dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
For brainless summer entertainment, you can't go wrong with the new Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer.

The filmmakers clearly were comfortable with their characters, their characters' powers, and the chemistry (both comic-derived and real) of their characters and actors. Playful and smart-alecky even in crisis, just like the comics, and some really great use of each of the character's abilities both in throw-away character development scenes and actual plot development.

Jessica Alba was a little too heavily makeuped for my tastes, and it made me wonder if she's already passed her prime as America's most drop-dead gorgeous woman alive.

The other people, none of whose names I know, were great. The effects were top notch, and there was just enough of a plot to get you from scene to scene without wondering what the hell was going on without any needless plot-rehash scenes (Sam Raimi should have looked in on this film's development whilst doing Spider-man 3 for a refresher on how to do this).

All in all, a ton of fun. I saw it with both a couple that was familiar with the first movie, and a friend who'd never seen either the comics or the first movie -- he enjoyed it and said they did a great job of introducing the characters in a way that prior knowledge of the fantastic four was not necessary.

There is an "adult"-style joke about 1/3 of the way through the movie that hopefully goes over the heads of most of the kids, but it is quite possibly the funniest line I have heard in ANY of the marvel comic-book movies to date. I was both astounded and astonished that it made it into the film, but also immensely grateful and elated that it did.

Jedi Dad

Writing with Force
Registered
Reaction score
I agree that was an entertaining summer super hero movie. Stop reading if you don't want some minor spoilers...

Being a comic book reader/fan when I was younger I would have liked them to have shown more of Galactus then a fiery silouette, but I did like how they made the storm of galactus so emormous as to the size of the earth.

I agree, that Sue did not have the hot look of the first movie, the brief appearances of "Ben" were just enough I thought. Reed dancing was hysterical!!

If there is to be a third movie I would hope they go in a totally new direction and keep Doom out of #3. I know they needed a baddie to de-baddie the Surfer, but enough of this Doom, he is nowhere near as bad as the Comic Doom.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, would you say this is a good film for someone who happens to be craving a mindless, entertaining action flick with good looking men, lots of action and a touch of humor?

My idea of the perfect B-movie - but I didn't see #1.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Yes. Good looking hunks (Johnny in a semi-nude scene!) (Don't worry guys, Jessica in a COMPLETELY NUDE SCENE!!!) and tons of popcorn fun. And you don't have to have seen the first to get what's going on, as long as out of the gate you can accept there's these 4 friends/family with super powers (since that's pretty much all the first movie did was tell you how they got them).

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
This is an entirely popcorn, "don't take me too seriously" fun romp. The plot doesn't always make sense and the Silver Surfer is just silly but as a comic book popcorn action movie, it does the job to entertain. Plus goodlooking actors, campy dialogue, obligatory sets (Great Wall of China? The London Eye?)... it's a fun 2 hours but you then forget about the whole thing.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Speaking of which...

WTF IS THE LONDON EYE?!?!

Pretend the only pictures I've ever seen of London don't have a MASSIVE FERRIS-WHEEL/OBSERVATION DECK BUILT OVER THE THAMES.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
The Ferris Wheel is the British Airways London Eye... it's quite an eyesore, really, but at the same time, the view is awesome!

Alex Bravo

Registered
Reaction score
I really enjoyed the movie, and I liked it better than Spiderman 3, but I didn't like the ending. It seemed too easy.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I thought it was great fun. Definitely a popcorn movie, don't go looking for anything too deep and meaningful (other than some exploration of what it means to be a family and accept who you are).

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Goodie. When I'm in the mood for action/adventure/good lookin' guys - deep and meaningful ain't gonna cut it :D

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Take it back, CC. Jessica Alba nakedness is very deep and meaningful to me.
Well, mebbe if we actually got to see something. I can fantasize about her nekkid jes' fine and save myself the price of a ticket and munchies....

...I'll be right back. ;)

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
He's a friggin space alien. You saw those things over his eyes that looked like, oh, I dunno... eyebrows? Maybe THOSE are his genitalia, all dangling over his eyes and all.

ALLWritety

One Step closer, I hope!
Registered
Reaction score
I went to see it couple of days ago. I really liked it.

COZ: I went to see it as a movie comic book. So in that way I wasn't disapointed.

A good popcorn movie to escape for two hours or however long it was.

Kev

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
They're talking a part three and playing down the idea of a Silver Surfer spin-off.

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
Who cares if there isn't much plot...a lot of movies these days don't have a plot..

As for the ending, it was supposed to end that way (if you've read the comic books)

I've said it before and will say it again, I liked to be entertained. If I want to think i'll do something else rather than go to a movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.