and understanding and gave me two weeks to hear back from the other agents.

But Ellen is the one for me. (-: She is so enthusiastic - not just about this book, but about my writing style in general and the ideas I have for the next two books - that I know she is the one.

And can I add that my husband just sent me flowers to celebrate? It's a mighty special day.

May we all press through to hone our writing skills and find our way to publication! Cheers! <Holding up my glass to all at AW>

Wow!!! I'm excited for you, it sounds like a perfect match... Thanks for the info, and I'l look forward to seeing you on the stands...

David McAfee
06-25-2007, 11:18 PM
Congratulations! You must be thrilled! WTG, Rachel. :)

janetbellinger
06-25-2007, 11:47 PM
Congratulations

Harper K
06-25-2007, 11:49 PM
That's wonderful! Congratulations! Your novel sounds really interesting -- here's to hoping for a quick sale so that all of us here can read it. ;)

triceretops
06-25-2007, 11:51 PM
Fantastic news! Proof positive that it happens every day.

Tri

Jennifer Robins
06-26-2007, 02:48 AM
Great news, I am so happy for you. Good luck.

Jennifer Robins

Sury
06-26-2007, 07:05 AM
Awesome news. CONGRATULATIONS. That sounds like a book I'd love to read. Hope it gets published soon! :)

Sury

Will Lavender
06-26-2007, 07:06 AM
Awesome, Just Me!

I'm so pleased for you.

Susan B
06-26-2007, 08:16 AM
Susan,

You asked what my book is about. It's about culture clash. It highlights the plight of an Afghan American family unjustly accused of supporting a terrorist, and also tells the story of a Caucasian family who survive a terrorist attack. The point is to show the human side of each perspective and to raise the following question: Can we simultaneously protect civil liberties and national security?

Thanks for asking!

Sounds really wonderful, and it really resonates for me. I work as a psychologist in a community in CA (Fremont) that's home to the largest Afghan community outside Afghanistan. (Featured in the best-selling novel "The Kite Runner.") So I'll definitely look forward to reading it!

Susan