Which publisher is looking for the next Davinci Code

Sophia2

Registered
Reaction score
Especially one that is based upon real evidence....

Sophia2

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
All of 'em! :D It'd be wonderful for their bottom lines.

(And I bet we'd all like to write the book that would take off like DVC. Or HP. Did you know there's going to be an HP theme park in FL? Boggles the mind. Yay for JPR! She deserves every bit of it.)

RLSMiller

Registered
Reaction score
All of 'em! :D It'd be wonderful for their bottom lines.

(And I bet we'd all like to write the book that would take off like DVC. Or HP. Did you know there's going to be an HP theme park in FL? Boggles the mind. Yay for JPR! She deserves every bit of it.)

It's JKR. I should have you arrested for misspelling my Queen's middle initial!

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm already planning my roadtrip to the HP theme park! Whoop!

Begbie

Quite a character
Registered
Reaction score
I live near Islands of Adventure... Looking forward to the Harry Potter addition.

dantem42

Registered
Reaction score
Especially one that is based upon real evidence....

Sophia2

As these things so often happen, most publishers are now in fact not spending a lot of time looking for the next Da Vinci Code (unless you simply mean a novel that comes out of nowhere and sells gazillions of copies). During the several years since the novel was released, various publishers have hyped and hooplah'd a whole slew of lookalikes, with lots of secret societies like the Knights Templar and puzzles out the wazoo, and sales of this sub-genre have tapered off a lot. I have no doubt that Dan Brown's next novel will sell very well, but nowhere near what Da Vinci Code did.

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
Most of the really huge blockbusters are also by established writers who have about three or four books already published (Dan Brown and J.K. Rowlings). Even writers who had a two million first time print run are all established, and you can count them on one hand (it's Rowlings, Grisham, Clancy, and a pair of co-writers--the info is from USA Today).

And, unfortunately, no one can predict what's going to take off and what's not. Even a best selling author can bomb on the next book. Charles Frasier had such an enormous success of Cold Mountain that he got a record setting $8M advance for his next book. It did respectably well, but not near Cold Mountain and not enough to earn out the advance. Then there are authors like Tess Gerritsen, who start doing well, and after a number of books, work their way up to landing on the New York Times BSL.

Reaction score
I'm pig sick of books involving Leonardo (as he was known; Da Vinci is incorrect), the Knights Templar or Hospitaller, codes, secret societies, anti-Catholicism, the divine feminine, when-good-priests-go-bad, the Vatican, popes, anti-popes, pope-on-a-rope, the pope smokes dope or ANYTHING vaguely DVC-ish.

So personally I don't care which publisher is looking for the next DVC; it's not a house by which I'd want to be published. Besides, I don't want to be the next Dan Brown. I want to be the first Nichola Scarletpeaches*.

*Not my real surname.

Chispa

I think that editors will at least hopefully follow what readers want to read--and after awhile, the same stories over and over again just don't work. So, something like Da Vinci Code in terms of lots of puzzles and interesting historical tidbits might work, but something with a very similar premise might not, because by now we've all read Da Vinci Code and it's not "hot" anymore. When it first came out we saw a lot of hastily-created copycats trying to take advantage of the trend, but by now... well, it was published four years ago, and four years is a long time for trends. (Sorry for a late response, was away a few days.)

Enzo

Registered
Reaction score
I was in Belgium and Holland over the past few weeks, and even there they have local thrillers about medieval religious orders and Catholic mysteries etc.

That genre has really been overdone, and if they're looking for a next Da Vinci Code, it must certainly be a story that's 1000s of lightyears removed from those subject matters.

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
I was specifically told by my agent, after I showed her a synopsis for my latest novel (which is nothing like The Da Vinci Code, but did have, at one point, a bit of a...cipher element in the plot [which I've since taken out]) to stay as far away as possible from Da Vinci Code elements or details because publishers are sick of the genre and can see, as others have said, the death shroud being lifted over it.

MathRules

Registered
Reaction score
Hell, while we're trying to have the next DVC, why not shoot for the next Bible? Didn't God sell even more than Dan Brown? Seems like, looking over the various threads, the OP has a few ideas for a new text for the religious world, anyway.

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
Don't think Sophia is hanging out in AW anymore. Hopefully she is off writing the next DVC.

JJ

gerrydodge

Registered
Reaction score
But Mark Tavani is a guy at Random House who is definitely looking for the new cutting-edge kind of deal. Smart guy, that Mark Tavani--Random House by the way.

MathRules

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I am ashamed to say that I was fishing to see if she was still here, JJ. I sorta miss that pompous drivel. She dropped a lot of havoc in a short period of time. If I had half her self-confidence, I'd have a backlist that would make Nora Roberts look like a one-time wonder!

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have yet to see any evidence in any of her posts that she actually writes anything other than...um...posts. She wanted to come here and hold forth about the truthiness of her philosophies, but not to actually write or talk about writing.

But she was entertaining.

Sophia2

Registered
Reaction score
As these things so often happen, most publishers are now in fact not spending a lot of time looking for the next Da Vinci Code (unless you simply mean a novel that comes out of nowhere and sells gazillions of copies). During the several years since the novel was released, various publishers have hyped and hooplah'd a whole slew of lookalikes, with lots of secret societies like the Knights Templar and puzzles out the wazoo, and sales of this sub-genre have tapered off a lot. I have no doubt that Dan Brown's next novel will sell very well, but nowhere near what Da Vinci Code did.

It doesn't have anything to do with the above. The only reason I mentioned Dan Brown was due to the controversial nature of the content.

Many thanks for your response.

Sophia2

Sophia2

Registered
Reaction score
I'm pig sick of books involving Leonardo (as he was known; Da Vinci is incorrect), the Knights Templar or Hospitaller, codes, secret societies, anti-Catholicism, the divine feminine, when-good-priests-go-bad, the Vatican, popes, anti-popes, pope-on-a-rope, the pope smokes dope or ANYTHING vaguely DVC-ish.

So personally I don't care which publisher is looking for the next DVC; it's not a house by which I'd want to be published. Besides, I don't want to be the next Dan Brown. I want to be the first Nichola Scarletpeaches*.*Not my real surname.

This book is using scripture for the evidence to expose the truth. I don't wish to be anyone, I am very happy to be myself. Thank you for your response.

Sophia2

Sophia2

Registered
Reaction score
Hell, while we're trying to have the next DVC, why not shoot for the next Bible? Didn't God sell even more than Dan Brown? Seems like, looking over the various threads, the OP has a few ideas for a new text for the religious world, anyway.

Well your intuition is very powerful! Yes, God does have plans, the tower of babel will come tumbling down once more.

It will be interesting to see how it evolves.

Sophia2

Sophia2

Registered
Reaction score
Don't think Sophia is hanging out in AW anymore. Hopefully she is off writing the next DVC.

JJ

Hi JJ....Yes.

I have been very busy working on the book, writing articles and getting ready for next mission abroad.

Nice to see you again.

Sophia2

Sophia2

Registered
Reaction score
But Mark Tavani is a guy at Random House who is definitely looking for the new cutting-edge kind of deal. Smart guy, that Mark Tavani--Random House by the way.

US or UK?

Many thanks

Sophia2

Sophia2

Registered
Reaction score
I have yet to see any evidence in any of her posts that she actually writes anything other than...um...posts. She wanted to come here and hold forth about the truthiness of her philosophies, but not to actually write or talk about writing.

But she was entertaining.

Glad I entertained you. If you did your research you would have discovered that I came here originally to check out an agent and I received some good advice. Unfortunately I then ventured into the Christian forum and all hell broke loose.

Sorry, I don't have time to chit chat about writing because I am busy doing it. Also don't have time to talk about philosophy either, due to walking the talk.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond to the original question. It is very much appreciated.

Have a creative day!

Sophia2

Last edited:

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for stopping by.
Take care Sophia.

ETA: 50% of threads I post, I kill...so sorry if the coin lands flip side up,
hugs